PDA

View Full Version : General Rebuy Strategy

Brad22
07-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Playing a rebuy tourney at a friend's place.

Only $20/rebuy for first hour. Players are not good, and range from tight to insane, with many not caring about re-buying.

What is the strategy here for starting hands, and post-flop action? Definitely want to build a good stack. Players are no good when the "normal" post-rebuy tourney ensues.

Brad22
07-31-2005, 12:26 PM
bump....good lord ya poker junkies, gimme a clue!

ZBTHorton
07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Do whatever you need to do in order to accumulate chips.

Me personally, when I play with people who suck, I play ALOT of hands...and outplayu people post flop.

Brad22
07-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Anyone else have specifics? I used the search function and couldn't find anything about this topic.

betgo
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Try searching further back and modifying your keywords. I t has been discussed many times.

Paul2432
07-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Rebuy whenever possible. If you can start with a double buy-in do it. Play solid poker. If your opponents are playing too loose, which they likely are, loosen up a bit.

It's a mistake to play like a maniac during the rebuy period to get a large stack.

Paul

Brad22
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rebuy whenever possible. If you can start with a double buy-in do it. Play solid poker. If your opponents are playing too loose, which they likely are, loosen up a bit.

It's a mistake to play like a maniac during the rebuy period to get a large stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, finished earlier - started with T2000 after an initial re-buy and was able to double up after the first hour. I took this advice and it worked. Problem - other players at the table were complete maniacs. I think the avergage stack was like T5000 after the first hour (no joke). When you say loose, I'm talking about crazy loose.

I'm thinking I should be playing A-K-Qx (down to 9), and bet aggressively if I hit.

The only other thing I could think of is slowplaying more b/c people will just go crazy by themselves.

What is the really the right thing to be doing in this situation?

Paul2432
07-31-2005, 10:36 PM
It's a judgement call as to how much to loosen up. You need to look at each hand individually. Look at your position, number of opponents, the betting, the particular opponents, stack size, etc.

Regarding slowplaying, against players who call too much, bet, dont't slowplay. Against players who bluff too much, but give up if you show strength, slowplaying is OK, but don't over do it. You want to get value from your good hands.

Keep in mind, you may not win as often as the maniacs, but you are contributing much less to the prize pool.

Paul

Brad22
07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind, you may not win as often as the maniacs, but you are contributing much less to the prize pool.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also very true. I normally outplay the others after this period is over. It's just that I am usually fighting from the bottom to get in the money. I have profited heavily from these tourneys, I guess your right.