PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Majors?

maxsick
07-30-2005, 09:35 PM
I know it's probably too early to be worrying about this but I'm going to be a freshman at USC this fall and am currently an "undeclared" major. The only two subjects I found interesting in high school were history and statistics. I don't want to major in history b/c I want to make a decent living (be able to get married, have family by 30) so statistics seems like the best option. I have heard that actuary is a good profession but that it involves plenty of algebraic math...which I am thoroughly medicore at. Any advice/disses would be appreciated...

Claunchy
07-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Don't base your undergraduate major on what job you think you want now, because you will probably change your mind at least two or three times.

More importantly though, undergraduate education shouldn't be about job training. It should be an opportunity to expand your intellectual horizons, meet cool new people, and bang lots of girls. So major in something liberal artsy, then go to grad school and get a real job.

Michael Davis
07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Since you are going to USC just major in something. There is such a good business network of USC grads who do secret handshakes and mutual rimjobs for employment that you will be fine working in any industry as long as you have a degree.

-Michael

07-30-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm a senior right now at JMU, which is 2 hrs southwest of D.C.. Trust me when I say either get a major in computers or a business major. I would suggest business with a minor in something computers. That is where the world is heading. I'm sure USC has a great college of business. I double majored in kinesology and business. My business concentration was management and my kin one was sport management. I'm on the 5 year plan so it wasn't hard at ll. I wish I would have taken some computer classes, but it's to late now. Good luck with whatever you do.

sexdrugsmoney
07-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Major in Spanish, take all your poker winnings, travel around Latin America drinking cervecas with senoritas bonitas.

touchfaith
07-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Nameyology

someguy2
07-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Drop out and become a poker "pro".

maxsick
07-30-2005, 10:21 PM
I've read that the Finance branch can be very lucrative...

ZBTHorton
07-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Major in psychology.

Easy classes. Hot chicks. And alot of big corporations are loving it for executives.

Matty
07-30-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Major in psychology.

And alot of big corporations are loving it for executives.

[/ QUOTE ]Boolshit. Maybe good as an insanely easy minor, but that's about it.

Dynasty
07-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Study and work in a field you love.

The money can be figured out later.

ZBTHorton
07-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I have worked for Perot Systems, and EDS here in Dallas.

Don't ask me why, but a decent % of our executives have degrees in Psychology.

I personally wouldn't major in it, but it'd be fun

Cubswin
07-30-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooga
07-30-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, listen to Dynasty, I couldn't emphasize this enough. Once you get a degree, it will be very easy to find a job that will provide you with enough money to make a comfortable living. But it will be very difficult to find a job you truly enjoy. I wasted a good 2 years right after college at a job that I dreaded every day just because it paid decent money. Now I make considerably less, but am a lot happier.

Don't jump into a major just because you think it'll make you rich, or because you think it'll make it easier to find a job. Things tend to work themselves out if you pick a field you're truly enthusiastic about.

maxsick
07-30-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my gameplan. But I guess I was kinda freaked out by a recent thread about engagement rings and one poster who insisted that any ring less than 10k indicated that you were not financially stable enough or prepared to get married. I definitely want to get married and support a family somewhere down the road...so this kinda spooked me. I'm just overreacting.

Your Mom
07-30-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my gameplan. But I guess I was kinda freaked out by a recent thread about engagement rings and one poster who insisted that any ring less than 10k indicated that you were not financially stable enough or prepared to get married. I definitely want to get married and support a family somewhere down the road...so this kinda spooked me. I'm just overreacting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane. I spent over 7k and everyone who knows what I paid (only a few people) think I am nuts.

raisins
07-31-2005, 12:46 AM
If I was going to college now I would probably major in economics. History and statistics are both interesting to me as well and both of these have strong associations with economics. It is also a degree that fares better in the job market than a typical liberal arts degree. You will probably have to take at least one economics course as part of your general education requirements. Maybe you'll find it to be a good fit.

raisins