PDA

View Full Version : KJ when AK flops

PSW
07-30-2005, 09:14 PM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Second round the table... no real reads. Comments on this hand?

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

Nick C
07-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Preflop: Raising KJo from MP3 after a single limper is something to at least consider. I'd prefer if the limper weren't UTG, though, and I'd also prefer to have a read on him and the players to act after me.

Anyway, I think the limp is okay.

Flop: I'd probably just fold to UTG's bet, actually, figuring the pot is small, and he's more likely to have an ace than a gutshot or pocket pair or worse king.

I don't know. Hands with aces in them are kind of popular. And, while I don't know PokerStars 3/6, at Party 3/6, the lack of a preflop raise doesn't limit the possibility of there being an ace out there all that much, at some tables.

Turn: I like the bet. I kind of want to 3-bet the checkraise, but AJ is something to think about, as are (since Villain checkraised the turn) A6 and QT. You'd think he'd put you on an ace after your flop raise. Then again, he may just think his AT/AQ has you outkicked, and he might also (with those hands) like the possibility that the one-card gutshot will bail him out, if he's not best. Also, he could have a hand like A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif that just picked up a flush draw, to go with top pair.

River: I'm not sure what to make of UTG's check. I guess maybe he's scared of the four-straight on the board, or maybe he has a ten and wants to checkraise again.

Checking behind seems okay to me. You do lose to any reasonable two-pair hand, at this point (given the UTG limp).

Anyway, playing a hand like this one when you're new at the table can be difficult.

lerxst337
07-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Your raise to protect your hand on the flop worked perfectly. While the checkraise on the turn is alarming, I think you must 3-bet. Most players raise UTG with AK, and A6 seems unlikely, but I haven't played enough Party to speak intelligently on the UTG tendencies of the awful people that tend to play there. The only hands you realistically fear are AJ, QT, or 66. I personally have run into alot of bluff attempts on this kind of board on the turn. If it's capped, I likely fold (is that a little too weak tight?) Given the line in the hand, I think I would value bet the river, and fold if raised.

Finally, it is important to think of how the table perceives you. You did indicate that you've only been there a couple of orbits, but have you been quite loose (number of hands played--not specifically loose) or aggressive over the first few hands. If you've been in alot of hands, a tricky player may try to play back at you even with a weak top pair, especially if you have shown down second pair in a hand where you raised the flop or turn.