PDA

View Full Version : Whats your basic strategy when the blinds get huge?

T_Money
07-30-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm playing in a mtt right now and the blinds are getting ready to go up to 1500/3000. Only about the top 10 chip stacks even have 30000. I have about 25k. What's the basic play? Just accept it as a crapshoot and hope for cards while looking out for the occassional steal and resteal? or play very agressive?

edit: Just took down a big pot so i know have 53k. Now is it more correct to try and bully? My problem w/ this is that players are really just going w/ any ace or kq, making it difficult to steal.

PancakeBoy
07-30-2005, 04:43 PM
don't try to steal cuz ppl play back
wait for a bigpair and try to induce ppl to ply back at u

T_Money
07-30-2005, 04:47 PM
ya thats kinda what i figured. I just took down a huge pot when utg limped and sb called my bb. I had k9 and checked. Flop came 959 and i lead for a min bet thinking he would raise because 1) he had an overpair, or 2) he thought i was betting to take the pot on a crappy board. He raised to 6k and i smooth called hoping not to see a 10 or jack on the turn. The turn was a jack, but there was still no way im getting away from this hand. I checked to him, he bet 1/3 of his stack, i moved in and he thought and called w/ TT.

DJ Sensei
07-30-2005, 04:53 PM
The blinds being huge is certainly a factor in your play, but i think a bigger factor (especially now that you have a bigstack) is the payout structure and the other peoples stacks.

If you're on the bubble, attack the medium and small stacks mercilessly, and avoid any that are your size or bigger (although they are just as unlikely to want to tangle with your stack too, so sometimes you can take some chips off of them with a smart play too)

If you're either far from the bubble, or in the money, continue to play aggressively, but don't get into a situation where you're likely to lose a good chunk of your stack because of being overcommitted to a steal or some such thing. In other words, be more patient and pick good spots.

T_Money
07-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, we're well into the money, and i really don't think agression is being served, so ill just lay back.

betgo
07-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I open push with any normal raising hand. More from late position. If there is already a limper or raiser, I push with premium hands.

T_Money
07-30-2005, 05:08 PM
down to 37000 w/ 2-4k blinds after AKs to improve against 44.