PDA

View Full Version : Would you bust on this hand?

nfpceo
07-30-2005, 03:37 PM
The following hand was the 1st and only hand I played in todays $200 +$16 Full Tilt Poker Satelite. Please let me know how you would of played it. Thanks.

Blinds are 15/30 and we each start with 2,000 in chips. This is the very 1st hand at my table and I'm under the gun (UTG) with Ah Qc and I raise it up to 90. Everyone folds except for the small blind. Preflop there is T210 in the pot.

Flop is Ac 7c Qh. Small blind bets T120 and I raise it up to T360. Small blind re-raises to T900 and I move all in which he calls. He flips over 7s 7h and busts my top 2 pair with his set of 7's.

His raise to T900 means he's really strong but he could easily have AK, AQ, or A7. A set of AA's or QQ's is pretty slim since he didn't re-raise pre-flop and I didn't put him on the set of 7's since he bet into me on the flop. Once he raises to T900 I'm thinking he might have 77 but I just couldn't get away from my top 2.

Chief911
07-30-2005, 03:42 PM
More times than not this early, might mean a flush draw as well.

Nick

07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow. That early in a tournament (especially if you have not played your opponent before) I might be tempted to lay down the two pair in fear of the set.

lange101
07-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Flush draw, A7, and a set are the only hands that I see raising you like this. I think that AK and AA would reraise you preflop. Maybe not, but I just think that people would want to get as much money into the pot this early if they think they have the best hand. QQ is not going to necessarily reraise you preflop. I think that QQ is an easy possibility. So, he leads the flop, and reraises you essentially pot committing himself. So the likely hands that he has left are QQ, A7 and 77. Barring any sort of reads, and considering sucha strong reraise, I'm laying this down for a better situation later. THis is a tough lay down though. Good luck.

pdxjayhawk
07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Not only would I bust on this hand, I almost did the exact same thing in a Full Tilt SNG last night. 2nd or 3rd hand, AJ off in the BB. 1 limper in MP, button limps, I raise to 2 BB. Flop is A5J. I make a pot sized bet, one fold, button calls. Turn is a brick. I make another pot size bet, button calls. I'm pretty sure he's got A5 or Ax. There's no flush or straight draw to speak of. I lead out again, he smooth calls and flips 55 for the set.

I wasn't completely out of chips, but crippled enough that I was doomed to finish out of the money.

Oh well.

nfpceo
07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the comments...I just have to work on my discipline. No reason to risk all my chips that early in a pretty big tourney.

Good luck

JC_Saves
07-30-2005, 08:40 PM
does anyone just limp with this hand up front and especially since it is so early?

ccmcc33
07-31-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone just limp with this hand up front and especially since it is so early?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG, I'd fold it before I'd limp with it.

stu-unger
07-31-2005, 01:38 AM
Flop is Ac 7c Qh. Small blind bets T120 and I raise it up to T360. Small blind re-raises to T900 and I move all in which he calls. He flips over 7s 7h and busts my top 2 pair with his set of 7's.

i dont play in too many tourneys but this sequence doesn't look too kosher too me. i like the raise on the flop and im not sure that im getting away from villains 3-bet. i just cant see any range that calls this 4-bet that i am not crushed by or maybe chopping with.

im not sure u wouldnt go broke on this hand but 4-betting 2 pairs is not a smart decision in my opinion. i think i call the 3-bet/fold to the 3-bet, re-evaluate and probably call down/fold to sustained aggression.

DVaut1
07-31-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments...I just have to work on my discipline. No reason to risk all my chips that early in a pretty big tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I misunderstood your OP, but was this a FT $200+16 tournament, or a satellite to the $216?

I'm much more inclined to take your flop line here if it's a low-limit satellite than a $200 MTT. I'd probably lay it down regardless, but I think I've seen enough (and made a few) donkey plays in the first 5 minutes of a low-limit tournament that I don't think eventually getting it all in the middle is a ridiculous play; if this is a low-limit satellite, am I the only that wouldn't be at all surprised to see Villian turn over Ace-crap/flush draw/straight draw?

Miscreant
07-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Preflop this is close between a raise and a fold at this point in the tourney out of position. Post flop its hard to put him on a hand you beat, he knows you have a big hand so he needs a monster hand or draw here to reraise, Ax is just calling, AK is raising preflop, A7 is folding preflop (unless they are bad and its suited and might just call after you raise the flop), most flush draws check or bet weaker. You can pretty much rule out AA or QQ, they either raise preflop or check on the flop. I think the only hands villian could have are KTc(15%), KJc(15%), 77(45%), AQ(20%), or A7s(5%) .. Going broke here isnt terrible but Im looking for a better spot with no reads.

Of course thats with 5 minutes to think about it, with 60 seconds it might hinge on other factors like his timing, if I have something else I can be doing, or if the payout structure is top heavy.