PDA

View Full Version : Two Overpair Hands: SSHE pp 185-189

macdaddy991
07-30-2005, 03:29 PM
According to TOP we bet for several reasons. Here are two.

Betting with the best hand. We have the best hand, therefore we want to get more money in the pot while we have an edge.

Betting to drive draws out. When we bet and give draws bad odds to call, they fold, while throretically we want them to call since we gain money every time they make a mistake.

But what about draws that are getting correct odds to call? What do we do in situations where the pot is large and draws can profitibally peel?

In SSHE, Ed talks about two overcard situations. One the hero has TT, the other hero has AA.

The board comes three low cards with two to a suit. In both situations, the hero should have the best hand on the flop.

There have been a few posts as of late where the hero was not sure how to apply this concept. In one situation the hero even as much as checked through the flop to see a turn card. ( I am not critizing anyone in paticular, I just think this concept needs to be addressed.

In both situations we must look at pot equity. In the TT hand, there are many draws that can come on the turn, high cards, completed flush draws, two pair draws etc. The hero really has no way to protect his hand. In the example there is a bet and a raise before the action gets to the hero. With TT, since there are many turn cards that can hurt you, the hero should call along reevaluating the turn.

Now look at AA. Once again, there are many turn cards that can hurt the hero, but not nearly as many as with TT. In this situation the hero should raise just for value. The draws will still come along, the hero however will still make money in the long run purely by mathmatics. The more money he gets into the pot, the more he can expect to earn.

With TT, the hero still gains when he gets money into the pot with the best hand,, just watitng for the turn gives the hero a greater edge.

Now IMO the hero must bet if checked to, even if draws can call profitibally. Remember that the hero is still making money in the long run, the draws do not always hit. Checking through a flop to give a free card, as DS puts it is a "mathmatical catastrophe" You give an opponent infinate odds to catch whatever they were trying to catch.

Just my two cents. Feel free to discuss and add as needed

McGahee
07-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Nice post - you're right lots of people have mis-applied this concept lately in both directions.

Raza
07-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I think there are some exceptions to betting when checked to. I'm thinking of the HEPFAP Another Example in the Loose Games section. What the argument came down to is if the pot is huge, and everyone checks to you (with something like an overpair), you should sometimes check in hopes of being bet into on the turn and raising then. I admit I've never used this play at .50/1.00. Any thoughts?

Fantam
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I think the difficulty for a lot of players, apart from understanding the concepts correctly is also remembering when to apply them correctly in the heat of battle.

I am sure that includes myself, but understanding the concepts here to begin with is a good place to start.

Nice post.

macdaddy991
07-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Another interesting angle to this is found in TOP pp 79-83.