PDA

View Full Version : When is +EV to bet?

POKhER
07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm so lost by this guys response, so can someone clear up my confusion please?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Im getting slaughtered by passive callers who just keep calling me down, so im trying to find the bestmoments to stop firing away at the flops/Turns etc trying to make the oponant fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jack21221
Fire with +EV, stop firing with -EV.

You WANT passive callers, quit complaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3003870&page=4&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

================================================== ====

So when is it +Ev to bet with OVERCARDS?

For example i hold AK preflop and raise +EV.

Flop: 4 8 2 Rainbow.
I bet? Is this +EV? Passive callers call me down...

Turn might be: 6
I bet again or shall i check/fold here?

River: 3
Bet again? Check/fold? Check/call?

I suck with overcards, Specially against passive guys who call me down to river (And then show T6 or something).

So can someone post some examples of +EV bets? Maybe is hould Re-READ SSH.

Thanks,
POKhER.

Vote4Pedro
07-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Give us a little more info...position, number of limpers/callers, blah blah blah.

Dave G.
07-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Remember the 3 principles from SSH (paraphrased):

- Overcards prefer ragged flops
- Overcards prefer few opponents
- Overcards are strengthened by backdoor draws

The most important one is the number of opponents. You are burning money if you bet into more than 2 people UI, and you really need to believe that one or both of those people are likely to give up when bet into at some point. There's no point betting into them if they're always calling you down. They keep winning when you keep betting so why would they stop?

If all 3 of these principles are true, and you think there is some chance your opponents will fold, you can probably fire again on the turn to see if that gets rid of him. If the board is co-ordinated and he calls your flop bet, there's a good chance he likes his hand. So check/fold the turn UI. And if there are many players, you have to check and evaluate what happens.

shermn27
07-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Listen to Dave. And remember, that just b/c you have the best starting hand doesn't mean you have the best finishing hand. Each situation is going to be different depending on the principles Dave outlined.

UATrewqaz
07-31-2005, 01:12 AM
It's best to fire with overcards when you have position. Their checking to you indicates weakness you can exploit by betting and you can use the freecard play liberally. Or you can bet the turn and take a free showdown with your nut high card hand.

HentaiGaijin
07-31-2005, 02:24 AM
Position is also good with overcards, in that it allows you to sometimes extract an extra bet on the river if you make your hand. Your villain will bet into you and you can often raise for value. Conversely, if you are OOP and you bet into villain on the end, you may get called or he may fold, but you are likely in trouble if he reraises you. Position for the win!

hemstock
07-31-2005, 02:34 AM
Besides the 3 basic rules, in a later chapter he says that you should play your overcards like any other draw.
Count your outs, check the pot odds, see who you are playing against and act appropriately.