PDA

View Full Version : learning

07-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi i am new. my boyfriend is a pro poker player and i want to learn so we can play together and i want to suprise him so i cant ask him. What is the quickest and best way to learn?

Jetty

AKQJ10
07-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Probably to buy Miller's Getting Started in Hold 'em (http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Getting_Started_in_Hold_%27em), play some online play money games until you know you can thrash them, deposit a little money (setting up rakeback and bonuses!) or enter freerolls until you win some money, play micro-stakes games online, and work your way up.

aargh57
07-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Read either GSIH (getting started in Hold Em) or WLLH(3rd edition) (winning low limit hold em). I read Malmuth's review of the new edition of WLLH and he gives it a thumbs up. The second edition was very easy to read and comprehend (not to mention pretty short) so if your looking for a quick way to learn the game I would suggest that. GSIH is probably better but I think it's a bigger book so it will take you longer.

AKQJ10
07-30-2005, 03:35 PM
I've added the same suggestions at http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Beginners_FAQ#Getting_started . As always, everyone is invited to edit there to add their input so that we'll have it handy next time this question is asked.

08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the help, can't wait to see his face when I beat him.

pzhon
08-02-2005, 01:49 AM
One problem with the suggestions others have made is that they are aimed at improving your play at tables with 5-9 opponents. If you are planning to play with just one opponent, this is quite different. You need to be much more aggressive, you need to bluff frequently, and you need to bet for value with much weaker hands. I'm not sure what reference to recommend about this. Perhaps it would be good to read through a recorded heads up session. Perhaps you should practice against a poker bot, since poker programs can play very well heads up. My guess is that if you practice against a bot, and learn how it plays heads up, you will have a good chance to beat a pro who has not studied heads up play. If you just study normal poker, you will get crushed heads up.

TaoTe
08-02-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One problem with the suggestions others have made is that they are aimed at improving your play at tables with 5-9 opponents. If you are planning to play with just one opponent, this is quite different. You need to be much more aggressive, you need to bluff frequently, and you need to bet for value with much weaker hands. I'm not sure what reference to recommend about this. Perhaps it would be good to read through a recorded heads up session. Perhaps you should practice against a poker bot, since poker programs can play very well heads up. My guess is that if you practice against a bot, and learn how it plays heads up, you will have a good chance to beat a pro who has not studied heads up play. If you just study normal poker, you will get crushed heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. It takes hours and hours of practice heads-up to realize how to play well. I play well at a full table but often get pwned heads-up.

I was thinking about it the other day and Danie N. should write a book on heads-up play since he's obviously getting plenty of experience with his challenge matches. The probably would be with the demand for the book. If he covered all the forms of poker he is playing in his challenge matches that would be incredible.

POKhER
08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Your PRO BOYFRIEND will be pissed when he finds out you wasted cash on books, Then laugh when he beats you heads up.

Just my opinion, if i were you and had a pro BF id ask him to teach me. Play online, Win cash. Improve my game, then go HU with him.

I dont see you pulling off a suprise, and HU is loads of bluffing/Luck/Call downs. IT SUCKS.

GOod luck though,
POKhER

deacsoft
08-02-2005, 12:11 PM
In addition to all the books and links posted above, this forum is a great place to learn. Feel free to post any questions you have. There are plenty of members here that are will to help you out. Also, the 2+2 Internet Magazine is a great place to find information.

disclaimer:posts by new members and beginning players are often met with cruel responses

Just sift through the B.S. and you'll find the answers you're looking for. Welcome to the forums.

Cheers,

deacsoft

TaoTe
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your PRO BOYFRIEND will be pissed when he finds out you wasted cash on books, Then laugh when he beats you heads up.

Just my opinion, if i were you and had a pro BF id ask him to teach me. Play online, Win cash. Improve my game, then go HU with him.

I dont see you pulling off a suprise, and HU is loads of bluffing/Luck/Call downs. IT SUCKS.

GOod luck though,
POKhER

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the ratio is to skill and luck in a HU match? For example, over ten matches what is the chance the better player will win more than 1/2?

This interests me because a friend an I have an ongoing HU match with him beating me 12 to 7, yet in tournaments I average a higher cash rate than he does.

4_2_it
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Question (I do not know the answer): If you played HU with a maniac who pushed all in each hand pre-flop, what are your odds of beating him (assuming that your chip stacks are equal)? That should answer part of your question.