PDA

View Full Version : Counting Pot Odds

jguy3348
07-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Can someone clarify..I found a easy way to calculate pot odds a long time ago. I am not sure if I have it right? Maybe it isn't valid? #Outs X BB = <>45 (could be 47??).

For instance ... 9 outs x 4 BB (in the pot) = 36..which is less that 45. Do not make the call.

or

9 outs x 7 BB (in the pot) = 63 greater than 45 make the call...

can someone verify if this is right and the math works or not?

thanks

BruceZ
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone clarify..I found a easy way to calculate pot odds a long time ago. I am not sure if I have it right? Maybe it isn't valid? #Outs X BB = <>45 (could be 47??).

For instance ... 9 outs x 4 BB (in the pot) = 36..which is less that 45. Do not make the call.

or

9 outs x 7 BB (in the pot) = 63 greater than 45 make the call...

can someone verify if this is right and the math works or not?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

47 on the flop and 46 on the turn. The point is that it is the number of remaining cards. That's for calling 1 bet only.

BruceZ
07-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Also, it should be outs * (pot_size + 1) > cards_remaining.

pot_odds = pot_size/1 > (cards_remaining - outs)/outs

outs * pot_size > (cards_remaining - outs)

outs * (pot_size + 1) > cards_remaining

TaintedRogue
08-02-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh.....and why.......
I have 5 outs after the flop, which is 8.4:1 of catching on the turn, there are 9 bets in the pot, so I call.
Simple.......once you've memorized your odds of catching based on the number of outs you have.

BruceZ
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh.....and why.......
I have 5 outs after the flop, which is 8.4:1 of catching on the turn, there are 9 bets in the pot, so I call.
Simple.......once you've memorized your odds of catching based on the number of outs you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just memorize the odds too, but some people insist on doing a calculation. If you aren't going to memorize the odds, this is easiest to apply calculation that I know of, and it is perfectly accurate for pot odds. Unlike other methods, it gives you the criterion to call directly rather than giving you a percent that you have to convert, and it is not an approximation that breaks down with a high number of outs. In your example, you would say 5*10 > 47, so you call. If the pot were only 8 bets, you would say 5*9 < 47, so you don't call. You see why it's the same thing as memorizing the odds right?

TaintedRogue
08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh.....and why.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I just memorize the odds too, but some people insist on doing a calculation. If you aren't going to memorize the odds, this is easiest to apply calculation that I know of, and it is perfectly accurate for pot odds. Unlike other methods, it gives you the criterion to call directly rather than giving you a percent that you have to convert, and it is not an approximation that breaks down with a high number of outs. In your example, you would say 5*10 > 47, so you call. If the pot were only 8 bets, you would say 5*9 < 47, so you don't call. You see why it's the same thing as memorizing the odds right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce,
I understand, but in this case, where you have 5 outs and the pot has 8 bets and 9*5 = 45 telling you to fold, you should call in some instances, especially to the nutz draw.

The odds of you catching are 8.4:1 on the turn card, so you only need to make up .4 sb on the turn (which is .2 BB)to earn a profit.

So, now we have the problem of: how close to 47 does our total have to be, when our computation is less than 47 in order to warrant a call?

BruceZ
08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bruce,
I understand, but in this case, where you have 5 outs and the pot has 8 bets and 9*5 = 45 telling you to fold, you should call in some instances, especially to the nutz draw.

The odds of you catching are 8.4:1 on the turn card, so you only need to make up .4 sb on the turn (which is .2 BB)to earn a profit.

So, now we have the problem of: how close to 47 does our total have to be, when our computation is less than 47 in order to warrant a call?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said this was for pot odds. You still have to make adjustments for implied odds when applicable no matter what method you use. To account for implied odds using this method, just pretend that the extra money you think you can win is already in the pot, and add it to the pot size before you multiply by the number of outs. You still compare to 47. This method has the advantage of allowing you to adjust in cases where you have reads on some of your opponents which would make the number of remaining cards < 47. In that case you would compare to a lower number.