PDA

View Full Version : Pushing and Open Pushing

07-30-2005, 09:06 AM
This is a new term I am coming across and was hoping someone could explain it better, and when to do it. Also, I am currently reading Lee Jones third edition of Winning Low Limit Hold Em (after having read TOP of ITH) and he mentions raising medium sized pairs for expected value in late position, and on the big blind, when there are a few callers in front of you. Is this applicable to NL SNG's and could someone explain the concept a little better

Trev

zac777
07-31-2005, 04:13 AM
Pushing is moving all of your chips in. Open pushing is pushing when you are opening the action (i.e. everyone before you has folded). Open pushing is important because you often want everyone to fold, so it's usually better to push when no one has shown any interest in the pot. I hope that answered what you were asking.

As for raising mid pairs after multiple limpers, it's a little dicier than in limit. In limit, you expect everyone to call and tie themselves to the pot so they will pay you off those times that you hit your set (or in some situations, just to get more money in the middle when you will win more than your share of it). In NL, people may also be more likely to pay you off after calling an initial small raise, but I think that's a fairly advanced play to use only in certain situations. Most of the time you should be happy to limp along and hope that someone pays you when you hit your set.