http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4032638

http://www.rlynn.co.uk/pages/article_intelligence/t4.asp

rollingdirty
07-30-2005, 02:54 AM

07-30-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well this will be fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What I think is amazing is the actual sources for these research: one was published in a major American Psychology journal, and another was published in a major Economics journal. The third one is the personal website of a Psychology Professor.

Spaded
07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Well let's see here...

User name: Asian-American
First post: Link to an article about how east asians tend to score 6 IQ points on average than whites.
Intent: Start a flamewar, get attention, and feel superior.

If I were a bettin' man i'd wager some macho honkey or african will talk about the size of their johnson within the next few posts.

Spaded
07-30-2005, 04:45 AM
And the last article... come on, the average IQ for someone living in Equatorial Guinea is 59?!? The internationally accepted threshold for retardation is what, 70? And IQ follows a bell curve, so 59 is so far divorced from reality it's laughable. What kind of IQ test did they recieve, reading comprehension or pattern-finishing?

And I noticed that the highest IQ on the list was Hong Kong at 107. Come on, man. The average IQ is and will always be 100, so why is the highest only 107?

The 4 most populated countries:
China is 100, India is 81(!!), EU would be 100 +/-3 IMHO if it were listed, USA is 98(damn rednecks!). This accounts for about 3 billion people.

China~1,400million; India~1,000m; EU~350m; USA~250m AFAIK
Weighted average IQ is 93.5. In order for average IQ to be 100, the other 3 billion world residents would have to average 106.5. And if consider the average IQ of africa seems to be that of the average fahrenheit temperature of a nice warm day, i conclude that the article is bogus /images/graemlins/smile.gif

07-30-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And the last article... come on, the average IQ for someone living in Equatorial Guinea is 59?!? The internationally accepted threshold for retardation is what, 70? And IQ follows a bell curve, so 59 is so far divorced from reality it's laughable. What kind of IQ test did they recieve, reading comprehension or pattern-finishing?

And I noticed that the highest IQ on the list was Hong Kong at 107. Come on, man. The average IQ is and will always be 100, so why is the highest only 107?

The 4 most populated countries:
China is 100, India is 81(!!), EU would be 100 +/-3 IMHO if it were listed, USA is 98(damn rednecks!). This accounts for about 3 billion people.

China~1,400million; India~1,000m; EU~350m; USA~250m AFAIK
Weighted average IQ is 93.5. In order for average IQ to be 100, the other 3 billion world residents would have to average 106.5. And if consider the average IQ of africa seems to be that of the average fahrenheit temperature of a nice warm day, i conclude that the article is bogus /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they have calculated IQs in relation to a certain country most likely England. There was no need for the average to be 100.
Also could you tell us more about your own data concerning the IQ of Equatorial Guineans?

illogical
08-02-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The average IQ is and will always be 100, so why is the highest only 107?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get that number from? None of the articles linked states the world's average IQ is 100. One of the articles talks about using Britain's average IQ (100) as a benchmark for the rest of the world. Maybe you are confused? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

wadea
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't feel like doing the legwork to support this statement, but I believe you could search a little bit and find some reasonable arguements that IQ tests are biased in many ways - particularly societally.
-w.a.