PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble Dictionary changes

Paluka
07-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I heard that they made QI and ZA legal words. This just seems awful to me.

JaBlue
07-30-2005, 12:23 AM
these have been words for a long time... at least, my grandma always uses them on me when we play. She has MS and is a scrabble fanatic.

Sponger15SB
07-30-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard that they made QI and ZA legal words. This just seems awful to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. This pretty much takes the fun out of playing competitive scrabble for me now.

skp
07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
That really bites. A big part of the game of course is how you handle the troublesome (yet sometimes highly valuable) Q.

I stopped playing competitive scrabble in 1996 when I picked up Hold 'em. So, do you have the full list of U-less Q words now?

My recollection:

Qat
Qaid
Qoph
Faqir
Qintar
Qindar (?)
Qanat
Tranq

Hm...I might be missing a few still..

Less important ones to remember given that one stil needs a "u" tile:

suq
qiviut
umiaq

Also, is that book by Joe Edley "Everything scrabble" still the HFPAP of the scrabble world? What year is the most recent edition?

LeatherFace
07-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I think thsoe were legal in the UK version, but now the U.S.? maybe they should lower the q by a point now or something; and there goes blocking squares.

Gainsay
08-02-2005, 11:35 AM
This does succeed if the goal was to make the X a less ridiculous letter.

The point values in scrabble have never seemed very balanced to me anyway, so I'm not sure this really makes it much worse.

schwza
08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This does succeed if the goal was to make the X a less ridiculous letter.

The point values in scrabble have never seemed very balanced to me anyway, so I'm not sure this really makes it much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

they were based on frequency of occurence in a group of NY Times articles; nothing to do with how hard they are to actually use. if they were, c and v would be worth more than x.

i like it because it adds value to vowels besides e (but i guess it makes u even more worthless).