PDA

View Full Version : Another Beer Question.

Talk2BigSteve
07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
What is the best beer that you can buy in any grocery store that doesn't taste like piss?

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SippinSoma
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Amberbock.

cbfair
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Heineken is a good bet and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is almost ubiquitous - I don't know about Meridian, MS though.

Harv72b
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
In Maryland, none.

In states that allow grocery stores to sell beer, any Sam Adams is a safe choice.

Stu Pidasso
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
In no particular order

Newcastle Brown Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Pilsner Urquell

Stu

ILL34GL3
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
In Texas, Negra Modelo is the best grocery store beer. Bass is up there too.

Stu Pidasso
07-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Also why don't you just check out www.ratebeer.com (http://www.ratebeer.com) instead.

Stu

x2ski
07-29-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the best beer that you can buy in any grocery store that doesn't taste like piss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Milwaukee's Best Ice...

Beck's (not Beck's Dark), is good too.

x2ski
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Alamo Beer?

kasey2004
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Maryland, none.

In states that allow grocery stores to sell beer, any Sam Adams is a safe choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with North Dakota.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

TT_fold
07-29-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't happen to know firsthand what piss tastes like, would you?

Claunchy
07-29-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Alamo Beer?

[/ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is Lone Star.

<font color="white">My grammar is teh suck. </font>

lil_o
07-29-2005, 10:56 PM
stella artois, heineken, amstel light, sam adams, saranac all are yummy.

JPinAZ
07-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I can get Arrogant Bastard (http://www.arrogantbastard.com) at my local market, but you're probably not worthy.

pokerdirty
07-30-2005, 12:02 AM
if you really have to ask this...

just stick to smirnoff ice and wine coolers

Bradyams
07-30-2005, 12:06 AM
In Colorado if you buy beer from the grocery store you're wasting your money. The alcohol content is capped at 3.2%.

Talk2BigSteve
07-30-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you really have to ask this...

just stick to smirnoff ice and wine coolers

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I use to be a bartender at a gay bar, and we would sell sell that stuff by the case,

Best Sellers in a Gay Bar...
#1 Bud Light
#2 Miller Light
#3 Smirnoff Ice
#4 Bacardi Silver
#5 Skyy Blue

ihardlyknowher
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Urinebrau.

ILL34GL3
07-30-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Alamo Beer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit Bobby! You got propane in my urethra!

ChoicestHops
07-30-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
#5 Skyy Blue

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Skyy is definitely overrated.. not worth the price at all.

BruinEric
07-30-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you live in MS, which hugely limits your choices -- especially because grocery stores in your area are less likely to carry interesting brews. Grocery stores in many parts of CA carry craft beer.

Furthermore, lots of good USA brewers don't distribute in MS for a wide variety of reasons.

So here are some suggestions with all that in mind. I find none of these beers particularly good to my palate, but must be found on MS.

Sam Adams and/or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
-I have no idea if these are in MS, but if any non-macro makes it out there, these would be likely.

Abita Amber
-A beer brewed in Louisiana, so maybe some comes across the border? I have not tasted this, but it's fairly well regarded.

Shiner Bock
-smooth lager, not bitter or hoppy at all. passable. you might see cuz its brewed in TX

Widmer Hefeweizen
-try with a slice of lemon, they've partnered with A-B, so you can prolly find them in MS? Light years different than a traditional Bavarian hefe because it's brewed with an Alt Yeast strain, but a mellow drink with an interesting mouthfeel.

Guinness
-tastes nothing like that nasty/bland macro-brewed corn-lager you're used to. More like coffee than Busch

Heineken (can only)
-Don't buy in green glass bottles because of skunking (no need to explain, easy to google)

Newcastle (mayyybe in MS?)
-nice brown ale, no bitterness at all (for me this is a bad ting)

Talk2BigSteve
07-30-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you live in MS, which hugely limits your choices -- especially because grocery stores in your area are less likely to carry interesting brews. Grocery stores in many parts of CA carry craft beer.

Furthermore, lots of good USA brewers don't distribute in MS for a wide variety of reasons.

So here are some suggestions with all that in mind. I find none of these beers particularly good to my palate, but must be found on MS.

Sam Adams and/or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
-I have no idea if these are in MS, but if any non-macro makes it out there, these would be likely.

Abita Amber
-A beer brewed in Louisiana, so maybe some comes across the border? I have not tasted this, but it's fairly well regarded.

Shiner Bock
-smooth lager, not bitter or hoppy at all. passable. you might see cuz its brewed in TX

Widmer Hefeweizen
-try with a slice of lemon, they've partnered with A-B, so you can prolly find them in MS? Light years different than a traditional Bavarian hefe because it's brewed with an Alt Yeast strain, but a mellow drink with an interesting mouthfeel.

Guinness
-tastes nothing like that nasty/bland macro-brewed corn-lager you're used to. More like coffee than Busch

Heineken (can only)
-Don't buy in green glass bottles because of skunking (no need to explain, easy to google)

Newcastle (mayyybe in MS?)
-nice brown ale, no bitterness at all (for me this is a bad ting)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Shiner, I use to drink that when I lived in Dallas! I didn't even think about that one.

goofball
07-30-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in missouri? Bud?

SammyKid11
07-30-2005, 07:46 AM
STELLA ARTOIS!!!!! Hands down the best premium beer I've tasted in all my travels, and now it's available here in the US.

maxsick
07-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Red Stripe tastes awful but it doesn't taste like piss....as for good beers that don't taste like piss, I usually opt for Berghoff or Bass.

beerbandit
07-30-2005, 08:15 AM
beer

RubberDucky
07-30-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Maryland, none.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with North Dakota.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

because ND blows poo

Deftoner
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
bud light 4 life.

mason55
07-30-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in missouri? Bud?

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, this whole time steve has been around you thought MS stood for Missouri?

goofball
07-30-2005, 05:49 PM
well, i didn't ever look at his location until just then, but yes. it means mississippi? the beer situatino is probably worse then.

dtbog
07-30-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even have to read 5 posts before "thread over" could occur.

Talk2BigSteve
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heineken is a good bet and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is almost ubiquitous - I don't know about Meridian, MS though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got home from the Piggly Wiggly with a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in tow. Thanks for the Advice!