PDA

View Full Version : small pair in SB

ThePinkBunny
03-07-2003, 05:08 PM
In a raised pot, how many callers do you need to make it appropriate to play any small pair in the SB? (where SB is 1/2 BB)

I'm thinking generally four, unless from the nature of the players you're bound to get extra action.

D

Nottom
03-07-2003, 06:55 PM
With 4 players there would be 9.5 SB in the pot if the BB folds 10.5 if he comes along. That gives you odds of 6.3-1 without the BB and 7-1 with him.

I would say that since the BB will come along for these sort of odds often enough you can prolly sneak in with 3 players most of the time ... for just under 6-1 odds w/BB. With a pre-flop raiser, you can also generally expect to get the action you need should you hit your set.

Just my thoughts.

J.R.
03-08-2003, 03:26 AM
7.5-1 are the odds to hit your set, and you usually win about 70% of the time, maybe less with baby pairs. From the sb, I call after 1 raise and two callers with baby pairs, and call with middle pairs after 1 raise and a caller. 5.5 - 1.5 immediate odds for middle pairs and 7.5-1.5 immediate odds fro baby pairs. I may temper this if the BB is aggressive, but typically you may get another call from the BB which improves your immediate odds. Your implied odds are good with the reasonable expectation of many post-flop bets given the pre-flop raiser and the big pot. This hand is also easy to play, because you dump it without a set and don't get caught drawing on the flop for multiple bets as you typically may with a suited connector.

SoBeDude
03-10-2003, 04:28 PM
With the raiser and 3 other callers, you're getting 8.5 to 1.5 odds, or 5.67 to 1 on your money, assuming a SB that is 50% of the BB. If the SB is 1/3 of the BB instead, then you're getting 8.33 to 1.67 or 5 to 1 odds on your money. If the SB is 2/3rd of the BB, then you're getting 8.67 to 1.33 or 6.5 to 1 one your money.

You're 7.5-1 on hitting your set on the flop.

When you factor in implied odds, I think you can safely play the small pairs to a raise with 3 callers (raiser, 3 callers, and you). You should be able to go with 2 callers if you can count of getting a few extra bets out of them after the flop if you do hit your set.

-Scott