PDA

View Full Version : Could I have lost less with trip jacks?

Mariogs379
07-29-2005, 08:18 PM
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

How could I have played this better and lost less?
Any ideas appreciated,
Mario

ZenMusician
07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Terrible pf IMO, this is an easy raise in late position.

I hate the flop slowplay also, you are not defining your hand at all
in a loose LLHE game.

If your opponent had QQ, you would have had more info by raising
preflop and/or on the flop if he was limp reraising with QQ (which is
dumb) but I suspect he had QJ and boated on the turn-another reason
not to limp pf or just call on the flop...

Ask yourself why MP1 is betting out on that flop, a raise will let you know
if he has a J (I doubt he had 22) and then you can consider your play
based on that knowledge and any reads you may have on him.

NH

-ZEN

Mariogs379
07-29-2005, 08:39 PM
I dunno why it's an automatic raise with J2o even in late position. And I was asking if I could have lost less because of the following:
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Milty1: shows [2d 2c] (four of a kind, Deuces)
Mariogs379: mucks hand
Milty1 collected $16.75 from pot

autobet
07-29-2005, 08:49 PM
You had KJ suited, usually raise preflop in late position

Against a maniac your play is fine.

Against most players, they are going to have a jack or better so you are still beat or splitting when the duece hits. Call the river.

ZenMusician
07-29-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno why it's an automatic raise with J2o even in late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need to post more carefully...KJs and J2o are very different...if you had
J2o you need a lobotomy for your pf play!

River raise is way bad, see above comment from AB

-ZEN

timprov
07-29-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno why it's an automatic raise with J2o even in late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need to post more carefully...KJs and J2o are very different...if you had
J2o you need a lobotomy for your pf play!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention a need to check that deck.

Guthrie
07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Did you have KJs or J2o preflop?

dirty moose
07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you have KJs or J2o preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

he cant have J2

EStreet20
07-30-2005, 03:47 AM
Gotta raise preflop on the button with KJ suited. Read SSHE. Other than that from the flop on you were beat. In short, no you really couldn't have lost less here. Good line but you were screwed by an opponent who flopped a boat and improved to quads. I hope you're not really that hung up with such a hand at .5-1. If you are, god help you at becoming a winner online.

Good luck,
Matt

the_joker
07-30-2005, 09:53 AM
On the turn, what hands could he be 3 betting that you can beat (assuming this is a somewhat rational opponent)? I'd just call the turn 3-bet and call the river.

PokrLikeItsProse
07-31-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, what hands could he be 3 betting that you can beat (assuming this is a somewhat rational opponent)? I'd just call the turn 3-bet and call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bluff or semibluff who believes that the turn raise is a bluff trying to represent a jack.

At low stakes, I can see some players with a 2, a Q, or any pocket pair also three-betting the turn.

And, of course, any player with a jack might be willing to cap there, but with the KJ and no preflop raising, it's a bit too weak-tight for my tastes to fear being outkicked, especially if up against a player who likes to limp in with almost any two suited, including hands like J7 or even J5.

In a multi-way pot, I don't mind the flop slowplay because at low limits there are so many fools who will call a single bet with an ace in this spot.

Three-betting the turn is not so bad (and too many weak-tight players don't maximize their winnings when they flop trips because they hate raising without a full house on a paired board), but the river is definitely a spot in which you should just call. The hands that beat you (JQ, 22...QQ is unlikely without a preflop raise) are going to extract two additional bets from you. Any other hand betting likely is splitting the pot with you as a player with a 2 in hand will probably check-call the river.