PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this wrong somewhere?

Steve
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
$30+$3. I've only seen MP3 play one hand previous to this one. He did seem to play over-aggressively after the flop, but it didn't go to a showdown so I don't know for sure.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t375)
MP3 (t1310)
CO (t655)
Button (t1155)
SB (t985)
BB (t775)
Hero (t810)
UTG+1 (t1230)
MP1 (t705)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t135) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls t125, BB folds.

Turn: (t385) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP3 goes all in

I've gotten myself into a fine mess here. What did I do wrong? I don't think limping AQ UTG is a problem. I didn't see why I should be afraid of the K on the turn. But I guess I'm beat. Maybe he limped KQ?

asherpuppy
07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
I like the size of the flop bet, but why bet 250 on the turn? If he's tight preflop as you seem to indicate and aggressive postflop, his flat call on the flop means he's got something, and it's probably something really good. If he's aggressive post-flop, I think he raises with KQ or a draw on the flop.
If you're thinking you are ahead and maybe worried about a flush draw, a smaller bet on the turn (maybe a little over 1/3 of the pot) would have been sufficient (and more likely) to induce a mistake. I don't think the K helped him, but I think he knows it didn't help you either.
I'd guess he either flopped a set of 7s or 8s or is semi-bluffing with a flush draw. Absent a good read on a decent player, I think you have to fold here.

Steve
08-01-2005, 01:11 AM
I think we both agree that check-folding the turn is not an option. If the K helped him it was probably out of dumb luck i.e. he has KJd and a flush draw. Unless he has KQ and just smoothcalled the flop, which is possible. But I think I have to bet, but I don't like the outcome regardless of the bet. There has to be a good answer out there. Anyone?

08-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I like the flop bet. You could go with a check rasie to get all of your chips in with TPTK and just pray /images/graemlins/smile.gif. The K was the worst card that could of come, you just got unlucky, i would probebly dump this. I would not of bet into that K, Its not likely he woudl make a huge bet unless he hit it. Check/fold. You cant really call a small bet either becaue you have 125+250+30= 395 half your stack, and your gonna be commiting yourself. You might already be commited to this pot after the turn bet.

Jay36489
08-01-2005, 01:34 AM
This is a tough spot, as playing top pair from OOP always is. I don't like limping AQ UTG. You really can't narrow his hand range down as it was unraised. He could have even called with 78s. Other then PF I play it the same way and fold to this turn raise.