PDA

View Full Version : My Credit Score

Matt Williams
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I am looking for a new car this weekend and found out my credit score is 636. I know it really should be over 700, but is 636 considered a low score?

dtbog
07-29-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for a new car this weekend and found out my credit score is 636. I know it really should be over 700, but is 636 considered a low score?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't the damnedest idea.

WEASEL45
07-29-2005, 07:49 PM
636 is pretty low. you should be able to get a car with it though. any score over 670 is considered pretty good. 720 and up is excellent

Alobar
07-29-2005, 08:01 PM
yeah, your score is low. Youve got me beat tho, my credit score is N/A. Which totally sucks ass

DasLeben
07-29-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, your score is low. Youve got me beat tho, my credit score is N/A. Which totally sucks ass

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card. Any card. When it comes to buying cars, etc., bad credit is better than no credit.

And yeah, 636 is a bit on the low side. If you have a high balance on your credit card, try and pay that down. Even paying a quarter of it down can do a ton to your FICO score. As far as buying a car is concerned, I constantly sold cars to people with scores <600. You shouldn't have a problem, especially if you're willing to put money down.

jcx
07-29-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer will be falling all over himself to sell you a car. He'll probably be happier dealing with you than someone with 700+ cuz he knows the high score doesn't have to deal with his bull & can walk. People with bad credit get crappy loans with long terms and high rates. My suggestion is to buy a used car and repair your credit. The dealer will be there in a few years when you can negotiate from a better position.

Alobar
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant get a credit card, because I dont have any credit

its a vicious cycle

JoshuaD
07-29-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a vicious cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a cell phone. The bill will build up credit.

Alobar
07-29-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a vicious cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a cell phone. The bill will build up credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had one for like 5 years. They dont report to the credit agencies

TheMainEvent
07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The dealer will be falling all over himself to sell you a car. He'll probably be happier dealing with you than someone with 700+ cuz he knows the high score doesn't have to deal with his bull & can walk. People with bad credit get crappy loans with long terms and high rates. My suggestion is to buy a used car and repair your credit. The dealer will be there in a few years when you can negotiate from a better position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well according to some 60 minutes story I saw, car dealers basically rape people with low credit. They charge an additional rate which does not go to the lender but instead goes right into the dealers pocket, but they tell you its the best rate the lender will give.

TheTROLL
07-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Don't buy into this credit-scoring nonsense, it just encourages them. Buy an old car that you can afford with cash. Seriously.

Matt Williams
07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy into this credit-scoring nonsense, it just encourages them. Buy an old car that you can afford with cash. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, if I could pay cash I would. But I am going to look for a used car, under 10 grand. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll let you know what I get.

touchfaith
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
DISQUALIFIED!

DasLeben
07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a vicious cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I was able to get a credit card from Wells Fargo with a $1000 limit with no credit. I'm sure you can find something.

To the OP: Your credit score is most likely not going to be low enough for "special finance" programs at a dealership. If they send you to go talk to one of those guys, run. Your interest rate will be astronomical.

beset7
07-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Get a secured visa through your bank or a card from a department store (target for example. they have no standards). Charge it up and then pay over the minimum payment each month for 6 months and then watch the credit card offers come flying in.

07-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Don't finance through a dealer. Apply to a credit union and apply for a car loan. They will give you the best interest rate, and it will give you an idea of how much someone would be willing to loan to you. This is a good thing to know before you go shopping- it makes it harder for the dealer to pull BS on you. Additionally, if you get approved, you can use this as leverage against the dealer for a better interest rate.

nothumb
07-30-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a vicious cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

Capital One dude. I have one and I have no credit at all (I think.)

NT

Randy_Refeld
07-30-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Capital One dude. I have one and I have no credit at all (I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI Capital One doesn't report your credit limit so for your credit score it always looks like your card is maxed out. That keeps your score lower so you can't get a better card.

nothumb
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI Capital One doesn't report your credit limit so for your credit score it always looks like your card is maxed out. That keeps your score lower so you can't get a better card.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], that sucks. I've been being really good with it too.
[censored].

NT

DasLeben
07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], that sucks. I've been being really good with it too.
[censored].

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Verify this by pulling a copy of your credit report. It'll say the balances (and limits) of your credit cards.

smokingrobot
07-30-2005, 05:00 PM
636 isnt bad. its about average.

850 is the highest, so its like, C grade credit.