PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: March of the Penguins

Chairman Wood
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm surprised no one has made a post about this yet. Regardless, this movie is damn near the cutest movie I have ever seen. I would suggest taking a date to go see it. They will probably want to get all snuggly. I've always been quite fond of penguins and watching this movie was quite educational. They are absolutely fascinating animals. There exists a love story here, but it is more in the form of parent/child which is extremely strong. Although it is essentially an hour and a half of ice, snow and penguins, it is still entertaining and at times humorous.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-29-2005, 05:45 PM
I lost to my date playing RPS or we would have seen this instead of Me and You and Everyone We Know. The guys at the theater also said this was going to show for a while and they were getting rid of Me... after this week.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this review, I still want to see the movie pretty bad.

Rockatansky
07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost to my date playing RPS or we would have seen this instead of Me and You and Everyone We Know. The guys at the theater also said this was going to show for a while and they were getting rid of Me... after this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was Me and You?

MrTrik
07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I still stand to piss, so I guess I'll miss this one.

shant
07-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Should I let my girlfriend watch this movie with her ex-BF? Keep in mind I trust her.

Popinjay
07-29-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I let my girlfriend watch this movie with her ex-BF? Keep in mind I trust her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they have sex together? That makes a big difference.

Chairman Wood
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No

citanul
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
This movie was very cute, but also very sad.

Usually you don't leave a "cute" movie unhappy, but this one I did.

citanul

Chairman Wood
07-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Agreed, there certainly were some sad parts. However, the ending wasn't all that sad and I thought it left on a good note. One other thing, I thought the "sad parts" were handled well. There were a lot of instances where death was implied but not really shown.

Pocket Trips
07-29-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How was Me and You?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me and you was ok... was a nice change of pace from the usual summer movie with 59565 explosions but in places it just seems like it treid to hard to be the "quirky indy film of the summer"....

worth renting but don't bother leaving your house to see it.. have netflix bring it to you.

07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey I've been going out with this girl who loves penguins, will she want to be looking at the screen the whole time, or is this (like you said) a cuddle movie or a cuddle/make out movie?

Chairman Wood
07-29-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey I've been going out with this girl who loves penguins, will she want to be looking at the screen the whole time, or is this (like you said) a cuddle movie or a cuddle/make out movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably she will be wanting to look at the screen the whole time. I'm not trying to be critical but 'm just curious, who makes out in movie theatres anymore? I haven't done that since I was in 8th grade.

07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably she will be wanting to look at the screen the whole time. I'm not trying to be critical but 'm just curious, who makes out in movie theatres anymore? I haven't done that since I was in 8th grade.

[/ QUOTE ]
how old are you? i'm still young, for me makeing out is just something you do at a movie theater, and in cars and on a park bench and couches and school and . OMG i'm a man whore /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chairman Wood
07-29-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how old are you? i'm still young, for me makeing out is just something you do at a movie theater, and in cars and on a park bench and couches and school and . OMG i'm a man whore

[/ QUOTE ]
23, I don't have a problem with it, I just haven't done it in a while, nor do I know many people that have at my age recently.

07-29-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how old are you? i'm still young, for me makeing out is just something you do at a movie theater, and in cars and on a park bench and couches and school and . OMG i'm a man whore

[/ QUOTE ]
23, I don't have a problem with it, I just haven't done it in a while, nor do I know many people that have at my age recently.

[/ QUOTE ]
you're about seven years older than me. Just in case you were wondering.

mantasm
07-29-2005, 11:57 PM
SPOILER ALERT IT'S ABOUT PENGUINS

andyfox
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Saw it today, loved it. Beautifully photographed, Morgan Freeman narrating.

Paluka
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I wanted to give a thumps up to this movie. It was entertaining and I really learned a lot.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Saw it last night with the wife. It was very good. Despite all the raves, I expected a movie with nothing but ice, penguins and Morgan Freeman's voice to be boring. It was not.

Good date movie, except that you will never live up to the devotion of the male penguins, and the girl will forever compare you unfavorably to them.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 11:55 AM
i took my 8 year old daughter to this film...and while i thought our reactions would be opposite...i loved it, and she was bored to tears.

Los Feliz Slim
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
I need to know whether any baby penguins die in this movie. Or, if any Mommy penguins die, leaving their baby penguins forlornly squeeking for their non-existent Mommy penguin. Because I can't handle that.

When I was 7 or something I told my mother I hated her for taking me to see Bambi, because of when Bambi's mother dies.

Also can't watch Old Yeller.

Why does animal sadness have such a huge effect on me while human sadness doesn't seem to as much? I guess that's a topic for another thread.

Please let me know about the penguin death situation.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
yes there is death - but never graphic.

if bambi was not for you however, this probably isn't either.

astroglide
08-14-2005, 12:29 PM
i thought it was good, but if it were narrated by somebody else or if you had seen a 15-minute discovery channel thing on the mating habits of penguins i think it would be very forgettable. i think it was very good and entertaining, but i don't see the justification for it being some kind of big screen documentary hit.

poker-penguin
08-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Do any of the penguins either drink beer or play poker?

tolbiny
08-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Thats a shame.
You should read/watch "Where the Red Fern Grows", it soulds like you would really enjoy it.

HopeydaFish
08-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I found it way too penguinny.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-14-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to know whether any baby penguins die in this movie. Or, if any Mommy penguins die, leaving their baby penguins forlornly squeeking for their non-existent Mommy penguin. Because I can't handle that.

When I was 7 or something I told my mother I hated her for taking me to see Bambi, because of when Bambi's mother dies.

Why does animal sadness have such a huge effect on me while human sadness doesn't seem to as much? I guess that's a topic for another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff that might get to you...

Coupla frozen eggs.

Coupla frozen baby penguins (this made the wife cry).

Coupla devastated and distraught penguin parents (including one that tries to streal someone elses baby).

One seal attack, resulting in munched penguin.

One bird attack resulting in munched baby.

One shot of penguin sex that kids will never get, so this really doesn't belong in a list of potentially upsetting stuff for kids.

Los Feliz Slim
08-14-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff that might get to you...

Coupla frozen eggs.

Coupla frozen baby penguins (this made the wife cry).

Coupla devastated and distraught penguin parents (including one that tries to streal someone elses baby).

One seal attack, resulting in munched penguin.

One bird attack resulting in munched baby.

One shot of penguin sex that kids will never get, so this really doesn't belong in a list of potentially upsetting stuff for kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus H. Christ, just reading this made me sad. Thanks for the warning.

kurosh
09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I just saw this movie and have a question. When the bird was attacking the babies, why didn't any of the adults step in? They were only a few feet away.

AngryCola
09-01-2005, 12:39 AM
How does this movie compare to "The Bear"?

Link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000IQBE/102-1922940-7701711?v=glance)