PDA

View Full Version : My Girlfriend...is beating the hell out of me...AND I RAN HOME

07-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Okay fellas....I'm not proud of myself...but my girlfriend beat me again 3 out of 4 HEADS UP No limit Holdem games...so last night after my last loss I packed my chips and left...going ALL-IN with nothing just to end the game...we keep a running total and she's won 52 to my 47...but her confidence is HUGE...and she's trash talking me...and I'm getting pissed! She's been playing like I told her too...raise and play aggressively. She's catching cards, and playing well. I feel like she's outplaying me...and she's been only playing a couple of months...and I started a year and half ago...she doesn't try to learn...and I own a dozen Holdem books. She thinks the game is lame...and not real poker like Draw or Stud. Did I mention she has an IQ of 140+...considerably higher than my own. And now I'm getting the distinct feeling she's going start soft playing me...what an insult. We show our hands everytime (this was for teaching purposes)...so she can't be obviously trying to let me win...but I noticed at the end of the night that she started checking after the flop...instead of betting like had been doing VERY SUCCESSFULLY.

MagicMan08
07-29-2005, 06:10 PM
What the hell is it with people and iq's. Some of the smartest people I know are fricken rocks when it comes to common sense stuff. You g/f is better than you.

vexvelour
07-29-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm that girlfriend. My boyfriend doesn't like it, and still won't talk to me 30 minutes after I move all in on top pair and he can't call with a draw. We really only play home games together (with friends) and although he is a great tournament player, his cash game needs some work. I am a great cash game player, and hold my own in a tourny but never make it past 4th place. Everyone's got their strong points.

Guys still cannot accept that women can be equal to them in a game, and god forbid it be poker. Be proud of her. Take her to a game with some friends and your viewpoint will change. She will walk away a winner and you can say you've got a badass poker girl.

I think I understand from your post, however, that shes (wrongfully) full of herself and confident in her game. One, this will not last forever. Her luck cannot last forever, and you will outplay her. Secondly, you sound much more skilled than her and shouldn't let her small winning streak threaten your play.

HentaiGaijin
07-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Find yourself a better boyfriend?

ChicagoTroy
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Be gracious, act like a man. Tell her you're proud of her progress, and that she should take that skirt off so you can get freaky.

poker-penguin
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
If you need a new boyfriend, I promise that I'll be proud of you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MagicMan08
07-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Yea I want a gf who rocks my world at poker....

kagame
07-30-2005, 04:45 AM
damn that would be freaking sweet

hotdog da 2rd
07-30-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My Girlfriend...is beating the hell out of me...AND I RAN HOME

[/ QUOTE ]

whao, you didn't stay for the make-up sex? so what if she's always on top. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CaptSensible
07-30-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I want a gf who rocks my world at poker....

[/ QUOTE ]

ME TOO! If Jennifer Harman was my girlfriend...

tdarko
07-30-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like she's outplaying me

[/ QUOTE ]
she probably is.
[ QUOTE ]
and I own a dozen Holdem books

[/ QUOTE ]
this does not matter.
[ QUOTE ]
Did I mention she has an IQ of 140+...

[/ QUOTE ]
i think we have found the real problem here.

my advice is to start mixing it up and stop showing your hands, if she is schooling you then there is no need for the learning period. then if this doesn't work, SIIHP.

Komodo
07-30-2005, 06:12 PM
I feel sorry for you. I really really wish she would be much weaker, so you could beat her.

SNOWBALL138
07-30-2005, 07:16 PM
You shouldn't feel ashamed. Competition in a relationship can be very healthy.

I had a great time with my last girlfriend playing gin rummy, even though she won very often. I liked seeing her explode with prideful laughter when she successfully showed me gin. It was fun.

spaminator101
07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
well maybe you should start teaching people how to play you earn a killin doin that if after a month they can beat you

yvesaint
07-31-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dtbog
08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
then if this doesn't work, SIIHP.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong forum

dtbog
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And now I'm getting the distinct feeling she's going start soft playing me...what an insult. We show our hands everytime (this was for teaching purposes)...so she can't be obviously trying to let me win...but I noticed at the end of the night that she started checking after the flop...instead of betting like had been doing VERY SUCCESSFULLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

You said it was for 'teaching purposes'... was it you teaching her, or her teaching you?

If she's teaching you, then I don't see what the big deal is.

If you're teaching her... well, it worked.

With respect to the softplaying... for christ's sake, she's up five matches in over 100. If she thinks this is a large enough margin to start softplaying over, then one or both of you is a huge pussy.

just2ska
08-01-2005, 11:52 AM
me and my girlfriend have a very similiar poker experience. She's very smart and she beats me heads up ALOT..... But i think it's awesome, haha

the_joker
08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
So if you can't handle her beating you or you think it may come between your relationship, then don't play her. Otherwise be thankful you have someone to practice with and try to learn as much as possible from each other.

NobodysFreak
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
You should consider yourself lucky that your GF even plays poker.

simplexX
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Several things popped into my mind here:

She is really good at reading you (girlfriends tend to have that skill in excess).

The fact that she has won more than you is affecting your game. A bit like the guys who come to the table with one sole purpose "to win their money back". You feel an amazing amount of pressure due to the fact that you feel that you ought to win.

She has been COACHED for 1½ month by YOU. So she has a really good read, and somehow I'm lead to belive that you perhaps havn't adapted to her play as well as she has to your.

She is trash talking you and apparently it is working. My guess is that she has the psychological edge. She know that you feel that you should be able to win, and then applies even more pressure to put you off your game.

My advice is that you take advantage of this, either by showing her how to play low stakes HU SNG's online, or by using this as a opportunity to learn something. You know that you are probably the best player, but she is winning anyway (not by much though).
You have a good opportunity to learn how to play head up against an opponent with a good read and with a lot of pressure (sounds like MTT end game to me). Try reading a book about psychology, or simply ask her how she is doing it (be prepared for an uncomfortable answer though)...

btw. you could also leave her and send me her phonenumber /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bluffoon
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
My girlfriend beats the piss out of me at rummy and I am no slouch at rummy. I don't mind so much it is fun and challenging to play her. If she starts beating me at poker too though I may have a problem.

08-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your input. Most of you seemed to suggest, SUCK IT UP. AND TAKE YOUR BEAT DOWN LIKE A MAN...so basically I plan to do that...it just may take a minute. Last night she asked me where my chips were, and I told her I left them at home. What I didn't say...I'D DONE THAT ON PURPOSE...a FIRST

spaminator101
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
so your wimpin out why dont u study up and take it to her

tdarko
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wrong forum

[/ QUOTE ]
i try to spread the cheer.

dtbog
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i try to spread the cheer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, alright, I guess that's acceptable.

good ol' pooper. =)

dtbog
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night she asked me where my chips were, and I told her I left them at home. What I didn't say...I'D DONE THAT ON PURPOSE...a FIRST

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you big pussy.

Allinlife
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif...it really would