PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Shootout Tournaments

XXXNoahXXX
07-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Anyone play any of these yet, I was just curious how they were, how long they took to completion, and exactly how they work as Ive never played one.

Benal
07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
The search function is a great tool.............................

ZBTHorton
07-29-2005, 05:39 PM
It's two one table SNG's back-back.

Usually 3-4 donks per table. 1-2 good players.

They take around 2-2.5 hours.

Jurollo
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Party's are different ZBThorton. They are 4 rounds, top 3 each round move on.
~Justin

Prime Time
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's two one table SNG's back-back.

Usually 3-4 donks per table. 1-2 good players.

They take around 2-2.5 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think so.
They are beta testing it now, and it looks like this one will be 4 rounds.

XXXNoahXXX
07-29-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it is and I use it often, including this time. The only other posts I saw was one asking before they had even started, I could have added to that thread I guess. Can you point me to a discussion where someone whose actually played in one discussed it, thats what I was interested in. I always use the search function before posting, if something existed that discussed this maybe I mistyped or missed it.

PS- They'll obviously introduce higher buyin shootouts once the testing is done right? I guess using low limit players as test monkeys is as good as anything.

07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Im in the one starting at 6pm. This actually looks kinda retarded. I checked PP's website and ran their payout calculator...1st place out of 1500 is getting a total of 350+. I coulda added wrong though

Benal
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it is and I use it often, including this time. The only other posts I saw was one asking before they had even started, I could have added to that thread I guess. Can you point me to a discussion where someone whose actually played in one discussed it, thats what I was interested in. I always use the search function before posting, if something existed that discussed this maybe I mistyped or missed it.

PS- They'll obviously introduce higher buyin shootouts once the testing is done right? I guess using low limit players as test monkeys is as good as anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall reading a post a few days ago detailing everything you asked..

Jurollo
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im in the one starting at 6pm. This actually looks kinda retarded. I checked PP's website and ran their payout calculator...1st place out of 1500 is getting a total of 350+. I coulda added wrong though

[/ QUOTE ]
Granted 1st place won't win a lot in these they are essentially 1 SNG and if you get in the money the other rounds are freerolls. So for proficient SNG players they could be decent bankroll builders (if you need it at the lower levels)
~Justin

billyjex
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
i really wish they would have just used a normal shootout format. it would be a gold mine.

07-29-2005, 08:19 PM
just got knocked out 5th in the 2nd round. Kinda fun, strategy seems to be a mix of MTT and Sng's. Play ubber tight until the blinds get big or the play gets short handed. Accumulating on the bubble is even more important than Sngs because your using your chips against more opponents later. Second round seems like a mid game MTT, with everyone between 10 and 20BB. After that I cant tell you.

The bad, you wait for up to half an hour between rounds waiting for other tables to finish, definatly not good for $/hr.

XXXNoahXXX
07-29-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall reading a post a few days ago detailing everything you asked..

[/ QUOTE ]

Were the Party Poker Shootouts even available a few days ago?

08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Played my first shootout two days ago. There are alot of goods and bads, but it seems like more bads to me. On the plus side, its pretty easy to make the money, as you essentially have to beat just 7 people. Another good thing, which might just be about the tournament I was in, was that every player at my tables seemed to be absolutely terrible. Even deep into the third and fourth rounds, I saw people making ridiculous plays that I don't think I would have seen in a normal multitable tourney.

The way the tourney works is that as soon as the fourth place player is eliminated in each round, play stops and each of the final three are paid a small amount. Taking first place in the first round get you about twice your buy in, with third just barely covering your original buy in. This format continues until round 4, where the remaining 50 or so players are dumped into random tables and the format changes to a regular multi table tourney where the tables are broken up as players are eliminated. In the fourth round, I believe 50 start and the top 8 get paid.

I took 7th place in that tourney, which kind of sucks considering I got paid a net total of $140, including the payouts from the previous rounds. The tournament took a little over four hours and started with just under 2000 people. The worst part about the tourney was waiting for the other tables to finish, which could reach up to 45 minutes after your table finished. Also, due to the payout structure, first place only won about $350, which sucks considering you beat a field of 2000 people.

jaym96822
08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
You do realize that the payouts are in direct proportion to the entry fee of the tourney right? If this was a $30+3 shootout I have a feeling your criticism would be minimized.

I like these shootouts a lot. By emphasizing both STT and MTT skill sets they significantly reduce the number of players who have a legitimate chance to win.

08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I actually meant to include in my post that if the buy in was larger, I'd play them alot more often. I'm soon they'll start adding higher buy in events after the beta process is over.

I like the format of the tournaments also. I'm primarily a sit and go player, and I found it pretty easy to advance through the rounds. I hope I didn't give off the impression that the shootouts are a waste of time, because that wasn't my intention at all.