PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Seuss

The Dude
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm about ready to go on a Dr. Seuss binge and would like some recommendations for which ones to get. I'm likely to buy 10 or so.

shant
07-29-2005, 05:22 PM
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is the best.

sfer
07-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Why? Are you going to speak at a bunch of graduations?

tbach24
The Book About Me

I think that's the name

There's a museum in my town with all the originals, wicked cool stuff.

astroglide
using "the places you'll go" at a wedding is gay

[censored]
07-29-2005, 05:28 PM
The one about the bird who goes around asking things like dump trunks if they are his mommy. I think its title is "are you my mommy?"

andyfox
07-29-2005, 05:30 PM
For obvious reasons, I've always been partial to Fox in Socks.

The Cat in the Hat and the Cat in the Hat Comes Back have always been my favorite favorites. Loved them when I was a kid, and when I read them to my kids. Green Eggs and Ham is also a favorite.

Dale
07-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I like a couple of the longer stories, Yertle the Turtle and Scrambled Eggs Super!

Dynasty
07-29-2005, 05:41 PM
You read kids' books? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/lol.gif

Duke
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I think "Yertle the Turtle and other stories" is the collection I like best.

The Zax
Too Many Daves
What was I scared of?

Also, "All the thinks you can think" is good.

~D

TBag
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Green Eggs and Mother [censored] Ham accompanied by a delicious neopolitan ice cream sandwich.

Man, being a kid ruled.

pokertonbear1
07-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Don't forget to get your copy of The Grinch even though it's out of season. So classic...

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2005, 06:25 PM
pick ten at random.

Blarg
07-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Yertle the Turtle -- "Possibly the best book written on the subject of turtle stacking," as Lisa Simpson asserts on Smartline.

Horton Hears a Who.

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.

Green Eggs and Ham.

I found the cat in the hat ones kind of dull myself.

There's a great big one with a few of them in it that I really liked that I saw at B. Dalton bookstores. Quite a bargain, and good choices. One of the selections is REALLY uncharacteristically long, but that's cool -- more immersion in the world of Seussdom.

The Sneetches.

Hmm drawing blanks. Need memory refresh.

Shajen
07-29-2005, 06:45 PM
The Grinch's Nine Inches

belloc
07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one about the bird who goes around asking things like dump trunks if they are his mommy. I think its title is "are you my mommy?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Dr. Seuss, it's P.D. Eastman or whatever.

Pocket Trips
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Hop On Pop Rules!!!!

goofball
07-29-2005, 08:01 PM
The Butter Battle Book
The Lorax
And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

Also, not a Dr. Seuss book but, 'Where the Wild Things Are' is imo the best childrens book ever.

Why are you doing this?

edtost
07-29-2005, 08:24 PM
its all about the lorax.

Alobar
07-29-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

werd.

I have a pair of DrSeuss boxers, they make the chicks crazy wet

Talk2BigSteve
07-29-2005, 09:24 PM
The Bread and Butter Battle Book!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Luv2DriveTT
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about ready to go on a Dr. Seuss binge and would like some recommendations for which ones to get. I'm likely to buy 10 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I give "Oh the places you'll go" to every newborn my friends pop out. Its my standard gift.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

m1illion
07-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Green eggs and ham
one fish two fish

renodoc
07-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Dude,

It depends on your audience.

My three year old digs:

Green Eggs
Ten Apples up on top
Fox in socks
One fish two fish
Hop on pop

For an older kid or for yourself I would go with Horton, Lorax, Sneeches etc.

ChipWrecked
07-30-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

It depends on your audience.

My two year old digs:

Green Eggs
Ten Apples up on top
Fox in socks
One fish two fish
Hop on pop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Also, I will add that 'Stop! You must not hop on pop!' is a true story.

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 01:40 AM
<font color="purple"> Fox in Socks was the favorite at our house growing up. </font>

rusellmj
07-30-2005, 01:41 AM
If I Ran The Zoo.

If you plan on reading this out loud you better be on your game.

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I give "Oh the places you'll go" to every newborn my friends pop out. Its my standard gift.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Scott's standard newborn gift is a small box of baseball cards... even for the girls. </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
07-30-2005, 01:44 AM
i liked the one with those [censored] birds that had stars on their bellies.. or maybe no stars.. and then there was that one dude with the star, or was it without?

daryn is right
07-30-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i liked the one with those [censored] birds that had stars on their bellies.. or maybe no stars.. and then there was that one dude with the star, or was it without?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sneetches? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0394800893/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-4883603-5941464#reader-link) Good choice!

nolanfan34
07-30-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Scott's standard newborn gift is a small box of baseball cards... even for the girls. </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with this thread n00b OMG ROFL LOL!!!!!1111

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 02:02 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> See! This is why I usually don't post! </font>

The Dude
07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
MrsNolanFan,

I'm honored that 30% of your posts up to this point are in my humble thread. Don't let the [censored] WSU alumni that thinks he's all that because his name is green get you down. I'll kick his ass later for you.

The Dude
07-30-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah, no. Much more cheesy than that. My girlfriend and I have recently discovered how much we enjoy reading out loud to each other, and her Dr. Seuss book "Fox in Socks" is our favorite. So I guess I shouldn't limit suggestions to only Dr. Seuss books, but I'm going to be getting several of those.

I just bought Oh, The Places You'll Go, Horton Hears a Who!, and The Lorax from amazon.com. I'll probably go into a Borders with her to pick out some more.

Any non-Seuss suggestions for books that are particularly fun to read aloud?

goofball
07-30-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah, no. Much more cheesy than that. My girlfriend and I have recently discovered how much we enjoy reading out loud to each other, and her Dr. Seuss book "Fox in Socks" is our favorite. So I guess I shouldn't limit suggestions to only Dr. Seuss books, but I'm going to be getting several of those.

I just bought Oh, The Places You'll Go, Horton Hears a Who!, and The Lorax from amazon.com. I'll probably go into a Borders with her to pick out some more.

Any non-Seuss suggestions for books that are particularly fun to read aloud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the Wild Things Are.

Same girl?

Jack of Arcades
07-30-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I have recently discovered how much we enjoy reading out loud to each other

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]' A. Lucky man.

The Dude
07-30-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same girl?

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah. You might get a chance to meet her if you show up at The Wynn at the right time. We're coming to Vegas at the end of October and will be staying there.

This same girl that reads "Fox on Socks" out loud to me asked me to take her to a boxing match in Vegas! Awesome.

Luv2DriveTT
07-30-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give the man a green nick, and he has a power trip eh?

Missing both of your presence in NYC this weekend...

PS: Scott.... really now, baseball cards for the girls?

nolanfan34
07-30-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give the man a green nick, and he has a power trip eh?

Missing both of your presence in NYC this weekend...

PS: Scott.... really now, baseball cards for the girls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kid, I kid! Mrs. Nolanfan will keep posting for sure, now that she has a slick new avatar.

Really wish we could make Bunkfest, maybe next year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Green Eggs and Ham.

Jesse Jackson doing a tribute reading of Green Eggs and Ham on Saturday Night Live in 1991 (just after Seuss died) was a fine piece of television history.

sfer
07-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I think your title should be "The Boss of Nolanfan"

MarkL444
07-30-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ban her ass

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same girl?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. You might get a chance to meet her if you show up at The Wynn at the right time. We're coming to Vegas at the end of October and will be staying there.

This same girl that reads "Fox on Socks" out loud to me asked me to take her to a boxing match in Vegas! Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Is this the girl I was talking to on your phone in Vegas? If so, I approve! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
If it's not, you probably don't care whether you have my approval or not.
Also, for reading aloud... try some Shell Silverstein: "Where the Sidewalk Ends" "The Giving Tree" etc... classics.</font>

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your title should be "The Boss of Nolanfan"

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Good idea </font>

MrsNolanFan
07-30-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ban her ass

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Rude! You are not my friend. </font>

ILL34GL3
07-30-2005, 02:25 PM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1146/seuss28lz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
I loves me some racisms.

The Dude
07-30-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the girl I was talking to on your phone in Vegas? If so, I approve! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is. And thankyou.

The Dude
07-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Bump, to give you guys one more chance to recommend good "read-aloud" books, before I let this thread die.

Happy Hour
07-31-2005, 01:17 PM
My favorite:

I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0394800923/002-4211882-1149665?v=glance)

Luv2DriveTT
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Same girl?

Yeah. You might get a chance to meet her if you show up at The Wynn at the right time. We're coming to Vegas at the end of October and will be staying there.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Is this the girl I was talking to on your phone in Vegas? If so, I approve! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
If it's not, you probably don't care whether you have my approval or not.
Also, for reading aloud... try some Shell Silverstein: "Where the Sidewalk Ends" "The Giving Tree" etc... classics.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Good ones.. My mother gave me Shell's books as a child, she went out of her way to have them signed. I wish I still had them, they were very creative. Remember I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor?

NYC locals - Shell lived in the LES on 1st and Ave A.

Luv2DriveTT
07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I loves me some racisms.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my... I didn't know. It really does put Dr. Seuss in a different category for me now, very disappointing.

He did come from a different time, and for that we must all excuse some ignorance... but it still doesn't make it ok.

jakethebake
07-31-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a kid, these were some of my favorite books. I still remember one of my favorites:

Teddy said it was a hat.
So I put it on.
Now Dad's saying,
"Where the heck's the toilet plunger gone?"

Good stuff.

daryn
07-31-2005, 03:17 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I loves me some racisms.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my... I didn't know. It really does put Dr. Seuss in a different category for me now, very disappointing.

He did come from a different time, and for that we must all excuse some ignorance... but it still doesn't make it ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is it racist? we were at war.

SCfuji
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
does that mean its okay to rape women in other countries? only if we are at war with them of course. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Luv2DriveTT
07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I loves me some racisms.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is it racist? we were at war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being at war doesn't make it ok. I still cringe every time I hear someone make a towelhead comment, its just wrong. We should all strive to be above this, America is the the great melting pot.. all races, creeds, colors and religions.

Millions of asians in America during that time were persecuted, rounded up into camps to sift out the Japanese. Can you imagine how horrible it must have been to live in the US and be Chinese at that time? I shudder to think.

I'm off my soapbox now, thanks for listening.

daryn
07-31-2005, 06:19 PM
my point is that there's nothing racist about it. it's a charicature of a japanese guy. nothing is said that is racaist.

Luv2DriveTT
07-31-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my point is that there's nothing racist about it. it's a charicature of a japanese guy. nothing is said that is racaist.

[/ QUOTE ]

The character isn't the problem, I agree with you that if history is ignored there is nothing wrong with it. In fact I never realized these characters had a race at all until it was pointed out in this thread. But when you back the character up with historical facts, then it is disturbing. Similar examples would be the portrayal of African Americans in Disney and Loony Toons flicks, or in the Our Gang series of shorts. I like them all and appreciate them for what they are, but its still disturbing.

daryn
07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
what's disturbing is that you (and presumably others?) think it's disturbing.

Luv2DriveTT
07-31-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's disturbing is that you (and presumably others?) think it's disturbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

take a step back for a minute, and imagine what you would feel if you were Asian, and your family were detained in a war-time camp even though your grandparents lived in the US for more than 60 years, working hard to build the railroads. Kinda sucks, doesn't it? Thats why its disturbing, one of our great childhood authors helped to extend the racial hatred that were used to rally americans behind the war. Influencing our young children's minds with propaganda.

Again, with all that said, I still like his work none the less. I am not outraged or anything, but it is disappointing to learn he was involved in racial stereotyping propaganda during WWII.

daryn
07-31-2005, 09:08 PM
i still say there's nothing wrong with wanting to beat the "bad guys".

if someone put out an obvious caricature of osama bin laden with a ridiculous towel on his head and said the same thing "let's wipe the smirk off his face" or something, you would think that's bad too?

it's not saying "wipe the smirk of the faces of all arabs and everyone different than you!"

cbfair
07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bump, to give you guys one more chance to recommend good "read-aloud" books, before I let this thread die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recommend a Seuss book that hasn't been mentioned, but since you seem to have opened the floor, I recommend A Giraffe And A Half by Shel Silverstein.

While you're at it, check out some of Shel's more adult works (http://www.banned-width.com/shel.html).

ethan
07-31-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a kid, these were some of my favorite books. I still remember one of my favorites:

Teddy said it was a hat.
So I put it on.
Now Dad's saying,
"Where the heck's the toilet plunger gone?"

Good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067121148X/qid=1122864974/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-6266804-8459953?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846).

eviljeff
08-03-2005, 04:33 AM
"did you ever know how lucky you are?" something like that