PDA

View Full Version : Metagame and table image, what are you doing and why?

Percula
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I play live most of the time. I play with the same players on a regular basis, in so much as there is a core of about 8 players that play everyday and one or two of us end up on the same table, so we have lots of hands played. There is a larger group 20+ that are semi-regular that I will play with once or twice a week.

I present an image of a rock/tight player that gets very aggressive with a made hand, but is not beyond buying a few pots or running some wild plays.

So far it works most of the time, but it is just a matter of time before I am going to have to take the tricky/agro game to a different place. So I am looking for others experiece when it comes to playing with the same people all the time and having to make adjustments as a result.

MagnoliasFM
07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
It depends what level your opponents are on. If they are on the same or a higher level than you, you must constantly switch gears to keep them guessing and then you have to learn how to use decision theory, trapping, and psychology as your main weapons.

However, if your opponents are a lower level than you (which is probably the case) you can actually manipulate them and use tells and reverse tells to get the better of them. Practice producing your own subtle tells as much as you look for other people's tells. Most people are at a level where they look only for other people's tells, but do not create fake tells themselves. While giving off tells against these (level 1) players can be really profitable once in a while, if you accidentally use them against level 3 players you will give away information.

As far as the cards, the more you play with the same people, the more you have to mix it up. This doesn't mean to all of a sudden maniacally raise with crap cards all the time, but even if you bet a certain way with 90% nuts and 10% crap, your nuts will get paid off a lot more, because normal players will not quantify this 90/10 ratio in their minds. Read a post on here about "shania" or something like that.