PDA

View Full Version : physical symptoms of tilt

revots33
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Since tilt is such a big problem in poker, I was just wondering if anyone out there notices any physical symptoms that seem to accompany tilt, or that seem to warn that a tilt session is imminent.

For me, I notice that a primary symptom when I start tilting is a flushed, warm feeling. Sometimes I actually feel like I'm sweating and breathing faster than normal. Now, I'm trying to learn to stop playing if I notice these symptoms coming on, as they are a sure signal I'm not in control of my emotions.

I'm also wondering, are there really people on this board who are truly immune to tilt? It seems like a great idea in theory, but we are only human and I think everyone must have a breaking point when the bad beats and suckouts keep on coming.

vexvelour
07-29-2005, 04:15 PM
I've noticed normally quiet players go on tilt and begin to talk the table up a little more. They become verbally more agressive (even slightly), and might even rearrange their chips in different stacks. One person in particular I can think of turns an odd shade of red, and with him, usually a very agressive, I'm-going-to-steal-the-blinds attitude follows. If they're really short stacked after a bad beat, someone on tilt might even pick up their stack from the table and hold in their hand. Just some stuff off the top of my head.

I think becoming immune to tilt has to do with how many hands you've seen in your lifetime. If your full boat has gone down to a straight flush 20x in your poker career, I'm sure it's (somewhat) less emotional as the first few times.

DCWGaming
07-29-2005, 04:57 PM
The biggest symptom I noticed back when I was more vulnerable to tilting was that the blood would rush to my head. This would result in my decisions becoming much quicker and much more instinctive (which in poker is real bad).

The way i overcame it was just playing more and more tables. You just dont have time to get angry. And you'll see so many beats within a short period of time that you'll either go insane or stop caring.

ChicagoTroy
07-29-2005, 04:58 PM
My biggest physical symptom is I pick up chips and put them in the pot.

The Goober
07-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I get the same warm feeling and I feel like my heart rate goes up a bit. Also, I pretty much constantly fidget with my chips, but when I'm relaxed its in a controlled, smooth manner. As I go on tilt, my hand movements become a little more violent - I squeeze the chips in the my hand, drops the stacks loudly on top of each other, and if I'm low on chips I'll sometimes knock over my chips stacks into a big pile. I tend to get very impatient and extra fidgety too.

I also tend to say to myself "I'm pissed off, but I can still play good poker."

Man, writing all this out really drives home to me how often I go on tilt and try to just play through it. I think this may be the biggest leak in my game.

scar_face
07-29-2005, 06:55 PM
if you know what physcial symptoms are correlated with playing poorly, why not just get away from the game for awhile until they subside? btw it sounds like you are having a friggin anxiety attack.