PDA

View Full Version : Seven card stud or pot limit omaha

07-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm currently very interested in learning a new poker game and is caught in between 7 card stud or pot limit omaha. I'm wondering which game is easier to learn and master. It would be a bonus if you can tell me why you choose one over the other. Thanks for your help

Tilt
07-29-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently very interested in learning a new poker game and is caught in between 7 card stud or pot limit omaha. I'm wondering which game is easier to learn and master. It would be a bonus if you can tell me why you choose one over the other. Thanks for your help

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking of changing my religion. I'm stuck between Judaism and Islam. Is it easier to become a Rabbi or an Imam? Tell me why I should do either. Thanks for your help.

RickyG
07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of changing my religion. I'm stuck between Judaism and Islam. Is it easier to become a Rabbi or an Imam? Tell me why I should do either. Thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING!

autobet
07-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I chose PLO because I like it more than stud.

Stud might be easier in the beginning, but both games are hard to master.

Spellmen
07-29-2005, 04:59 PM
It's really going to come down to personal preference. Ask this in the stud forum and I'm sure they will tell you about Stud, I say PLO /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joewatch
07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
If you are a winning NLHE or PLHE player, PLO will be very easy to pick up. I have only been playing PLO for a month and have already become a consistent winner. Not only that, I am winning at a much higher rate than I did playing NLHE.

I suggest you play both with play money for a little while and see which you like more.

Cooker
07-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I believe that playing Holdem can be a draw back at first, since the hand values are quite inflated in Omaha. You see nut straights, nut flushes, and full houses way more in Omaha than Holdem, and consistently calling with or raising TPTK would make you the biggest sucker at almost every table you sit at. You also see big hands lose often. If a third card to a suit falls in Holdem, your nut straight will often be good. In Omaha, it will usually be beaten. Same for your flush when the river pairs the board. If you do a little study and can make these adjustments quickly (as well as get a sense of starting hand values) then you will do fine coming from holdem.

The mechanics are much the same, so blinds, position, recognizing the nuts, etc will be pretty easy though (although remember AK52 doesn't have a full house on a KKTT3 board since you must play exactly 2 hole cards). This is where learning Omaha will be easiest. In stud you have to deal with an entirely new betting structure (antes and bring ins), position depending on high hand showing, extra betting rounds, remembering dead cards, and the fact that hands can be more concealed (your opponent can make a boat or quads and have no pair showing on his board).

I think your winrate figures to be much better in PLO than limit stud, which is the only version of stud I have played. Therefore, I play much more PLO than I do stud.

bilyin
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
I think PLO is the game of the future. Just look at the World Series of Poker, there are more and bigger PLO games than stud. I think stud is also harder to start winning at. It is easier to start winning at PLO but very difficult to become an expert. However, stud is a great game and will improve your other games (cross training effect).

greatwhite
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Although I don't think plo is the game of the future (which it has been for the past 25 years) I think a hold'em player could adjust to it better than stud, because they both use community cards. Before playing plo though you should just play limit omaha hi to get use to the game.I would suggest playing many play money sngs, because that's how I got good at omaha. However, I personally suggest learning both. To me being a great poker player is the ability to play all the games. However, I enjoy omaha better, because I don't have to memorize cards and there are alot more fish then in the stud games.

beset7
07-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I think if the goal is to improve your general poker game then it's 7stud. Learning a non-flop game can help you take it to the next level.

Rosie5
07-30-2005, 02:20 AM
learn omaha

you can't multi table 7CS. Terrible game for the internet

beset7
07-30-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can't multi table 7CS.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong forum to discuss this but I disagree. I multi-table stud high and stud h/l quite successfully when I can find enough juicy games [I just had the pleasure of fleecing the PP 5/10 for 150xBB 4-tabling when my buddy list lit up with stud players]. It's difficult but very doable even without using dead card recording software (which most multi-tablers do I'm afraid).

In low ante games (i.e. party poker 3/6 and up) you should be playing super-tight on 3rd and 5th st. and you'll rarely have to focus on more then one table with an active hand beyond 5th.

Rosie5
07-30-2005, 05:35 AM
of course people can do it, I'm just saying you're at a great disadvantage if you try.

I'm sure people can 20 table limit hold em, that doesn't mean anything. The average player can't do that and the average player can't play very many tables of stud

On a side note, I would like to try pot limit 7 card stud one day, that game looks fun as hell. If there were a 10$ buyin game of that somewhere I'd be so there