PDA

View Full Version : Call the river playing the board?

robertsonjohn
07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
I've only played a few orbits - BB hasn't done anything to stand out one way or another.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666"></font>
Hero raises, folded to BB, BB 3-bets, Hero caps.

Flop: (8.5 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero...

@bsolute_luck
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
why did you check the turn? i'm assuming it is because you thought you didn't have the best hand. i would think based on that decision, this river just made your hand MUCH worse rather than better.

i would think if you think your hand is best on the turn, bet again and check behind on the river. i don't see many 3-betting preflop hands (if any) you're ahead of right now BTW /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

imported_The Vibesman
07-29-2005, 03:49 PM
I think I'd rather bet the turn and check behind on the river here.

BB 3bet out of position with you, the original raiser, the only one left in the hand. That means it was a 3bet purely for value. I don't think you have the best hand here. You may be looking at KK or QQ which was scared of the ace, but decided you didn't have it when you checked the turn. The pot's pretty small, I don't think you should call here.

Webster
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't think I rasie 99 UTG+1 - why would you do that. you WANT players in that hand - raising will not fold the GOOD hands but it will take away the weak ones that add to the pot if you hit.

Which you did not - thus - PERSONALLY (IMHO) after you did not win the pot on the flop I'm check/calling or check/folding (more likely) on the turn.

robertsonjohn
07-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Checked the turn because I picked up the flush draw and because I felt his flop call was a set-up for a turn checkraise. Once he called the flop bet, I couldn't imagine any hand I'm ahead of here either, nor could I imagine any hand I could push him off of - KK &amp; QQ might be nervous with this board, but they're not going to fold.

I have seen plenty of BB's 3-bet any pocket pair when it's heads-up, hoping to push out overs on the flop, so that's why the PF cap, but when he called the flop bet, I figured I was done (unless I had a read on him as a maniac)

Fantam
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
I cant see you being ahead of many hands that BB could have reasonably 3-bet you with preflop.

I dont think that the flop was a very good one for you, and I would have felt inclined to check behind.

The turn looks suspisciously like BB called your flop bet with the intention of check/raising you on the turn.

However his plan was spoiled by your checking behind, so he bets out for value on the river.

Even if BB 3-bet preflop with something like KQs, you are behind to the straight. I would not be overly concerned about folding this on the river. I think you are behind most of the time here.

robertsonjohn
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
I disagree with limping 99 from UTG +1. 99 does not have to be played for set value only. Hitting your set is nice, but in a smaller pot with few people, it can just as easily be played against the dope who calls my PF raise with KJ and whiffs on the flop. Yes, high card boards (and re-raises) force you to re-evaluate, but I still think it's a long term winner to open-raise here. Do you limp with JJ here as well?

deception5
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
99 is a pretty standard raise utg imho. I would just call the 3 bet though.

I think the villian's range of hands has you completely dominated. I can't think of 1 hand a decent player would 3-bet that doesn't have you beaten here. There's no way you're ahead 1 time in 6 here.

Ax/KK/QQ/KQ/Jx/Tx are all ahead. You'd have to hope for K9/Q9/88 or lower just to split the 5BB pot. Just fold.

I don't mind the turn check as you have possible flush outs here.

UATrewqaz
07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Easy easy easy easy fold.

You are risking 1 BB to win about 2 (you can at best SPLIT playing the board). In other words you need to right 1 in 3 times for this to be break even at best.

The villain's play lead me to believe he has a mediocre ace (a8 suited or some crap) or KK/QQ, was worried about the jacks or an ace/better ace for a second, then figured out he had the best hand.

If the pot were large (say 20BB) then you could reasonably argue for a call.

Eeegah
07-29-2005, 05:18 PM
You are ahead of precisely zero 3-betting hands. Fold.

Edit: As for preflop, for what it's worth SSHE would have this as a raising hand here in UTG+1 since it's 9 handed.

robertsonjohn
07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
This is pretty much what I thought, and I did fold (and didn't get to see his cards), but I guess I had seen enough bluff raisers steal heads-up pots that past few days that I was at least tempted to make him show.

All that being said, does anyone agree with the PF cap? I reasoned that I had position, a decent starting pair, and on certain flops, it would enable me to bet out some better hands since I am pretty much representing a monster (this hand not serving as a very good example of that). I'm usually a pretty conservative better, so if anyone was paying attention, they wouldn't tag me as a LAG who needs to be looked up.

aK13
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm tempted to call the preflop 3bet, and raise a good flop.

I'm folding that river.