PDA

View Full Version : Muse

SL__72
07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
A friend told me this band was pretty good so I downloaded them on yahoo music and so far I'm a fan. Their singer sounds kinda like Thome York. Two questions about them...

First, have they been around for awhile and I'm dumb for not knowing who they are? New upcoming band? They suck and I'm tasteless for liking them?

Second, are there any other bands like this I am missing out on? I got yahoo music so I could try out a whole bunch of new music and I'm running out of new stuff to download.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm a fan of Absolution. I think it's a great album. I lent it to a friend who's Irish and likes a lot of brit rock, thinks Radiohead's the greatest thing, etc. He just came out and said he doesn't like Muse because he thinks they're trying to copy Radiohead. I personally don't agree on the copying Radiohead part - I think it's just a kneejerk reaction to hearing the guy's voice.

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
nothing stands out about them, to me atleast. What Songs should I be checking out, because I didn't really like what I heard all that much.

SL__72
07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
When I first downloaded them I just started listening to the Absolution CD from the beginning and liked it starting w/ the first song (Apocalypse Please).

I think my favorite song so far is probably "Thoughts of Dying an Atheist" or "Butterflies & Hurricanes"

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothing stands out about them, to me atleast. What Songs should I be checking out, because I didn't really like what I heard all that much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand people who say nothing really stands out about them in particular, but I do like the album a lot. It's not revolutionary or going to change your life or anything, but it's a good listen. My favorite songs are "Time is Running Out", "Hysteria", and a little farther back, "Stockholm Syndrome" and "Butterflies and Hurricanes". "Apocalypse Please" sets up nicely for "Time is Running Out". The rest is mostly filler-ish, which I guess indicates that maybe I shouldn't have called it a great album, but it does set a decent mood. I like it.

I'd suggest listening to it as an album instead of track-by-track. "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria" are single-type songs (and are indeed the two singles), but the rest sounds better as part of the whole. I guess I'm more of the type to listen to albums than singles, though, so whatever that means.

I do think they could've done better with the production of the album.

yellowjack
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
They've been around for at least 6 years, but I hadn't heard of them until recently as well. I've listened to Absolution many, many times and I recommend:

Time is Running Out
Stockholm Syndrome
Hysteria
Butteflies & Hurricanes
The Small Print

mason55
07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand people who say nothing really stands out about them in particular, but I do like the album a lot. It's not revolutionary or going to change your life or anything, but it's a good listen. My favorite songs are "Time is Running Out", "Hysteria", and a little farther back, "Stockholm Syndrome". "Apocalypse Please" sets up nicely for "Time is Running Out". The rest is mostly filler-ish, which I guess indicates that maybe I shouldn't have called it a great album, but it does set a decent mood. I like it.

I'd suggest listening to it as an album instead of track-by-track. "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria" are single-type songs (and are indeed the two singles), but the rest sounds better as part of the whole. I guess I'm more of the type to listen to albums than singles, though, so whatever that means.

I do think they could've done better with the production of the album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time is Running Out got a TON of radio airplay. I don't even own a radio and heard it all the time. Surprised that lots of people haven't heard of them.

SL__72
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I rarely listen to the radio (at least to music) because all of the radio stations around here suck a lot... (twin cities)

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah I have heard "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria", didn't like either one very much.

partygirluk
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Absolution is by far my least favourite Muse album. OOS and Showbiz are about as good as each other and are great albums IMO. They are fantastic live, their gig at Glastonbury 2004 is the best I have ever seen live.

To OP: They have been around for maybe 6 years or so and are medium level big over here in the UK. You dont suck at all for likeing them - do try and catach them live.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I have heard "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria", didn't like either one very much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it's just not for you, then.

partygirluk
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Try

Sunburn
Cave
Bliss
New Born
Plug In Baby
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Sober
Muscle Museum

mason55
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely listen to the radio (at least to music) because all of the radio stations around here suck a lot... (twin cities)

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously missed my point which that the song got so much airplay that someone (me) who doesn't even own a radio got sick of it.

partygirluk
07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it's just not for you, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily - I quite like those two tracks but they are far from my favourites. They are both guitar tracks and I prefer Muse's piano led tracks, perhaps TSC will too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Riskwise
07-29-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you listen to way too much rap i think to like them your first couple of times hearing them.

[ QUOTE ]
He just came out and said he doesn't like Muse because he thinks they're trying to copy Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]

false.

The first time i heard them i thought they are just an average alright band. But the vocals really grow on you. I like almost all their songs but i found the better ones are the ones a little more fast paced and not so soft.

The Better Songs:
Time Is Running Out
New Born
Bliss
Hysteria
The Small Print
Plug-in Baby
Muscle Museum
Cave
Stockholm Syndrom
Sunburn
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Feelin' Good
Space Dementia
Fillip
Sober
Uno

Also you guys should check out the other bands in my post eariler today (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3000520&Fo rum=f20&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2986980& Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=18859&daterange=1&n ewerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypre v=#Post3000520)

They came to St. Cloud, MN last summer and were amazing live. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

istewart
07-29-2005, 06:10 PM
I bought their album off of iTunes on a spur-of-the-moment thing after hearing them compared to Radiohead.

They're bad. Very bad. Like, unlistenable at times.

Riskwise
07-29-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bought their album off of iTunes on a spur-of-the-moment thing after hearing them compared to Radiohead.

They're bad. Very bad. Like, unlistenable at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else agree with this?

Claunchy
07-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Completely and totally mediocre.

Riskwise
07-29-2005, 06:22 PM
oh yeah, Feelin' Good is a cover from the song for the new WSOP this year and its like 100x better. If your not planning on listening to any, just listen to Feelin' Good because of the reason above.