PDA

View Full Version : Are there groupies that hang around high stakes games?

betgo
07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
I mean real groupies, like the ones that follow rock bands.

Lady Dont Tekno
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah and then Doyle goes and f's them backstage after dragging a big pot.

LDT

sekrah
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah and then Doyle goes and f's them backstage after dragging a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, they're called 'prostitutes'.

Vincent Lepore
07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I hope that f's stands for feels. I doubt Doyle is up for too much more than that. His heart after all.

Vince

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
I think closest to the groupies in the poker world are the actors and actresses(there used to having groupies, but in this world they are the groupies). Shannon Elizabeth, Jennfer Tilly(i think both these girls are now dating poker players. i know jennfier is and think Shannon is too.

BeerMoney
07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're called buttons. Cause they get passed around like the dealer button.

Cyrus
07-30-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there groupies that hang around high stakes [poker] games? I mean real groupies, like the ones that follow rock bands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, poker is as exciting to watch as a rock concert.

Gets the girls all hot and bothered just being near the stage.

betgo
07-30-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, poker is as exciting to watch as a rock concert.

Gets the girls all hot and bothered just being near the stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read in Anthony Holden's book from 15 years ago that there were some. Some of these guys have a lot of money and there is excitement of the risk.

worm33
07-30-2005, 11:11 AM
groupies in cardrooms are usualy dealers waiteresses and chip runners. And they sleep with the big game players in any given room, not the 2-4 players. So in my opinion thats a groupie.

Peter666
07-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Where there is lots of money, women are sure to follow. I just wonder whether these groupies are really good looking or not?

TimTimSalabim
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're called buttons. Cause they get passed around like the dealer button.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're sleeping with some of those guys, they should be called blinds.

MicroBob
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
when i played 15/30 at the bellagio i happened to be at a table with a clear view into the 'big' game.

Greenstein, Hansen, Ciau Giang and Johnny Chan were playing (along with a couple of players I didn't recognize).

I wasn't able to see much in the glass-room though....because all the young 20-something's with amazing bodies were blocking my view (not that I minded).

They were crawling all over each other just to get a peek.
"That's THE Barry Greenstein!!" they giggled.
They screamed, they begged the bouncer to let them in.

Chan gave a little signal at one point to obviously indicate to let a particularly hot-blonde 'back-stage'.
Greenstein looked them over and eventually settled on a brunette but was obviously disappointed with that night's group.
"I can't wait for the WSOP to be over," he complained. "It's splitting up the poker-groupies too much and too many of the hot one's are over at the Rio hovering over those games. Don't these girls know that I'm the best. Just wait for the tourney to end....THEN they'll remember."

The dealers told me that the crowd is very difficult to walk through in Sept and Oct because all the 'tourney-groupies' come back to the 'big-game' and just scream and run-around like crazy.
"It's like a Who concert" one of them told me.
Doyle had to double his assortment of body-guards naturally.
Chan surprisingly only has 4 or 5 personnel surrounding him which struck me as awfully dangerous considering how crazed some of these screaming fans are.
There's also a rumor that Greenstein is considering getting one of those bullet-proof 'pope-bubbles' because of a couple of particularly over-zealous stalkers.

whiskeytown
07-31-2005, 01:08 AM
LOL

RB

coffeecrazy1
07-31-2005, 01:37 AM
To be fair, I think we can safely call Jennifer Tilly a poker player now.

MCS
07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh. That's pretty funny.

Nightwish
08-01-2005, 03:19 AM
Don't know about that, but I saw a spectacular-looking blonde at 4 AM on Friday sitting next to Gus Hansen and stroking his hand (I kid you not). This was inside Bobby's Room at the Bellagio.

Rick Nebiolo
08-01-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.

~ Rick

Vincent Lepore
08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that "pretty boys" find humor in others misfortune. Rick, we can't all be an Itallian Adonis. Oh.... I mean they can't all be an Itallian Adonis. We can, Rick, you and me, but at least I show a little humility. That's why I dress as I do. Don't want to have all of THEM attacking me. I understand how being "pretty" like you can turn ones head, god knows I've lived with it all of my life, but at your advanced age I would think one should GET OVER IT!

Vince

Rick Nebiolo
08-02-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that "pretty boys" find humor in others misfortune. Rick, we can't all be an Itallian Adonis. Oh.... I mean they can't all be an Itallian Adonis. We can, Rick, you and me, but at least I show a little humility. That's why I dress as I do. Don't want to have all of THEM attacking me. I understand how being "pretty" like you can turn ones head, god knows I've lived with it all of my life, but at your advanced age I would think one should GET OVER IT!

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry Vince, I'm over it.

Anyway, you used to complain that you never got any action i.e., laid. If I had your name, looks and even the better parts of your personality, but was able to keep my judgement, knowledge, grooming habits, and taste in clothes, I'd be getting all the "action" anyone could want /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

~ Rick

Vincent Lepore
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
even the better parts of your personality

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there more than one part?

As for women. We have a mutual buddy whose wife, someone I love dearly, is trying to fix me up. I guess like you she feels there is a need. I told her that it's no use. All the wondeful ladies that I would like are, sadly, taken. Hero is a prime example of the "god i wish I met her first" category. But alas that can never be, she has a real pretty boy and I have to accept that. Who said you can't be lucky in cards and lucky in love too! Why when someone says that to me I always think of you, my buddy Dangerous, Greg, Mason and a few others. I guess they are talking about me. I would say Sklansky too but man that guy gets lucky all of the time.

Vince

bicyclekick
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
groupies in cardrooms are usualy dealers waiteresses and chip runners. And they sleep with the big game players in any given room, not the 2-4 players. So in my opinion thats a groupie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just not big enough.

Rick Nebiolo
08-02-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We have a mutual buddy whose wife, someone I love dearly, is trying to fix me up. I guess like you she feels there is a need."

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think first things first. She should dress you up before even trying to fix you up.

~ Rick

tek
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they're called 'prostitutes'.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's two types of whores in Vegas. Sex whores and chip whores.

TStoneMBD
08-02-2005, 11:07 PM
if i was in vegas i would be eyeballing the 4k/8k all the time. like i would probably watch the game for like 30 hours a week if i had a good view. does that make me a groupie?

Vincent Lepore
08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i was in vegas i would be eyeballing the 4k/8k all the time. like i would probably watch the game for like 30 hours a week if i had a good view. does that make me a groupie

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you put out at the end of the game...or during a break.

Vince

MicroBob
08-03-2005, 05:40 AM
you can't really get a good view...i wasn't kidding when I said that my 15/30 table at the Bellagio was right next to the glass room and that I could look in directly and see Greenstein, Hansen, Giang and Chan (and a couple unknowns).

Chan was sitting with his bare-feet propped up on a chair while sitting in the 3-seat or so.

But you just couldn't see any of the action obviously.

Half-way felt like barging in and saying 'Hi Johnny! Remember Me?!?!' as this was just one day after i had been at the same table as Chan for about 10 hours during the WSOP main-event so we would no doubt recognize me...and certainly pretend like he had never seen me before (he busted out about 10 minutes after I did).

BTW - Chan was reasonably fun to play with even though he was frustrated with not getting cards and slowly getting blinded out. He was kind of playful and chatty at times. I asked him about his thoughts on the WSOP getting to 6,000 players and stuff like that.
We also had the ESPN cameras checking on our table quite frequently and he kept telling them "I still have chips guys. Sorry.... See?!?! They just keep coming by hoping to see me bust-out!! That's all they care about!"