PDA

View Full Version : how tight

nykenny
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
for those of you who play on party 30/60 regularly,

1) do you feel playing 19% VPIP too tight, too loose, or about right?

2) do you feel deception play is very important, back fires, or not important? (my experience tells me during some of the evening hours, people play more observant than during others)

3) how bad are the swings you have had, if not mind sharing?

4) is early aggression more important than later streets' or they are just as in any other limits?

thanks in advance

ike
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
19 is about right, I'm just slightly looser.
Deceptive preflop play, especially limprr'ing and smoothcalling heads up from the blinds with huge hands has been very good in my experience. Also, randomly capping garbage HU when you get 3bet is good too.
200BB swings are nothing to worry about assuming you have the bankroll to stand them.
Flop raises are generally treated as close to meaningless in this game, because they usually are and no one seems to care if yours actually mean something.

mach3
07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I think 19% is about right. Deception is important, since most people play very good ABC poker at that level. You have to mix things up to squeeze out the extra bets. Losing 200-300BBs over a few days in that game is not uncommon if things aren't clicking.

I think, as demonstrated by several good players hovering around 1.5BB/100 hands, that it's a tough game. Most of the profit comes from the weaker players who dabble, so I try to focus on them and avoid the regulars.

Lestat
07-30-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, randomly capping garbage HU when you get 3bet is good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for who?

The Truth
07-30-2005, 03:37 AM
1) 19% is too loose.
2)Deception is fairly important. The "deception" part is more about picking your spots.. i.e. find the right opponent when the action has flowed in the right direction.
3)Swings are alot like all the other limits.
4)The players are still controlable. Use your betting to control the pot and the other player.

nykenny
08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
19 is about right, I'm just slightly looser.
Deceptive preflop play, especially limprr'ing and smoothcalling heads up from the blinds with huge hands has been very good in my experience. Also, randomly capping garbage HU when you get 3bet is good too.
200BB swings are nothing to worry about assuming you have the bankroll to stand them.
Flop raises are generally treated as close to meaningless in this game, because they usually are and no one seems to care if yours actually mean something.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the advice on the "deception" factor. capping random garbage out of position might be OK if done very infrequently against some a-sshole players who loves to isolate too much /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

- Kenny

elmo
08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
18.6/12.9 here. Deceptive preflop. LRR has shown a significant increase in my bb/hand with AA/KK/AKs UTG though the sample is obviously too small. -300BB (38, 36 went and won at SD) in 12k hands, +500 bb (42, 56 went and won at sd) in 10k hands. Also, I've been occasionally checking through the flop in steal situations with a wide range of hands, which has been very effective.

1800GAMBLER
08-01-2005, 07:16 PM
i'd like to add to this rather than start a new thread.

how important do you all think player reads are? I'm too lazy to datamine, pokeredge was sweet but that's gone now. If you couldn't have any player reads at all what percentage do you think your win rate would drop?

thanks

Michael Davis
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
"how important do you all think player reads are?"

Much less important than most people make them out to be if your game is solid and includes natural trickiness.

-Michael

ggbman
08-01-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

how important do you all think player reads are? I'm too lazy to datamine, pokeredge was sweet but that's gone now. If you couldn't have any player reads at all what percentage do you think your win rate would drop?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think datamining is more useful at shorthanded tables so you know who to isolate against, since these situations come up more often short.

DpR
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I think it is important, but only for the multitablers/taskers. It is nice to immediately know if you are playing against a retarded player. I 4 table and often watch TV etc, so I am not always paying the most attention to the game to identify player habits, the stats allow me to adjust my play by opponent as appropriate. (obviously paying attention would be better)

1800GAMBLER
08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think datamining is more useful at shorthanded tables so you know who to isolate against, since these situations come up more often short.

[/ QUOTE ]

My rule for this is everyone who limps /images/graemlins/smile.gif i don't think having stats to help my 3 bet isolation plays will help much since i isolate a lot of players with 3 bets because nearly everyone raises a lot preflop in these games and will then shruggle to call on the flop with a high enough frequnecy that i'm not making auto money.

So onwards, i can't largely blame no player reads for my breakeven streak, i can't really blame variance either, i think it's time to 1 or 2 table while i fix up my abc game.

adamstewart
08-01-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Losing 200-300BBs over a few days in that game is not uncommon

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon?

Adam