PDA

View Full Version : Tap Beer

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Occasionally I get sick from tap beer. No, not "I'm hungover and I drank too much and so now I must puke" sick, but rather "I had a few beers last night and my stomach feels weird and I may puke" sick. Anyone else have this problem/experience? I know that the lines that run from the keg to the tap can get pretty disgusting. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Alobar
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
what kinda beer? Sometimes if I go somewhere and get something on tap that maybe most people donk drink, I find it to be really flat, like its just old beer, and i'll feel the way you described the next day.

Wintermute
07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Does this sickness seem to crop up once every month like clock-work? Sticks around for a week or so, you get cranky and experience cramps, too? Could be time to have that talk with your mommy.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
This generally happens when they don't rinse all the soap out of the glasses.

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what kinda beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter, although I think it has happened most with MillerLite. It happened last weekend with a darker beer at an outdoor bar.

Soul Daddy
07-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I know people who suffer from this as well, but they're all girls.

PokerBob
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? interesting

chaas4747
Clearly you are not ready to drink beer. Please stick to your Smirnoff Ice and Zima.

Alobar
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what kinda beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter, although I think it has happened most with MillerLite. It happened last weekend with a darker beer at an outdoor bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, weird, millerlite is my beer of choice, so thats what it happens to me with. Tho I guess since thats the beer I drink the most, its the one most likely to do that with.

I think jake is onto something about the soap tho

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly you are not ready to drink beer. Please stick to your Smirnoff Ice and Zima.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this sickness seem to crop up once every month like clock-work? Sticks around for a week or so, you get cranky and experience cramps, too? Could be time to have that talk with your mommy.

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is very dumb. your avatar, however, is not.

Eurotrash
07-29-2005, 12:03 PM
well, if you're looking for a manly substitute, there's always Hpnotiq. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2994391&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

The once and future king
07-29-2005, 12:03 PM
If the bar personel do not clean the pipes on a regular basis then this can happen. Does it happen after you drink at a particular venue?

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the bar personel do not clean the pipes on a regular basis then this can happen. Does it happen after you drink at a particular venue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is one place where I consistently have this problem.

samjjones
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.jackpot.com/images/freeshow/bingo.gif

Shajen
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to bring your own mug to this place then. I recommend this one:

http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/irishl.jpg

hoopsie44
07-29-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It also happens when the bartender doesn't like you and dips his johnson in your beer before serving it to you.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It also happens when the bartender doesn't like you and dips his johnson in your beer before serving it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Always check the front of your bartender's pants before taking a drink of a beer for the first time.

BruinEric
07-29-2005, 01:08 PM
When tap lines and faucets are not cleaned fairly regularly, bacteria or yeast can thrive on the sugary beer. I mean "sugary "chemically speaking -- the sweetness is extracted from the malted barley. It is this sugar that the yeast consumes to create alcohol and CO2.

Symptoms of poorly cleaned tap lines can include foamy beer, off-flavors in the beer (possibly not noticeable if served ice-cold in a frozen glass). If a beer tastes sour or metallic, then there is "bonus" fermentation going on.

Here in CA, most bars have their lines cleaned regularly by the beer distributor. This is a legal "free" service. Other bars pay their own tap line cleaning service. It is rare that any establishment which pours a lot of beer doesn't get this done frequently and for free. You may occasionally find the tiny restaurant with a small kegerator who doesn't keep their lines clean. I can't speak for your state.

Your stomach upset could also coincide with the food served at this establishment. Or perhaps you are getting sick. Or possibly there is something noxious "in the air" at this establishment.

There are some beers whose yeast esters can give headaches. These are usually funky belgian brews made with once-wild yeast strains, or other experimental brews. I will assume by "dark beer" you're meaning something mainstream and probably pasteurized so this isn't relevant to your situation.

ThaSaltCracka
07-29-2005, 01:12 PM
I love how most OOT response contain 15 BS replies, then someone comes in and gives a totally thorough post.

Pocket Trips
07-29-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if his bartender masturbates he won't get sick?

Drew16
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what kinda beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, weird, millerlite is my beer of choice, so thats what it happens to me with. Tho I guess since thats the beer I drink the most, its the one most likely to do that with.

I think jake is onto something about the soap tho

[/ QUOTE ]

Its probably because you are drinking MillerLite.

MrTrik
07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
I know a girl that gets a big red splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest when drinking tap beer. It doesn't bother her much and only lasts a few hours. Drinking bottles or cans doesn't give her this. I figure whatever her body doesn't like in tap beer may be the same thing making you ill. And it's not soap. We've noticed that she ends up the same way with fresh kegger cups or glassware.

samjjones
07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl that gets a big red splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest when drinking tap beer. It doesn't bother her much and only lasts a few hours. Drinking bottles or cans doesn't give her this. I figure whatever her body doesn't like in tap beer may be the same thing making you ill. And it's not soap. We've noticed that she ends up the same way with fresh kegger cups or glassware.

[/ QUOTE ]
A good counter for this is to induce your own big white splotchy discoloration on her face, neck, and chest.

Sponger15SB
07-29-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its probably because you are drinking MillerLite.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding!

Shajen
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this sometimes too. I call it "the Irish Drinker Face".

I believe it's a reaction to the beer, mild allergy or something. Don't get it with liquor, only beer and wine.

WDC
07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Its not that its tap its that its Miller Lite. Yuck.

pokerdirty
07-29-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Occasionally I get sick from tap beer. No, not "I'm hungover and I drank too much and so now I must puke" sick, but rather "I had a few beers last night and my stomach feels weird and I may puke" sick. Anyone else have this problem/experience? I know that the lines that run from the keg to the tap can get pretty disgusting. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the obvious reponse here "Don't drink beer from the tap anymore"?

PokerBob
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice it the most when I drink Premium at the Turf Club in St. Paul.

moondogg
07-29-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Isn't the obvious reponse here "Don't drink beer from the tap anymore"?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Shall he stop breathing as well?

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl that gets a big red splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest when drinking tap beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known lots of girls that have gotten drunk and ended up with big splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest. Not red though.

samjjones
07-29-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl that gets a big red splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest when drinking tap beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known lots of girls that have gotten drunk and ended up with big splotchy discoloration on her face, neck and chest. Not red though.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're 40 minutes late on this joke, Jake...

somethingstupid
07-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Try getting really drunk before you drink the tap beer.