PDA

View Full Version : Tourney Books - HOH v Slankys ' Tournament Poker for Advanced players'

Pondy
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I currently reading Theory of Poker (for the 4th time) coupled with Tourney Poker for advanced players. I also have a few other books as well ie. Lee Jones etc.

What I need is views on Slanskys Tourney Poker versus HOH, as I'm debating whether to purchase HOH v1 or carry on rereading my current ones.

What do all think of HOH and Slanskys Tourney one.

Should I purchase HOH ?

illegit
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Both are good. It's been a while since I read the Sklansky one, but HOH is fresh in my mind and was extremely beneficial. Read them both.

betgo
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
HOH is the main priority. It is really the only thing out there for NLHE MTTs.

Sklansky's book is worth reading. It is more conceptual/theorectical rather than telling you how to play specific hands. Probably 1/4 of it is on NLHE, with LMHE, Stud, O/8 also. There are some very important ideas in it though, so I would definately recommend it.

Pondy
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
HOH winging its way to me as I post!

thanks for your views.

SossMan
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
TPFAP is pretty useless when compared to HOH. It's very conceptual and theoretical and doesn't really give any concrete examples. Also, much of the book is dedicated to hands from games other than NLHE. It's not a bad book, but HOH is leaps and bounds better for most players.

WalleyeJason
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I just got HOH v1 and let me tell you this book is well written and loaded with info based around NLHE tournaments specificly. I have not read TPFAP so I can compare but the information in HOH is excellent...If your a MTT player, it better be on your shelf.

WJ

danger_mouse
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Tournament poker does an excellent job of explaining one key thing-- "Gap Concept." However, using the book as your sole tournament handbook is not feasible. Read it, but read HOH twice first. It is by far the best book on NL tournament play available.

AceHiStation
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Bought both at the same time after posting this exact type of thread. My conclusions...
*TPFAP = doorstop
*HOH = pretty decent

AZnuts
07-29-2005, 08:44 PM
TPFAP is full of what is still considered some very fundemental concepts in tournament play; things that Harrington refers to in his books like the Gap Concept. I say it's still a must read for new players.

But having already read that, I think Harrington's books (V1 and V2 now) have filled an enormous void for tournament NL play. His books are the first to help me how to think through hands at every stage. Too many books just say, "make this play" in this situation, but it's not clear why exactly; or "raise this much w AK in early position", but what the hell do I do when it misses completely?

I think Harrington has done the first real job at revealing how top tournament players like him think. I love his books, but it's probably helped by the fact that I play a very similar style to his naturally.

JGlo
07-29-2005, 09:03 PM
No question- HOH- I bought both books at the same time when I knew I was going to have some time off and would be able to read for an extended period. I liked HOH better because there are more hand examples of the theories he discusses. Just bought HOH2 and not disappointed so far.