PDA

View Full Version : How would you maximize value on this hand?

blockafor
07-29-2005, 10:32 AM
3rd level of a Stars $11 MTT. No reads on villain in this hand. Folded to him in CO (2340 in chips) and he limps for 50. SB completes and I check my BB (1740 in chips left) with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BOOM!

Check, check, CO bets 200 into 125 pot. SB folds. Hero...

The options I considered were to call and see if he'll fire a larger bet on turn (especially if an undercard hits). However, my flat call of a very large bet can be viewed as a sign of big strength.

I considered min-raising or raising to 500 since he may be too stubborn to fold top pair and this move may be interpreted as less strength than just calling. And then checking the turn.

sekrah
07-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Call here.. Let him fire again and raise the turn.

07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Push?
If you call he will know that someting is amis. I bet you dont get much more out of him.
If you push and he has nothing then its the same as calling. If you push and he has something he might call. His bet shows weakness, you saw the weakness and went way over the top, he thinks you dont want a call. He might take it with a reasonable hand.

Dave D
07-29-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3rd level of a Stars $11 MTT. No reads on villain in this hand. Folded to him in CO (2340 in chips) and he limps for 50. SB completes and I check my BB (1740 in chips left) with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BOOM!

Check, check, CO bets 200 into 125 pot. SB folds. Hero...

The options I considered were to call and see if he'll fire a larger bet on turn (especially if an undercard hits). However, my flat call of a very large bet can be viewed as a sign of big strength.

I considered min-raising or raising to 500 since he may be too stubborn to fold top pair and this move may be interpreted as less strength than just calling. And then checking the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Min raising is the biggest tell in the world that you have a good hand.

I'd call and let him fire on the turn, there's really no draws out there so I don't think you're too worried about getting drawn out on.

sekrah
07-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Putting way way too much thought into a Stars $11.

Numerous people here would call with a numerous number of hands.. could have 4-5, 5-8, J-8, middle pair, bottom pair.

Let someone else bet the nuts for you, don't drive them out of the pot.

locutus2002
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I'd reraise to T550.

If he has Top Pair there are alot of cards that will kill the action on the turn. I'd reraise here and lead the turn.

07-29-2005, 12:08 PM
In my experience someone who is willing to overbet like that either has nothing or a strong but vulnerable hand like 2 pair. I like a push and expect 2 pair to call.

reecelights
07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
My instinct before reading the other responses was push, only because a call sets off alarms and I think you might thereafter only get a small bet out of him if checked to the river. Someone else has since voiced this opinion and I concur. I would wait a while before acting, maybe til the 15 second warning hits.

He's obviously scared of something and if any scarier cards come, you won't get any more out of him. I think now is the only chance to make it a huge pot. If he doesn't have you covered he most likely doesn't call, but with only a 50BB, I think he may interpret this as a steal or that you are even more afraid of further action. It's only Level 3...more likely that you get called here, and makes it easier to run a huge bluff later after people have seen you push the nuts.