PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU USE your pt stats?

POKhER
07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
is it just a confirmation of your reads?
Is it your only reads when multitabling?
How many hands on a guy do you want before taking the stats as "usable"?

I ask because i think its costing me money, I've lost alot since using Pt (around $20 at .25/.50 so 40BB) and i feel its my poor use of PT stats.

Anyone have any tips for using PT/PokerAce?

Can you also confirm my reads on these opponants:

-------------------------------

VPIP: 32%
PFR: 19
AF: 1.9
hands: 2000
Would i be right to say this player is a tight(slightly looser) aggresive aggressive? TAG?

if this guy above raises, I only play premium hands? dont cold call anything crap, and reraise with it.

-----------------------------

VPIP: 58
pfr: 0.5
AF: 0.5
hands:480
This guy is a major Loose Passive?

If this guy becomes aggreive post flop, he must have a major hand as hes normally so passive? Or do you interpret it as a bluff?

Should i bet into him? Won't he just call me down and prob win with passively played good hand?

VPIP: 14.7
PFR:4.53
AF:1.13
Hands:2000

This guy is a TAG? Tight aggressive and maybe passive post flop? or still a TAG?

What do you do with this guy?

--------------------------------

Just wondering how i use these stats really to gauge there play and how i should play back at them.

Post your opinions on these stats of these players and tell me how you would play them/what to be carefull of.

Thanks,
POKhER

Piper Tim
07-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I use PT and I wouldn't say it has hurt me. I am very careful with data and use it as an indicator of likelihoods (does that make sense?).

My VP$IP is 19.42, PFR is 6.61, AF 2.51 which come after about 1600 hands at .50/1. Although I have more hands in the database, I have limited it to this level because that is where I play consistently. Theoretically, I think these numbers are where they should be and I use them to help keep tabs on my own play.

[ QUOTE ]
is it just a confirmation of your reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I use it to confirm reads. I also make notes of players that I will search for. I also use it to compare the statistics with the hands that I played against them. Putting the numbers into a context is critical for interpreting them. I have notes on several players about how I see them play, but don't have PT stats on yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it your only reads when multitabling?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't multitable. But, I would hope not.

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands on a guy do you want before taking the stats as "usable"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that the number of hands I use should be higher, but I begin at 50 hands. But, I always place these numbers into some sort of a context. For example, occassionally I will be really hot and get lots of good cards. The numbers make it look like I am loose aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any tips for using PT/PokerAce?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carefully. I have only started exploring all of the information it can provide. I am sure that I have learned more about how I play but using PT than I would if I worked off of memory alone. The replay function is fantastic. I usually review specific hands, or even entire sessions to see how I played. I probably use 85% of the functions to evaluate my own play at this time and the other 15% to help keep track of other players. The position stats page is interesting.

Remember though that these numbers need to have some sort of connection to your playing. I argue with my administrators about student test scores all the time because of this lack of understanding. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

"There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics." ~Benjamin Disraeli

Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions. ~Evan Esar

Hope this was some help.

Tim

POKhER
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Cheers, Cleared up some questions.
Anyone else want to add to this thread? I think a FAQ for PT would be great (here) interms of what stats we aim for, Our opponants should have etc.

What player types do you all give the above values in original post(VPIP/PFR/AF)

aargh57
07-30-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can you also confirm my reads on these opponants:

VPIP: 32%
PFR: 19
AF: 1.9
hands: 2000
Would i be right to say this player is a tight(slightly looser) aggresive aggressive? TAG?

if this guy above raises, I only play premium hands? dont cold call anything crap, and reraise with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy actually raises quite a few hands so I don't see why you would be more cautious than normal against him (you shouldn't cold call with crap anyway). He actually looks like a LAA to me (although not terribly loose preflop.) Although you're right about wanting to reraise him to isolate him. Good player to have on your right.
[ QUOTE ]

VPIP: 58
pfr: 0.5
AF: 0.5
hands:480
This guy is a major Loose Passive?

If this guy becomes aggreive post flop, he must have a major hand as hes normally so passive? Or do you interpret it as a bluff?

Should i bet into him? Won't he just call me down and prob win with passively played good hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree he's a LPP. He's a good fish, just the kind that you want. Bet for value on him but you probably shouldn't bluff him too much. If he becomes aggressive, he probably does have a hand.

[ QUOTE ]

VPIP: 14.7
PFR:4.53
AF:1.13
Hands:2000

This guy is a TAG? Tight aggressive and maybe passive post flop? or still a TAG?

What do you do with this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he's a TPP (weak-tight). He really doesn't raise enough Preflop. He'll probably be capable of laying down a hand so you may be able to bluff in certain situations. I would want this guy on my left as he is less likely to raise (you may also be able to steal some blinds from him). You won't win as much from this guy as the fish though.

Also, here is a link that I used to set up my icons using PT:http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=923884&fp art=&PHPSESSID=

It's a good link that also talks about note taking.
Also, Check out the pokertracker website. They have beginners guides that should help you get more out of the program.

BTW, I am by no means a PT expert and if my analysis of the 3 tpes is flawed I will eat my humble pie and call it a day.