PDA

View Full Version : QQ UG with 13 BB

therock
07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
PS $15, UG with QQ and T1300 chips. 7 opponents all with around T1600 chips, no reads. This hand always drives me crazy. What's your play?

Superfluous Man
07-29-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS $15, UG with QQ and T1300 chips. 7 opponents all with around T1600 chips, no reads. This hand always drives me crazy. What's your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I just raise it 3x BB, hope I get some action (I probably will, because it's a $15), and reevaluate when the flop comes.

therock
07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Looks like most agree with the 2UPFR. If you get one caller, there is going to be T650-T750 chips in the pot and you will have T1000. Are you pretty much pot committed to a flop with one ace or one king?

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like most agree with the 2UPFR. If you get one caller, there is going to be T650-T750 chips in the pot and you will have T1000. Are you pretty much pot committed to a flop with one ace or one king?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise to 250 here. And yes, I think you have to push any flop with one overcard if it is checked to you (assuming it is one of the blinds that is the caller), and if you are first to act, I think you've gotta push.

I think you can fold if you are called by a blind who pushes when an overcard flops.

An alternative way to play it (I don't think its the right way, I just am trying to add something to the discussion) would be to, after an overcard flops, make a "value" bet on the flop of something like T250 and hope it looks conspicuous enough to induce a fold. If you are reraised, you can fold and you'll still have about 7xBB after posting the BB.

Pretty weak though, I think. I just think it may be better than blindly pushing into someone with an easy call, or, worse, checking to them so they can bet you off what may be the best hand.

therock
07-29-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would raise to 250 here. And yes, I think you have to push any flop with one overcard if it is checked to you (assuming it is one of the blinds that is the caller), and if you are first to act, I think you've gotta push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem pot commiting with one over. I would check-raise or just make a value bet if one of the blinds calls pre-flop and checks the flop. I don't think pushing a flop with and A or K will accomplish anything except getting called by a better hand. This is a new line for me because I always push this pre-flop. At the $15 tables, I usually pick up the blinds and get called by 88-JJ or AQ enough to make it a decent play, but probably not the best play.

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I guess the idea of pushing a flop with one over is you may be able to push them off the better hand (if, for instance, they called with something like A8 and doubt their kicker). The chances of this are somewhat slim, but at least worth considering.

And the problem with a value bet if its checked to you (assuming, again, one caller in the blinds), is having to fold if you are C/R'd. So you're basically just out another T250-400 (whatever your value bet is).

I don't know. I make a mess of these hands once an overcard flops. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I just find it useful to post my thoughts in these threads so someone can point out to me if/when I'm wrong /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

therock
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input. I do think pushing a one over flop is really bad. If someone call this raise pre-flop with A-x and hits an A on the flop, there is no way they are folding when they hit their flop.

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Are you just check/folding any flop with an A or a K?

therock
07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would pot commit myslef vs. one opponent and one over. If first to act, I would check/call and lead the turn. If I have position and the opponent checks, I would bet $200. Either way, my chips are going in the pot. I just want to try and get some chips from a worse hand.

mscott2374
07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the idea of pushing a flop with one over is you may be able to push them off the better hand (if, for instance, they called with something like A8 and doubt their kicker). The chances of this are somewhat slim, but at least worth considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if someone is willing to call preflop with A8 then all his chips are going in when the Ace hits

mscott2374
07-29-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would pot commit myslef vs. one opponent and one over. If first to act, I would check/call and lead the turn. If I have position and the opponent checks, I would bet $200. Either way, my chips are going in the pot. I just want to try and get some chips from a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if someone is willing to call preflop with A8 then all his chips are going in when the Ace hits

[/ QUOTE ]

you're likely right.

i like therocks line. i shall consider this a leak plugged, at least somewhat. assuming i remember to play this way in the future.

morgan180
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
what are the blinds at??

my thoughts - raise PF 2.5/3 x bb - evaluate on the flop - if there is one opponent and one over you can either:

- lead out with a 1/3 - 1/2 size pot and fold to any serious action

- check and see what develops

I think that anyone who hits an A or K here is going to the felt - you're not going to move them off a hand like A7 or KJ.

therock
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what are the blinds at??

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, the big blind is T100. That would have been helpful.

Ogre
07-29-2005, 01:14 PM
2 unit raise = 3x?
I triple it here