PDA

View Full Version : Results wanted from people: How long you been playing etc.

PokerAmateur4
07-29-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm trying to gauge if poker is worth concentrated pursuit and focus, perhaps 1 tabling. Might be interesting, so if you want to participate thanks! Please post:

Brief answers are cool

1. How long have you been playing poker somewhat seriously at all. Estimate how many hours it took you to get to your current level.

2. What are your results like from a monthly income point of view.

If you want to change how you articulate this that's fine, I haven't slept in a while so my skills organzation words of good, not so much.

PokerAmateur4
07-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Guess, studying and playing poker maybe 800 hours.

If I play this month for 50 hours, maybe I make $200?(Guessed EV per hour) Includes bonuses.

I play tournies 1 table and MT, limit and NL cash games, mostly limit when cash games.

AbelM
07-29-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to gauge if poker is worth concentrated pursuit and focus, perhaps 1 tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definately is, but the most important thing is that you like the game and enjoy playing it. So just deposit some and give it a try.

I don't think asking people how much they earn will really help you get a good idea if it might be worth your effort. Basically the sky's the limit, but you really have to put in some effort and overcome a lot of obstacles. A lot of my friends also want to play poker when they hear how much some people make playing it, but certainly they all failed. It's by no means easy money. It might be for some of us, but apparantly by far the most players are losers. I guess it's true what they say, it's a hard way to make an easy living. It would be stupid to waste so much time on something if you're just in it for the money and don't enjoy the game, but well that's just my opinion of course /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lacky
07-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Ok, i guess im bored enought to do this (you can thank insomnia).

Ive been playing as a living for almost 2 years, as my only job for a little over 1.5 years, and as my families only source of income for 2 weeks ( my wife is not going back to work after her maturnaty leave)

I play limit up to 30/60, i play sng's at the 55 and 109 level, I play mtt's, mostly only $100+ buyin, but occationally a $55 if it's starting at the right time. I play nl ring up to about the $600 buy in range. I have played some omaha h/l limit. I generally play from 6 to 10 tables in limit, 6 to 8 in sng's, 3 to 5 in nl and mtt's. I am ahead in all these games.

As far as income, my hourly ave for my entire time as a full time pro is $60/hour. My ave this year $77/hour, which works out to about $10k/month.

Yes, if you get good at it and can play a few tables, you can make enough at poker to make the work required to get there worthwhile.

Steve

Mr_J
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Playing since jan, was a 'pro' from the day I started (in terms of it being my profession).

Was playing mostly $55s at first and then dropped to the $33s when I got coaching (about a week or 2 after I started playing). Got disillusioned at the $33s (thanks to 450 breakeven) and tried the $22s. Have killed them since, although for a few months I hardly played (until July). Spent all my profits so only recently jumped back up to the $55s.

Income/month, now I've got my $hit together around ~10k a month. I'd like to improve enough to hit 10% at the $109s so I can work 3hrs or less a day.