PDA

View Full Version : minraise preflop

runout_mick
07-29-2005, 06:47 AM
I just was thinking about my prelop raises, and realized I have not minraised once in the past six months or so. Can anyone find a use for preflop minraises? I know some people minraise in ep with monsters, but to me this just looks suspicious. When I raise it's 3-4x bb, modified upwards to account for limpers and calling standards. Am I missing something? Should I be minraising in some situations like mid pp in mid position to jack the pot if my trips hit?

I'd love to hear some general and specific instances where minraising could be the best play.

Thanks

runout_mick
07-29-2005, 06:50 AM
One use I just thought of would be to minraise lots in the first few orbits at a table full of strangers to set up a "bad player" image.

sekrah
07-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Actually, I like to min-raise on the button with a speculative hand like 6-7 suited if there's been 3 or 4 limpers in front of me.

Makes the blinds pay to play and builds a nice huge pot when the monster hits, and I got position on them.

They usually try to check-raise to me, thinking I'll bet the flop.. so if you catch a draw on the flop, you can usually get a free card on the turn with it.

07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I like this suited connector miniraise strategy as well, heres a great situation though...
U have AA UTG, and triple the blind as a raise. You get 6-7 callers, and now the pot is massive preflopo. In this scenario, if your tabels aggressive, youll almost always get one dumb player willing to push to try to pick up the massive blinds. Usually KJ for some reason! Obvious call, Ive done it about 9 times and only missed the all in once. Meaning 1 time outta 10, there was no player trying to steal out. The key here is to pick the right table, time, and raise increment. Your obviously taking a huge risk on making nearly no profit from your aces but if the situations right, go for it...Doubling up early pays off later!
cdl