PDA

View Full Version : Tough spot with QQ on turn...pot too big and I dont know where I am

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 06:11 AM
SB has been conspicuously bad at calling down with 2nd best hands. BB is new/unknown.

Watch the BB's play all the way. What's my line on the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($393)
Button ($97.95)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($293.39)</font>
BB ($329.18)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($196.05)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $13</font>, BB calls $12, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($42) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, SB calls $40, BB calls $40.

Turn: ($162) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero....

Also note that while I've been sitting for a bit at this table this is the first hand I've really played.

All comments welcome. Thanks,

The Doc

alphatmw
07-29-2005, 06:20 AM
i think SB has AK. but when it keeps getting checked to me i can't help but bet, so if SB is trapping, he'd probably get me.

AA or KK would not be playing a coordinated flop so passively.

jkkkk
07-29-2005, 06:34 AM
The only thing your beating here is a straight draw, or possibly top pair!?

You can't bet without committing yourself, I think taking a free card is probably best, theres a strong possibility that one of them is going for a check-push.

fimbulwinter
07-29-2005, 06:40 AM
check through the turn. decide the river based on the card.

benefits of betting this turn are far outweighed by calling all in drawing dead to a flush.

fim

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 08:21 AM
There isn't really very much 'calling all-in' since if he bets the turn he will have to push, I believe. In any case, because of this situation, I prefer just to check the flop. I would have expected to get check/raised on that flop about 80% of the time. Yuck.

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There isn't really very much 'calling all-in' since if he bets the turn he will have to push, I believe. In any case, because of this situation, I prefer just to check the flop. I would have expected to get check/raised on that flop about 80% of the time. Yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely can't check the flop. I'm ahead too often and there are too many cards I don't want to see on the turn. Also note that if I do get c/r'ed on the flop, I don't mind getting it all in.

The Doc

theben
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
i think caution wins...knock the table

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Which cards, other than the 5c, do you not want to see on the turn?

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I decide to take the free card and check behind.

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets $60, BB folds (!!), I call.

SB shows T /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Chop chop. Did not see that one coming.

The Doc

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Wow, I really don't get this hand. On the turn, there are TONS of cards you REALLY don't want to see. How can you check? I definitely push once I get here.

Delphin
07-29-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I decide to take the free card and check behind.

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets $60, BB folds (!!), I call.

SB shows T /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Chop chop. Did not see that one coming.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely put one of them on a Q, and when the K comes off you have to be more than a little concerned about AQ.

But calling the $60 is a no brainer. Would you have called a push?

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which cards, other than the 5c, do you not want to see on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the full pot on the flop. This is actually rare for me, as my usual bet is about 75-85% of the pot regardless of if I have a monster or am just continuation betting. I got called in 2 spots after some fairly aggressive preflop action.

Preflop, for the SB to reraise the FIRST hand I played at the table, I put him on a big pair and possibly AK with about a 20% chance for something like 66 and below (I've seen players do this to try and win a huge pot when they hit). For the BB to cold-call instantly told me something like 99-JJ and maybe AK.

On the flop I'm most worried about the BB but the reraise-check line from the SB is just so freaking suspicious that I need to bet and see what's going on. Called in two spots and I instantly start to think about a flush draw (Ac Kc?) and the BB's call-call line is getting even more suspicious.

Thus I potentially don't want to see a club on the turn, a board-pairing card, or even a Q. Thats like 18 cards or something.

I checked the turn because I thought it was reasonably likely that I was either dead to a flush or way behind a set (that was also scared by the club and decided to let another card go by to try and fill). The river makes me a 5 card hand which gives me showdown value, and I called a less-than-half pot bet from the SB (the BB dropped...can't be sure what he had).

The Doc

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm getting better than 2:1 on a push so probably, although I think I'd be happier calling a push from the SB than the BB.

The Doc

Stormwolf
07-29-2005, 01:54 PM
This is a terrible flop for your hand, you should have checked

amoeba
07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
with the OESD, its not that bad.

but I would have checked as well.

there aren't that many hands that would reraise that you are ahead of right now.

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%.

Let's (conservatively) estimate the SB's re-raising standards are AA, KK, QQ, Aks and Ako.

According to pokerstove,

Board: Jc 9s Tc
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 58.0982 % 56.33% 01.77% { QdQs }
Hand 2: 41.9018 % 40.14% 01.77% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

How is this a bad flop for me?

I also think I need to bet to see what exactly the BB has and to try and make the pot heads up. In addition, if I wind up taking it down as little as 5% of the time I'm a very happy man.

The Doc

amoeba
07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
you put AK in his range but not JJ?

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%.

Let's (conservatively) estimate the SB's re-raising standards are AA, KK, QQ, Aks and Ako.

According to pokerstove,

Dead:

Hand 1: 58.0982 % 56.33% 01.77% { QdQs }
Hand 2: 41.9018 % 40.14% 01.77% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

How is this a bad flop for me?

I also think I need to bet to see what exactly the BB has and to try and make the pot heads up. In addition, if I wind up taking it down as little as 5% of the time I'm a very happy man.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Further equity calculations...

If I put the BB on any pair JJ and below and also AKs and AKo, my equity is

Dead:

Hand 1: 46.7518 % 45.30% 01.45% { QdQs }
Hand 2: 35.8578 % 33.90% 01.96% { JJ+, AKs, AKo }
Hand 3: 17.3903 % 16.79% 00.60% { JJ-22, AKs, AKo }

I definitely need to bet the flop, especially to see exactly where the BB stands in all of this.

The Doc

DrPublo
07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you put AK in his range but not JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see players reraise out of position with JJ more often or AK?

If you do add JJ to the range it only affects the numbers by about 1% (notice that the 2nd equity calculation includes JJ for the SB).

The Doc

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
This pot is three way.

Stormwolf
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
The problem with the bet is that your laying 1-1 that you wont be raised(since you will have to laydown, unless you plan to draw to a one carded straight that wont be paid off and might get you broke/tied), you may be against a shy AA/KK in which case you dont want to bet since your drawing, you might drawing dead to set or straight, or behind a two pair. Most of the time you are drawing and want the free card, and you get the added benefit of seeing the turn action before you put any money

FreakDaddy
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I think a check is better than a push on this board. All things considered, the only things you're beating are straight draws at this point. You could very likely be against another over pair, trips, or AKs.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Without having read any of the other responses, I would think that Likely I am behind at this point, but I might consider a mini bet - w/ the intent to go over the top to SB agression unless BB shows strength. With your read on SB, I am more concerned that BB has Ax(club), likely at least AJ + Flush Draw(if he represents strength), I think it's safe to fold. IMO a push here would only get called if you were beat.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 03:22 PM
The more I think about the absolute last I want is to give a give a free card here. If I'm not already behind, I'm just as likely to hit my card and still not take down the pot. I want some kind of read on the SB vs. BB reaction to a mini-bet.

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
min bet = teh suck.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Could u elaborate?

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
yes

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Allrighty then, my apologies for insulting your poker intelligence with my naive question and/or my analysis. I can understand how that line might be considered weak, but you don't have to be a smart-azz about it. If it's below you to address the question, then don't respond at all. I'm not in the mood to be flamed today just for your amusement...

amoeba
07-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll go in to it.

the problem with a mini bet is that if raised, we have no idea whether villain is just picking up on weakness or if villain really has a hand.

the miniraise forces us to fold if raised if they are aggressive and if they are passive, they fold hands we beat but calls with hands that beat us.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I would have to agree w/ you, but I guess what I was thinking back to the times that I have seen someone min bet after 2 check(it would make me think 2x about the possiblity that it was a trap bet) but even then they could just call and I still wouldn't know where I was. Or like you said, all of the sudden the you're making a decision for your entire stack w/o any more info than you started with. Just needed to think it thru better. What would you do?

amoeba
07-29-2005, 04:09 PM
the only time that minibet would work is if you are playing with somebody sophisticated that knows you would underbet with a monster here.

in other words you pull a post oak bluff.

in this case, I think I check the flop.

I don't think betting it really tells me anything and all it does is fold out AK.

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just needed to think it thru better.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was my point. You should be able to figure out why min-betting here is very bad.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah guess I had a case of FPS there. But, at least I recognize it as such now. I guess it's just a natural by-product of trying to apply one's newly acquired knowledge or increased level of awareness / or reasoning in a real world way and learning you didn't have quite the grasp on a concept as you thought you did. Thanks for the patience.

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was my point. You should be able to figure out why min-betting here is very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken /images/graemlins/blush.gif