PDA

View Full Version : Footage of Historic Events

theBruiser500
07-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Where can I see actual footage or pictures of famous things, like protests of the war in Vietnam, WWII, a famous speech, etc.? Any special place to go for this?

theBruiser500
07-29-2005, 04:22 AM
Documentary movies look like a good way. Looking at the academy award winning documentaries about 50% of them are about the holocaust. http://www.netflix.com/AwardPage?awardId=64 also netflix doesn't have a lot of them available for whatever reason (maybe no one cares about documenteries enough to to turn the VHS into DVDs? maybe since they are documenteries the old ones are dated and not worth seeing??)

mackthefork
07-29-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Documentary movies look like a good way. Looking at the academy award winning documentaries about 50% of them are about the holocaust. http://www.netflix.com/AwardPage?awardId=64 also netflix doesn't have a lot of them available for whatever reason (maybe no one cares about documenteries enough to to turn the VHS into DVDs? maybe since they are documenteries the old ones are dated and not worth seeing??)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately the market dictates, so a lot of interesting stuff that no one cares about is lost. Most that hit VHS or DVD are about some popular or emotive subject matter.

Mack

theBruiser500
07-29-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm looking over some documentary movies on amazon now, take this list for example

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/14Z4665I6GLNH/qid=1122626535/sr=lmlf-5/ref=br_lmlf__5/002-0254366-9295213

it's amazing how highly ranked these documenteries are. 140 reviews, a full 5 stars, that's really impressive. the people who watch documenteries really seem to like them. and it does sound really interesting,

" Director Claude Lanzmann spent 11 years tracking people down, cajoling them to talk, asking them questions they didn't want to face. When soldiers refuse to appear on film, Lanzmann sneaks cameras in. When people are on the verge of breaking down and can't answer any more questions, Lanzmann asks anyway. He gives names to the victims--driving through a town that was predominantly Jewish before Hitler's time, a local points out which Jews owned what. Lanzmann travels the world, speaking to workers in Poland, survivors in Israel, officers in Germany. He is not a detached interviewer; his probings are deeply personal. One man farmed the land upon which Treblinka was built. "Didn't the screams bother you?" Lanzmann asks. When the farmer seems to brush the issues aside with a smile, Lanzmann's fury is noticeable. "Didn't all this bother you?" he demands angrily, only to be told, "When my neighbor cuts his thumb, I don't feel hurt." "

07-29-2005, 06:46 AM
the history channel, and discovery times/ discovery international both have some quality made for t.v. documentaries. there's a show about war correspondants that has some mean footage. In general though, those stations have good stuff. not related to protests, but "the fog of war" is a revealing film about 'nam.

partygirluk
07-29-2005, 08:24 AM
One Day In September is an excellent documentary. Also check out the docu-interview with the man who was secretary of defence at the start of the Vietnam war - his and the film's title eludes me.

Use imdb.com for finding out how good a film is - much better than amazon for this purpose.

theBruiser500
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
i will check out imdb for reviewing movies but honestly i am skeptical that it is better than amazon. amazon work well, there are a lot of people that take time to write good reviews for whatever reason, and there is a ton of feedback, dozes of reviews often for each movie book whatever