PDA

View Full Version : What Does Military Spending Go To Exactly?

theBruiser500
07-29-2005, 04:11 AM
It looks like the US spent $420 billion on defense, not including a lot of other stuff, some supplmental war thing and then I hear defense spending is snuck into NASA and no doubt other stuff. What is this money spent on exactly? Like how much is wages for the people who work, how much is for treatment of people injured in war, how much is for airplanes, boats, gasoline, buildings to do research in... anybody have a general idea of where the money goes specifcally?

07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
i just read a washinton post articel about this. i think it's online. if i remember correctly, a little over 100 billion went to personel spending, salries etc.... about 80 billion went to purchasing new weapons systems. i don't know about the other 200+ bil. but upkeep etc. must be pretty pricey. i remember hearing each tomahawk missle cost $1,000,000. that adds up. i think this article pertained to the budget plan for '06.

FishHooks
07-29-2005, 09:27 AM
If I'm not mistken the Justice system is also under the department of defence, but not 100% sure on that. If it is then there is a lot of spending right there.

Also all of these terrorism alerts cots tons of money, when we elvate our alert that alone costs tens of millions pre day.

BCPVP
07-29-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/defbudget/fy2006/#

BonJoviJones
07-29-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistken the Justice system is also under the department of defence, but not 100% sure on that. If it is then there is a lot of spending right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DoJ is quite distinct from the DoD.

FishHooks
07-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Thats what I thought, but I thought I read something that said they share a lot of resources and things like that I dunno that why I said I wasn't sure on this.