PDA

View Full Version : Big steve, stay out of Nigeria!!!!! -so wrong

wacki
07-29-2005, 03:27 AM
"Nigerian man sentenced to stoning for gay sex

A United Nations human rights expert has raised the alarm over the case of a man in northern Nigeria who has been sentenced to death by stoning after admitting to homosexual sex.

The UN special rapporteur on arbitrary executions, Philip Alston, has called for an immediate review of the entire process that led the man's death sentence under Islamic Sharia law.

Mr Alston says the man, who is about 50-years-old, had been accused of having sex with a much younger man.

He was acquitted of that charge.

But after the judge asked him if he had previously had homosexual sex, the man said yes.

The judge then sentenced him to be stoned to death.

Ten Nigerian women have been sentenced to death by stoning for having sex outside of wedlock since Sharia was brought in; all created outcries and were overturned on appeal.

-Reuters"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1410598.htm

It's so wrong it's funny.

Zygote
07-29-2005, 03:36 AM
These types of things are big problems in several islamic countries. I'm pretty sure you can legally stone your wife to death if she cheats on you in Iran, for example. Honor killings also exist throughout arabic and african countries. Not to rag on you, but i don't see this as a so wrong its funny kind of thing. Thats just me, though.

Blarg
07-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Not particularly funny.

It's pretty sad that this crap is happening. And it's spreading. I just read that some huge figure, like 40%, of Muslims even in Britain want Sharia in that country. And it's the fastest growing religion in the world.

At the same time religious fanatics are getting more power every year in this country too, and are constantly trying to inject religion into the law in our own country. And Bush's talk of a "crusade" was no accident.

Not a lot of funny to go around.

wacki
07-29-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not particularly funny.

It's pretty sad that this crap is happening. And it's spreading. I just read that some huge figure, like 40%, of Muslims even in Britain want Sharia in that country. And it's the fastest growing religion in the world.

At the same time religious fanatics are getting more power every year in this country too, and are constantly trying to inject religion into the law in our own country. And Bush's talk of a "crusade" was no accident.

Not a lot of funny to go around.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that scares me. I didn't know that about britains muslims. The part I found funny ( or odd at least) was admitting to having gay sex immediately after being aquitted for stat. rape. I mean the guy had to of known what the laws were.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Bush's crusade comment.

ChipWrecked
07-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Must be some potent weed.

wacki
07-29-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More like I'm getting 4 hours a sleep a day max right now.

I totally agree with you guys that this stuff is scary. The fact that it's spreading is even scarier. I guess I just find it odd that nobody here thinks admitting to having gay sex in that Sharia court room (especially after that trial) was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Jeff W
07-29-2005, 04:34 AM
What's really scary is the large amount of oil we(U.S.) import from this unstable nation.

BZ_Zorro
07-29-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

But after the judge asked him if he had previously had homosexual sex, the man said yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this fit the criteria for a Darwin Award?

wacki
07-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Finally!!! Somebody gets it!

http://www.darwinawards.com/

"honoring those who accidentally kill themselves in really stupid ways."

Although I doubt giving this guy a Darwin Award is PC, it's difficult for me to argue against those that say he deserves one.

jokerthief
07-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Islam is a peaceful religion. Islam is a peaceful religion. Islam is a peaceful religion. Doublethink=goodthink.

Talk2BigSteve
07-29-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Nigerian man sentenced to stoning for gay sex

A United Nations human rights expert has raised the alarm over the case of a man in northern Nigeria who has been sentenced to death by stoning after admitting to homosexual sex.

The UN special rapporteur on arbitrary executions, Philip Alston, has called for an immediate review of the entire process that led the man's death sentence under Islamic Sharia law.

Mr Alston says the man, who is about 50-years-old, had been accused of having sex with a much younger man.

Ten Nigerian women have been sentenced to death by stoning for having sex outside of wedlock since Sharia was brought in; all created outcries and were overturned on appeal.

-Reuters"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1410598.htm

It's so wrong it's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I am not 50, I will be 31 Tuesday.

And my question is how big are the stones? Small ones would be much more fun for the people throwing.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Zurvan
07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big movement towards this in Canada too. Some Muslim clerics are pushing for it, and they have the support of the Globe & Mail - our biggest national newspaper. Somehow, they're equating it to allowing Jewish people to solve certain disputes using their religious code through a rabbi as an arbitrator. There's some difference there, but I can see how some people might have trouble seeing it. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

HopeydaFish
07-29-2005, 10:17 AM
The difference in Canada and Britain is that these courts won't be sentencing people to be stoned to death, or having their hands cut off, etc... Plus they'll only be dealing with small crimes, not murder, rape, etc... The laws that they'll be enforcing are all Canadian laws -- so you won't have women being tried for adultery, or men for homosexuality. It's all part of the Canadian government trying to be sensitive to the needs of different ethnic groups. The same type of thing currently exists for First Nations peoples.

The reasoning behind these courts in countries like Britain and Canada is so that ethnic groups can be tried by their peers, as opposed to (mostly) white judges and juries. There is also more of a stigma attached when you are punished by your own community, as opposed to a judge and jury who quite possibly have never associated with anyone of your nationality or religion before.

For PR reasons, they should really consider not calling it "Sharia law" in Canada, though...it has horribly negative connotations thanks to Sharia courts in Nigeria and Iran.

mackthefork
07-29-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These types of things are big problems in several islamic countries. I'm pretty sure you can legally stone your wife to death if she cheats on you in Iran, for example. Honor killings also exist throughout arabic and african countries. Not to rag on you, but i don't see this as a so wrong its funny kind of thing. Thats just me, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple of dozen honour killings in the UK every year. A lot of these women don't work, so no one even notices they are gone most of the time.

Mack

Blarg
07-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Such a sad thing. Changing religions is grounds for murder, as I understand it, in the Muslim faith. If I'm incorrect, that's fine, and someone can say so. I know that the Saudi government has executed people for it, and historically, it was done in many middle eastern countries.

If you're a woman born into these cultures, you don't even have a chance to be free or make any real choices in your life without facing murder. To be an individual is to commit suicide. And these are the kind of ideas that are growing MORE, not less, popular.

And by the way, welcome back bigsteve.

Reef
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I thought you quit OOT steve..

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Fanatical religion: The cause of and solution to.... no, wait, just the cause of all the world's problems.

Blarg
07-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey, Homer Simpson is a drunkard, not a priest!

JaBlue
07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
"It's so wrong it's funny"

What's wrong? Is it the butt sex or the stoning?

hoopsie44
07-29-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"It's so wrong it's funny"

What's wrong? Is it the butt sex or the stoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel another farewell post on the way.

KaneKungFu123
07-29-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The difference in Canada and Britain is that these courts won't be sentencing people to be stoned to death, or having their hands cut off, etc... Plus they'll only be dealing with small crimes, not murder, rape, etc... The laws that they'll be enforcing are all Canadian laws -- so you won't have women being tried for adultery, or men for homosexuality. It's all part of the Canadian government trying to be sensitive to the needs of different ethnic groups. The same type of thing currently exists for First Nations peoples.

The reasoning behind these courts in countries like Britain and Canada is so that ethnic groups can be tried by their peers, as opposed to (mostly) white judges and juries. There is also more of a stigma attached when you are punished by your own community, as opposed to a judge and jury who quite possibly have never associated with anyone of your nationality or religion before.

For PR reasons, they should really consider not calling it "Sharia law" in Canada, though...it has horribly negative connotations thanks to Sharia courts in Nigeria and Iran.

[/ QUOTE ]

seperation of church and state. who cares what god you worship. i sure as hell dont. [censored] sharia.

mike l.
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
"It's pretty sad that this crap is happening. And it's spreading. I just read that some huge figure, like 40%, of Muslims even in Britain want Sharia in that country."

ive been saying for a couple years now we just need a good old fashioned un sanctioned holocaust to kill all the millions of crazy muslims types.

everyone just looks at me and smiles and says "it's so wrong, it's funny."

LoaferGee12
07-29-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you guys that this stuff is scary. The fact that it's spreading is even scarier. I guess I just find it odd that nobody here thinks admitting to having gay sex in that Sharia court room (especially after that trial) was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was making a pun on the "stoned to death" thing.

07-29-2005, 11:22 PM
What I don't understand is how some people continue to justify Sharia Law as honorable.

It also puts a new light on proposals to limit Muslim immigrants, in light of what is happening in places like the Netherlands.

fsuplayer
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was making a pun on the "stoned to death" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao.

i missed it too wacki.

DarkForceRising
07-30-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fanatical religion: The cause of and solution to.... no, wait, just the cause of all the world's problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the punchline to the whole joke is the people so obsessed with defending the rights of Muslims are the most outspoken defenders of gay rights, abortion etc...

Doesn't quite add up.

Jazza
07-30-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the punchline to the whole joke is the people so obsessed with defending the rights of Muslims are the most outspoken defenders of gay rights, abortion etc...

Doesn't quite add up.

[/ QUOTE ]

it can

not all muslims are fanatics

Blarg
07-30-2005, 04:27 AM
There are inherently fanatical things in their religion, though. So the best you could say is that if they're not all fanatics, then they're all schizophrenics.

For instance, finding it perfectly justifiable and in some cases a religious duty to kill people for doing things like leaving the religion, or saying anything that could possibly be remotely critical of Mohammed, or portraying him in a play or movie or any acted performance, or depicting his image in any other way, or "dishonoring" the Koran in any of a myriad of ways including just touching it or even standing over it when it's on a table, etc. Or stepping on whatever land Muslims have decided to claim is holy and belonging to Muslims, etc. -- Mosques and Mecca for starters, but of course the crazies like Bin Laden are trying to extend that to whole geographic areas, and just for starters.

It's a religion that takes murder as religiously justifiable as a base tenet, not an unheard of exception. Forget all the other weird stuff -- you lose the ability to be called a peaceful religion when your answer to so many things, especially such incredibly meaningless ones or matters of private conscience, is murder.

07-30-2005, 04:30 AM
And it will get worse because the Muslims moving into countries like the Netherlands breed... like rabbits, for lack of a better simile. They will eventually become the majority in countries like that and they will institute Sharia law, which would be awful. Politicians need to stand against the influx of these people and say no, we will not let them turn our country into a craphole. What is the alternative? Look at what is happening in the Netherlands and in France and Russia.

The religion is the problem. The sexism, homophobia, and outright racism spouted by the Islamic leaders is unacceptable.

Talk2BigSteve
07-30-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you quit OOT steve..

[/ QUOTE ]

My Quitting OOT is like George Bush saying "Mission Accomplished"

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jdanz
07-30-2005, 04:51 AM
that's dumb.

there are just as fanatical elements in judism and christianity, but since you can't tell who is a jew or a christian by looking at them (not that people can with muslims, they just assume they can) it's harder to associate wacked out fanatism with less zelous believers.

It's really ridiculous that because muslims are in some way physically identifiable that such outliers can be seen as typifying an entire religion (of oh say a billion people)

edit: man it pisses me off that people are so myopic

07-30-2005, 04:56 AM
When have fundamentalist Jews or Christians ever conducted terrorism on the scale that fundamentalist Muslims do?

Jazza
07-30-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are inherently fanatical things in their religion, though. So the best you could say is that if they're not all fanatics, then they're all schizophrenics.

For instance, finding it perfectly justifiable and in some cases a religious duty to kill people for doing things like leaving the religion, or saying anything that could possibly be remotely critical of Mohammed, or portraying him in a play or movie or any acted performance, or depicting his image in any other way, or "dishonoring" the Koran in any of a myriad of ways including just touching it or even standing over it when it's on a table, etc. Or stepping on whatever land Muslims have decided to claim is holy and belonging to Muslims, etc. -- Mosques and Mecca for starters, but of course the crazies like Bin Laden are trying to extend that to whole geographic areas, and just for starters.

It's a religion that takes murder as religiously justifiable as a base tenet, not an unheard of exception. Forget all the other weird stuff -- you lose the ability to be called a peaceful religion when your answer to so many things, especially such incredibly meaningless ones or matters of private conscience, is murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i guess the muslims i know are not the norm, because they do not condone murder

jokerthief
07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i guess the muslims i know are not the norm, because they do not condone murder

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they live in the Middle East, N. Africa, or Asia? If not, I doubt they are the norm.

Blarg
07-30-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that's dumb.

there are just as fanatical elements in judism and christianity, but since you can't tell who is a jew or a christian by looking at them (not that people can with muslims, they just assume they can) it's harder to associate wacked out fanatism with less zelous believers.

It's really ridiculous that because muslims are in some way physically identifiable that such outliers can be seen as typifying an entire religion (of oh say a billion people)

edit: man it pisses me off that people are so myopic

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's dumb. You didn't even read what I said and just went off on some tangent on your own.

I don't think Muslims are particularly identifiable by looking at them. Then again, I live in a neighborhood of predominately dark-skinned people, like I have most all of my life. Maybe for YOU that prejudice applies, but taking it and applying it to others just leads to absurdity.

Again, Christians and Jews don't have murder as an accepted part of their religion.

Whether you feel murder is trivial or not is up to you. Personally, I'm weighing in on the side of murder being non-trivial. That makes me necessarily find a religion that specifically endorses it as quite a bit less than peaceful.

Blarg
07-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Good for them. Strictly adhering to any set of ideas no matter how well they work in the real world is just becoming a moral fossil and a type of coward unwilling to accept the true consequences of what he does -- not walking the talk, but hiding behind it.

There are good parts to most every religion. It's a shame that doesn't change the bad parts, though, and doesn't make people less afraid -- and that word is very operative here -- to speak up about them.

It's the inherent problem of all "received religions" -- once God has supposedly said it, no matter how dumb or ill-fitting, you're stuck with it. All kinds of absurdities, unkindnesses, and cruelties result. And even mentioning it is an easy path to ostracism and isolation at best, and, in some cases, appropriation of one's property and even outright murder.

HopeydaFish
07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Muslims are particularly identifiable by looking at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, apparently the British think that Brazilians look like Muslims too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There's no "typical" Muslim. Right now most of the Muslims we see on the news are Middle Eastern. However, there are millions of black Muslims in Africa. The most populous Muslim country in the world is Indonesia, and those Muslims don't really resemble the Middle Eastern Muslims much at all. Not to mention the Muslims in the Phillipines, and the millions of Chinese Muslims, etc...

Blarg
07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Yup. I live in a Latino neighborhood. There could be thousands of Muslims here, and I wouldn't know it. Looks don't have a whole lot to do with it.