PDA

View Full Version : Attention newbies on coolers!

Irieguy
07-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Alright... whenever the first page of this forum has more than 1 "bad run" thread authored by somebody who thinks that it's even possible for that concept to apply to fewer than a few hundred SNGs, it's time for a refresher.

If you've been on this forum for more than 4 months, you can probably disregard everything below.

Running bad blows. But it blows even worse to not even know what it means to run bad.

If you are new, please read this: That which we shall not speak of (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1765434&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

By the way, since I wrote that post I've seen even worse runs than I described. I was just starting to wrap my mind around SNG variance "back then."

Irieguy

raptor517
07-29-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But it blows even worse to not even know what it means to run bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, id prolly be a happier person if i didnt know what it was like to run bad /images/graemlins/grin.gif holla

The Yugoslavian
07-29-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it blows even worse to not even know what it means to run bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, id prolly be a happier person if i didnt know what it was like to run bad /images/graemlins/grin.gif holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play more N0oB.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Yugoslav

lacky
07-29-2005, 02:51 AM
jesus yugo, I just got him to play less, stfu /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

lacky
07-29-2005, 02:54 AM
BTW, i find it intersting we all posted within 10 min and I'm pretty sure at least 2 of us arn't even playing right now. We waste alot of time here...

Steve

johnnybeef
07-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Can you say 3 30+ buy in downswings in the last two months, and no profit? I can....variance sucks. Get used to it if you wanna play this game for the long haul newbs.

Irieguy
07-29-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you say 3 30+ buy in downswings in the last two months, and no profit? I can....variance sucks. Get used to it if you wanna play this game for the long haul newbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should buy one of Skipperbob's t-shirts. They say:

"I lose more by 6am than most people lose all day."

Irieguy

Ogre
07-29-2005, 03:01 AM
why dont the mods delete all badbeat/"bad run" posts?

raptor517
07-29-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, i find it intersting we all posted within 10 min and I'm pretty sure at least 2 of us arn't even playing right now. We waste alot of time here...

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

well im on BREAK steve. remember? GRIND less, PLAY more? holla

raptor517
07-29-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they come faster than the mod can delete them. holla

Ogre
07-29-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

make me a mod and i'll delete them

johnnybeef
07-29-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, the moderator position is reserved for people who go to chipotle 5 times a week. 4 just doesn't cut it.

Ogre
07-29-2005, 03:21 AM
what if I eat 2 burritos in 1 sitting once per week? does that count as 5 total?

raptor517
07-29-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what if I eat 2 burritos in 1 sitting once per week? does that count as 5 total?

[/ QUOTE ]

no its still only 1 trip. go there once for lunch and once for dinner. holla

skipperbob
07-29-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the Red ones....The Green ones say:
"I'm stuck more picking up dinner checks for Geek 2+2'er's than I am playing $215 SnG's" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait are there chipotles in california?

for some reason i thought it was strictly a dc metro thing.

Nicholasp27
07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
lots of chipotles in atlanta

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The toughest part is wondering if you really are a winning player at all, or if your prior success was just an extended good streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how I feel sometimes.

Here's hoping my luckbox does not malfunction.

Jbrochu
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IT is that peculiar new level of running badly where you actually begin to develop paranormal powers. If your opponent needs precisely the 7 of clubs on the river to beat you, you will KNOW that the 7 of clubs is coming on the river. It's not pessimism, or selective memory, or anything like that. A luminous thread extending from your soul and enveloping the universe will resonate with the 7 of clubs. It's coming, and you know it. PartyPoker will pause an extra blink, as if to acknowledge the event. It's the electronic equivalent of Amarillo Slim winking at you before he slow rolls you in a low limit side game on day 27 of the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was running badly, or experiencing variance, or just plain sucked (I still have not played anywhere near the requisite sample size to know) a month or so ago, this passage really eased my mind a bit.

I was down about 30 buy-ins over a couple of weeks and it seemed like every single one of my opponents 2-outer's were falling on the river and I knew it.

It made it easier to deal with knowing that others go through the same thing and worse. (It was also nice to know that there was a chance I didn't suck, even though I felt pretty sure that I did.)

Quercus
07-29-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle originated in Denver and have spread all over. They seem to be opening them wherever there are Starbucks (it may just be a coincidence here in Houston though.)

A Starbucks is opening within walking distance of my house. I am hopeful....

mlagoo
07-29-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle originated in Denver and have spread all over. They seem to be opening them wherever there are Starbucks (it may just be a coincidence here in Houston though.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I've been fearful of leaving the DC metro area because the thought of going two weeks without a delicious barbacoa burrito makes me sad.

I feel free as a bird

maddog2030
07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been fearful of leaving the DC metro area because the thought of going two weeks without a delicious barbacoa burrito makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been here for 8 years and have no idea what you're talking about. Clearly I am no burrito fan. Chalupa's are where it's at.

Gramps
07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, id prolly be a happier person if i didnt know what it was like to run bad holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Try $13k in just less than 4 days at the $215s. Of course, the last day after hitting the $13k bottom, I won$5k in the last 4 sets of tournies, and got it all back within the next 20 hours of playing. Variance biatch, variance. Takes a long time to adjust to it emotionally at a new level, especially at the $215s where the money is double and the# of buy-ins the swings are increases on top of that. No shame in crushing a lower level and keeping one's sanity in tact.

morgan180
07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding right??? they're all over california.

morgan180
07-29-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle is owned by McDonalds - you'll see them everywhere soon.

networkman
07-29-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Fooken hell! I would LOVE one of those shirts! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pooh74
07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC too now...yum

Slim Pickens
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and the people who work there speak English. Therefore, they cannot make a decent burrito. You're all a bunch of corporate sell-outs.

fnord_too
07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
If that link isn't somewhere in the FAQ or on the wiki, someone is slacking off.

11t
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Your posts have given me solice on many long difficult sessions.

johnnybeef
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hose are the Red ones....The Green ones say:
"I'm stuck more picking up dinner checks for Geek 2+2'er's than I am playing $215 SnG's"

[/ QUOTE ]

the scallops were delicious. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

valenzuela
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
everyone whos now a carpar tunnel had 2 posts back then, wtf!!. To be honest SNG nature usually leaves us with the 40 instead of the 60.

AliasMrJones
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...and the people who work there speak English. Therefore, they cannot make a decent burrito. You're all a bunch of corporate sell-outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may be able to speak English, but here in Denver I order in Spanish at Chipotle. Besides the burritos, I like the tacos suaves and ensaladas.

Slim Pickens
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah... why was my post at the end archived with a much higher post count than I actually has, plus an avitar I didn't get until a few months later?

Ogre
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I bet over 70% of the employees at my local chipotle speak spanish

intheflatfield
07-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Ogre, as in the mythic creature of D&D fame, or as in Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy?

ChoicestHops
07-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Great post, Irie. Im glad you revived the original thread. I know exactly what IT is; and when it starts to occur it seems like the cards out are to get you.

intheflatfield
The flamers would die of bordoom. Have to keep the natives from getting restless....

Ogre
[ QUOTE ]
Ogre, as in the mythic creature of D&D fame, or as in Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

Quercus
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what a corporate sellout is like then I for one welcome our new Burrito Overlords.

The barbacoa is divine (spicy pot roast - who knew?), the pork is quite tasty and even the chicken does not suck.

Ogre
07-29-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what a corporate sellout is like then I for one welcome our new Burrito Overlords.

The barbacoa is divine (spicy pot roast - who knew?), the pork is quite tasty and even the chicken does not suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this post is boaderline OOT material. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slim Pickens
07-29-2005, 08:55 PM
The Chipotle debate (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3003951&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) has been moved to OOT. Sorry for the hijack.

mmbt0ne
07-29-2005, 09:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, the moderator position is reserved for people who can go to an R rated movie

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Ogre
09-05-2005, 12:17 AM
this thread clearly needs to get bumped. I am sick of seeing half of the first page complaining about how bad they are running

cha59
09-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Theyre all over Minnesota too

Ogre
09-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm from St. Cloud. But i reciently retired from eating there for a number of reasons

cha59
09-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Hence the location: no more Chipotle.....

Im from the Twin Cities, theyre everywhere around here. Pretty good food, I think.