PDA

View Full Version : Closing the laptop and keeping downloads alive

Voltron87
07-29-2005, 02:33 AM
When I close my laptop lid, my wireless cuts out and the speed at which im downloading comes to a halt. What can I do about this? the signal is strong, the computer is plugged in. thanks.

07-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Are you using something like a Dell? Also, is the wireless capability built in to your computer or do you have a removable wireless networking card? It sounds like yours is internal, in that case you may want to go to Control Panel > Power Options, and fool around with some of the options there. I have an external card, so I can't really help you in great detail. It sounds like it's definitely a software configuration problem though.

ceyoung
07-29-2005, 03:43 AM
most laptops have the wireless antenna built-in around the monitor. i'd expect this is why your signal goes bad.

FlawedChip
07-29-2005, 05:39 AM
Does your whole computer shut down or come to a halt (standby) when you close the lid to your notebook? If this is the case, you can go into your control panel. Once in the control panel, click on the "Performance and Maintenance" button. When the next window appears, click the "Power Options" button. A new window should appear with a few tabs across the top labeled "Power Schemes," "Alarms," "Power meter," "Advanced," and "Hibernate."

Click on the "Advanced" tab. Once there, look for the option labeled "When I lose the lid of my portable computer:." Change this option to "Do nothing" if "Stand by" is currently the configured option. This will allow your computer to keep working and operating as if you had not closed the lid.

If you already have the computer set to "Do nothing" when the lid closes on your notebook, then the previous posters comment's are most likely correct.

I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Hope this helps.