PDA

View Full Version : Hard time re-reading books

MagicMan08
07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books? I find it very hard to do. I own and have read a lot of the most talked about books.

jmillerdls
07-29-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books?

[/ QUOTE ]

The desire to get better.

uuDevil
07-29-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books?

[/ QUOTE ]

By losing.

Bartman387
07-29-2005, 02:24 AM
To fully understand the material

benfranklin
07-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Rereading a poker book after reading it once and then playing a lot of poker is like reading a travel book about a place you have never been, going there, and then rereading the travel book.

You are not the same person you were when you read it the first time. (If you are, it is time to quit reading and quit playing poker.)

The book is not the same as when you read it the first time. (If it is, it is not a book worth reading, let alone rereading.)

oreogod
07-29-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rereading a poker book after reading it once and then playing a lot of poker is like reading a travel book about a place you have never been, going there, and then rereading the travel book.

You are not the same person you were when you read it the first time. (If you are, it is time to quit reading and quit playing poker.)

The book is not the same as when you read it the first time. (If it is, it is not a book worth reading, let alone rereading.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly true. If you desire to beat this game is great (ie: you really want it) then by the time you come back to the book you will pick up new things, while things giving u trouble before and such simpleton concepts to you...that the advanced stuff u missed out on, becomes clear.

Something like that anyway.

Shandrax
07-29-2005, 03:56 AM
The very first book I read on the subject was Theory of Poker. I didn't know what to do with the example since I didn't know Razz, Draw nor Stud. Now a couple of books later I re-read it and all of a sudden it seems to be much clearer. It seems to me that I understood the concepts much better on the 2nd try than on the 1st. Especially Theory of Poker has this ahhhh-effect on the 2nd read.

I am planning on reading it for a 3rd time.

MagicMan08
07-29-2005, 04:37 AM
That definitely makes a lot of sense, thanks for the well thought out answers. How long would you think is a good time before re-reading a particular book? Or do you jus kind of pick it up? I mean there has to be time for change and such.

Jimmy James
07-29-2005, 05:41 AM
I've probably re-read the HOH's the most ainxw I've become a decent player. I'd say I'm on my 4th or 5th reading of each. When I was just learning, I read Winning Low Limit Hold'em about 10 times, and I still glance thru it every now and then.

I want to be the best possible player that I can be, and I know that takes a full understanding of the game and concepts. In addition, I take notes after each session and reflect on what I did good and what I did bad (trying not to make the same mistakes twice).

R_Ellender
07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Everytime I buy a "new" book, I find myself discovering most "new" concepts hidden within the pages of TOP when I reread. Things like Miller's Short Stack Theory could be learned by thinking deeply about the chapter on implied odds... they don't come into play when you are nearly all-in, so it becomes correct to wait for stronger starting hands and push your edges that are based on your immediate pot odds(GSIH is a good starter book though). You could learn alot about tournament play by reading the chapter on ante structure and a few passages from other chapters that mention things like not pushing small edges on a limited bankroll(in a tournament, your bankroll is limited since you can't rebuy).

I've probably reread TOP the most out of all my books because I believe it is the best book available. With enough time and effort, a player can discover alot of the games secrets through a diligent study of the book.

If you asked me to reread something like Cloutier's book, I doubt I could do it.

AliasMrJones
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That definitely makes a lot of sense, thanks for the well thought out answers. How long would you think is a good time before re-reading a particular book? Or do you jus kind of pick it up? I mean there has to be time for change and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a book differently the second and third time than the first. The first time I read straight through and try to get the main ideas. The second time through I "study" more than read the book. I read it a section at a time. Try to understand 1 or 2 concepts from that section and then play some poker looking to really focus on those 1 or 2 things. Then I read another section and then play again, etc.

jba
07-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I am only able to read a book cover to cover once.

after that, I re-read pages or sections at a time, maybe 10-15 mins at a time. The ideal occasion for me is the bus/train on the way to work. It's about a 10-15 min ride followed by a 10 min walk. I study a section or a few hand problems on the ride and ponder during the walk. When I do this I will skip around to different sections randomly to pick areas where I am weak or do not have the material down pat. I do this until I have covered each section to the point where I don't really gain anything by studying it again.

dropping the kids off at the pool is an obvious 10 minute section reading oppurtunity as well

I currently have TOP, HEPFAP, and weighing the odds in this rotation. I can't really read sshe anymore.

I have read HOH I and II cover to cover, but they won't make the rotation until I'm sick of limit ring.

TransientR
07-29-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books? I find it very hard to do. I own and have read a lot of the most talked about books.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first rule of good reading is rereading. As has been said in various ways by many folks.

Frank

07-29-2005, 11:19 PM
1st time through i read cover-to-cover

2nd time through i pick at sections that i feel deserve a 2nd reading (this is mostly 10 min sessions)

Finally i bust out the notebook and take notes.
i organize the concepts i need to learn in sections (preflop, flop, turn, psychology, aggression, etc, etc)
i try to sum up the concepts into little bite sized chunks.

then i can study from my notebook, and if i need to, i have the page written down so i can re-read the section from the book.

I treat my poker study the same as bio, chem, or math.

my books and this forum are the material.
The online poker rooms are my labs.
B&M are the tests. (pass a test, move up a limit)

[hyp]

TransientR
07-30-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1st time through i read cover-to-cover

2nd time through i pick at sections that i feel deserve a 2nd reading (this is mostly 10 min sessions)

Finally i bust out the notebook and take notes.
i organize the concepts i need to learn in sections (preflop, flop, turn, psychology, aggression, etc, etc)
i try to sum up the concepts into little bite sized chunks.

then i can study from my notebook, and if i need to, i have the page written down so i can re-read the section from the book.

I treat my poker study the same as bio, chem, or math.

my books and this forum are the material.
The online poker rooms are my labs.
B&M are the tests. (pass a test, move up a limit)

[hyp]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your style...

I'm a poor notetaker, but my approach is similar. In lieu of notes, I write reviews and try to explicate concepts to friends, using my own wording. If I stumble, I know I need to reread and study harder.

The mind easily fools itself into thinking it has comprehended a book 90% at first reading, when in reality a lot passes away quickly if not reinforced.

As for poker, it is very easy to give yourself a face-saving 'out' for poor performance...bad luck! And your luck may be bad for a spell, maybe even a long spell, but honest self examination will tell you that you made mistakes in every session/tournament.

It is easy to coast on your strengths, but hard to admit weaknesses and exert yourself to correct them.

Frank

07-31-2005, 02:35 AM
I find that by actually writing down the concepts, it helps to solidify them in my mind.

breaking them down into catagories allow me to focus on ONE tactic/topic per internet session.

after attempting the tactic, i can go back to my notes and give results....
slowly, i can incorperate those ideas into my own "style"
(yes its ALOT of work... i really enjoy poker. so its fun for me)

[hyp]

Steve00007
07-31-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, reading a book for the first time is more difficult. Re-reading it is much easier.