PDA

View Full Version : Better food platform: pizza or the sandwich

[censored]
07-28-2005, 10:33 PM
sandwich (sp)

RunDownHouse
07-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Is the question which food is better, or which food is the better platform for other foods?

Riskwise
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
yeah you gotta specify, i voted sandwich considering it opens up many more options for different kinds than the pizza, although pizza rapes sandwich in taste.

pearljam
07-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Pizza is the better food, but a sandwich is much more versatile and reasonably tasty. I chose sandwich.

MCS
07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree this is ambiguous. Better platform, or better food creation? My answer depends on yours.

eric5148
07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Do you morans ever read subject titles? The word PLATFORM is right there.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree this is ambiguous. Better platform, or better food creation? My answer depends on yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would you least want to see vanish from existance.

AdamL
The fact that you can have a pizza sandwich, but not a sandwich pizza, I think settles it.

BusterStacks
07-28-2005, 11:25 PM
hmmm normally i would have said sandwich but i have been eating pizza like every day and i still want more. i dunno.

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you can have a pizza sandwich, but not a sandwich pizza, I think settles it.

[/ QUOTE ]

SamIAm
07-28-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. It says "Better food platform: pizza or the sandwich? Which food creation is better The Pizza or the Sandwhich?" So, of the two platforms, which is better? Golly, what do you mean by "better"?

I agree that it's ambiguous. I assumed the OP meant "better at fulfilling its platform duties", not "better as food while serving as a platform". (In which case the clear answer is sandwich.)
-Sam

[censored]
07-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Honestly I didn't give it much thought. I was eating a sandwich and I thought damn I love sandwiches but then I saw a pizza commercial and thought yes but I love pizza as well.

Then I thought overall which is the better food concept?

Then I thought, I know I'll start a poll!

SamIAm
07-28-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Whoa. [censored] meant which is the better food, apparently. Although sandwiches clearly support more food options, I would be sad if sandwiches vanished, but heartbroken if pizza vanished.

I want my vote back.
-Sam

IndieMatty
07-28-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
07-28-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Whoa. [censored] meant which is the better food, apparently. Although sandwiches clearly support more food options, I would be sad if sandwiches vanished, but heartbroken if pizza vanished.

I want my vote back.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok sam I was unclear and I don't think these will results will be binding.

valenzuela
07-28-2005, 11:56 PM
pizza, who the fcuk voted sandwich?? WTF!!!! americans are idiots.

gorie
07-29-2005, 12:02 AM
a sandwich is likely to provide more elevation.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
I can't believe this is even up for discussion. The sandwich dominates pizza in every way. Allow me to elaborate:

With a pizza you're limited to choosing what goes on top; the sandwich is much more versatile. With a sandwich, you can pick your bread, meat, vegetables, condiments, you can toast it, melt cheese, eat it open faced, make a double decker sandwich, cut it up and stick toothpicks in it--the list goes on and on.

On top of this, sandwiches are much more portable than pizza and are better at room temperature than pizza, which is usually only good to eat either very hot or very cold. Sandwiches also go better with a larger variety of foods--potato salad, macaroni salad, pretty much any kind of salad, chips, french fries, soup, etc. Pizza is a standalone item; boring, I say.

Pizza also comes from immigrants, whom America hates, and patriotism is all the rage these days.

Don't get me wrong; pizza is delicious, but the sandwich is far superior in almost every way, except that it's easier to have pizza delivered to you. I rest my case.

kerssens
07-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I picked sandwich. I don't know of any pizzas that you can put potato chips in to make them crunch.

Well I guess you could put some chips on a pizza but that would just be nutty.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
On the whole I prefer pizza. There are very few sandwiches I've had that come close, although there are a few.

codewarrior
07-29-2005, 08:39 AM
They also invented pizza.

Lazymeatball
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Sandwiches are what you eat when you can't have pizza. Which is quite often. It is a much more practical platform for delivering food. We'd all like a gourmet pizza three times a day, but it's economically infeasible to bring a brick oven to the office everday.

07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
You can't beat the classic regional sandwiches, like beef on weck, the Philly cheesesteak, po'boys, and pastrami on rye.

There's no real classic American pizzas that are oustandingly amazing, except perhaps the good old-fashioned New York pizza by the slice or Chicago deep dish. Pizza is too bastardized.

SL__72
07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Sandwiches dominate pizza... quicker prep time, you can bring them w/ you places, many more options... and remember, things that are sandwiches:
Philly cheesesteak
Meatball
Burgers
Sloppy Joes
BBQ Brisquet
Sausage/egg/cheese/etc.

Sandwiches >> pizza.

swede123
07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the question my write-in vote goes to Beer.

Swede

BottlesOf
07-29-2005, 10:41 AM
While both allow for a great deal of creativity, the sandwich is much more versatile.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While both allow for a great deal of creativity, the sandwich is much more versatile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on versatility and convenience. For me, that is not what makes "better".

BottlesOf
07-29-2005, 10:46 AM
For me, that's exactly what makes a "better food platform."

gumpzilla
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Pizza also comes from immigrants, whom America hates, and patriotism is all the rage these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to break it to you, but Americans didn't invent the sandwich, either.

theghost
07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Is a burger a sandwich?

SL__72
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't see how it could not be considered a sandwich...

Also grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome.

sfer
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Aside from the obvious "platform" usage and the brilliant observation that pizza sandwiches exist, one should note that, technically, a burger is a type of sandwich.

sfer
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a burger a sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a burger a sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically I guess. But I hate when people refer a burger as a sandwich.

Cashier: Would you like fries with that sandwich?
Me: I didn't order a sandwich. I ordered a [censored] burger.

sfer
07-29-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is a burger a sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically I guess. But I hate when people refer a burger as a sandwich.

Cashier: Would you like fries with that sandwich?
Me: I didn't order a sandwich. I ordered a [censored] burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define sandwhich such that a burger is excluded.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Define sandwhich such that a burger is excluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something with bread on the outside and meat in the middle that isn't something else like a burger.

<font color="white">I said it technically is a sandwich. It just sounds gay to refer to it as one. Just say "burger" for God's sake. </font>

theghost
07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is a burger a sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

[/ QUOTE ]

pizza just lost

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Sandwich, and I'll tell you why.

Pizza is meant to be eaten with pepperoni on it, period. Any other toppings and it becomes something other than pizza... like a weird bread lasagne or something.

Edited to note: Nothing comes close to my favorite pizza. I'll take it in a second over any sandwich. So I prefer pizza over sandwiches, but sandwiches are the more versatile food platform.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pizza is meant to be eaten with pepperoni on it, period. Any other toppings and it becomes something other than pizza... like a weird bread lasagne or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't tell us why.

Shajen
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Does the universe explode if he eats an italian sandwich with pepperoni on it?

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't tell us why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, what I was trying to imply is that there is one correct way to eat pizza, whereas you can make a bazillion different delicious sandwiches. Hence, sandwich = better "food platform."

sfer
07-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I had a pizza that was just had cured pork fat on it a couple of weeks ago and it ruled.

PITTM
07-29-2005, 12:36 PM
as long as french dips exist, sandwiches CRUSH pizza.

rj

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as french dips exist

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean freedom dips?

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a pizza that was just had cured pork fat on it a couple of weeks ago and it ruled.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have ruled, but it wasn't a pizza.

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have giant slabs of bacon as an appetizer?

sfer
07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly was. (http://www.ottopizzeria.com)

Riskwise
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your point, platform for taste or variety?

IndieMatty
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How was this place? I want to try it out. Everyone's raving about Adriennes down here on Stone Street too.

P.S. SC is from the Northwest. He should not be saying what is and what is not pizza.

PITTM
07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

otto lardo is the best pizza name ever, pants down.

rj

sfer
07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Pizzas are hit or miss IMO. Antipasti is really first rate. Octopus is outstanding. Olive oil gelato is divine.

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SC is from the Northwest. He should not be saying what is and what is not pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, couple points.

1) I'm Italian. And while pizza as we know it is largely an American invention, I am particularly qualified to comment on foods that include tomato sauce, cheese and cured meats.

2) Nothing beats American Dream Pizza on 47th and Glisan here in pwntown. I've had pizza in NY.

Boris
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Very good question

daryn
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
1) I'm Italian...

[/ QUOTE ]

so stop using the word "lasagne" instead of "lasagna" when you're talking about one thing

IndieMatty
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SC is from the Northwest. He should not be saying what is and what is not pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, couple points.

1) I'm Italian. And while pizza as we know it is largely an American invention, I am particularly qualified to comment on foods that include tomato sauce, cheese and cured meats.

2) Nothing beats American Dream Pizza on 47th and Glisan here in pwntown. I've had pizza in NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to bet you went to a bad pizza place in NY. There are tons of them (hell law of averages, theres one on each block)

sfer
07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you very well might be uniquely qualified etc etc etc but you must realize that, "I'm Italian, I know pizza..." is roughly the equivalent of, "I'm Irish and on St. Patrick's Day..."

jakethebake
07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you very well might be uniquely qualified etc etc etc but you must realize that, "I'm Italian, I know pizza..." is roughly the equivalent of, "I'm Irish and on St. Patrick's Day..."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny. Last night at the local Bierhaus the subject came up that next week is Swiss Independence Day. Last year, like 50 Swiss people from around town met up at the Bierhaus for Swiss Independence Day. So the bartender asked who Switzerland won its independence from? Not one of them knew. Finally, he goes in the back and looks it up online. It was the Austrians. The bierhaus owner is Austrian. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I haven't read the thread, but the clear answer is sandwich, pretty much however you choose to interpret/frame the question.

IndieMatty
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Last night at the local Bierhaus the subject came up that next week is Swiss Independence Day. Last year, like 50 Swiss people from around town met up at the Bierhaus for Swiss Independence Day. So the bartender asked who Switzerland won its independence from? Not one of them knew. Finally, he goes in the back and looks it up online. It was the Austrians. The bierhaus owner is Austrian. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue-in-cheek, dood.

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to bet you went to a bad pizza place in NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good pizza there. In fact, I'm sure NY pizza is better on average than NW pizza. Easy.

But that's not to say we don't have some great places out here... including the best EVAR /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sfer
07-29-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue-in-cheek, dood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to up the voltage on my sarcasm detector now, thank you.

SomethingClever
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to up the voltage on my sarcasm detector now, thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teen 1: Oh, here comes the Cannonball guy. He's cool.
Teen 2: Are you being sarcastic?
Teen 1: I don't even know anymore.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-29-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to break it to you, but Americans didn't invent the sandwich, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm aware. That part wasn't meant to be taken seriously.