PDA

View Full Version : the 2nd nuts is worth a raise, right?

billyjex
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
disclaimer: I suck at PLO and don't play it much. Whenever I do, however, I seemed to get stacked holding the 2nd or 3rd nuts. So onto the hand in question..

Stars $50 PLO. .25/.50 blinds. We're 7-handed. Table has been loose with sporadic aggression. I am sitting with about $60, UTG has $40.

I am on the button w/ KxK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifTx. UTG limps, I limp, SB calls and BB checks.

4 to a flop of 9 8 7r, one diamond. Blinds check, UTG pots it (1.9,) and I just call. Blinds fold.

This is a pretty bad call, right? Do I need to raise to protect my hand against some straight draws (T9, QJ)? Or should I proceed cautiously..

Turn is a Q, completing the rainbow. UTG again pots it (5.5) At this point I'm scared of JT and don't want to get reraised.. so I call.

River is a 6. UTG now only bets $4. This makes me think he's either weak or is trying to get a call from a hand that was drawing and might have picked up something. So I just call again.

joewatch
07-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Fold as fast as you can. 2nd nuts and no redraws, get on to the next hand.

Rosie5
07-29-2005, 06:49 AM
The 2nd nuts isn't THAT bad when it's not a straight.

This guy has the case nut hand here. He's trying to make you pay on the flop + turn and then extract value on the river. Your flop call isn't horrendous if you said you were going to see what he did on the turn and try to get a lil fancy I'd say ok, but how you then called him on the turn and river I have no clue. The river falls blank and all the sudden he lets up, I smell a rat.

The second nuts when it's a straight is really dangerous. Let it go every time in an unraised pot unless you have position, if you have position then you have some certainty that your hand is good if it checks to you, you bet and a person calls. They'll almost never have the best possible hand. then if the turns is blank you can fire again and scare them away or buy a free showdown. That's about the only time your hand is worth investing any money in when the pot isn't raised.

but here you definitely want to fold, he has the lead in the hand, you want to be certain you have the best hand if you want to play with a person who has taken the lead.

Oh man if I only knew how much of a warning side their flop lead meant a few months ago I' d be rich! rich I say /images/graemlins/wink.gif

All you can beat is the same hand being bet by a donk /images/graemlins/grin.gif Just ask yourself how hard it is for someone to outflop you, out of these 7 peoples did I certainly have the best of it? if the answer is no then just fold.

billyjex
07-29-2005, 09:08 AM
thanks for the advice. i have a lot to learn about this game.

my hand was good though, villian was a donk i guess. he had 98 or so for 2 pair.

Rosie5
07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the advice. i have a lot to learn about this game.

my hand was good though, villian was a donk i guess. he had 98 or so for 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you won that one but most of the time you won't be so happy. I can't deny there are some players that will throw a good player off, but I play JT the same way villan played top two here and it's not like it's so hard to believe someone doesn't have JT in an unraised pot /images/graemlins/wink.gif

some donkeys (like this one) are so bad that they accidently bluff you off hands because they don't realize how weak their hand actually is. You'll make some bad reads and laydowns but you'll do just fine in terms of profitability and a lot better in variance if you take the advice of the first reply and myself /images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's generally bad to be calling down a flopped made hand with no draw in the low stakes omaha games. I don't remember when I last did it.