PDA

View Full Version : UTG AJo I have t1350 blinds = 50/100 bb~ 4.5bb

Maulik
07-28-2005, 08:57 PM
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:14341956 Level:4 Blinds(50/100) - Thursday, July 28, 20:28:07 EDT 2005
Table Table 11235 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: JOELSGOLD ( $495 )
Seat 3: winemonster ( $2125 )
Seat 7: Sac_King04 ( $1550 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $1300 )
Seat 2: Kogs1 ( $1345 )
Seat 9: bcarlzson ( $1185 )
Trny:14341956 Level:4
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Js Ad ]
Hero calls [100].
<font color="green"> its these situations that are killing me. I think this is a muck, given the bb is going to call and I'm UTG. I'm not certain I really like pushing all-in. Given this hand and my stack size I think its a marginal push and a marginal muck? </font>

tigerite
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
It's an extremely marginal push. I think I just lay this down, to be honest.

Nick B.
07-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Why can't you make a normal raise. I would make it 275 approximately 100% of the time.

SammyKid11
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I think it's a clear, yet distasteful, muck. You're UTG w/ AJo with 13xBB left, you very likely will get called - and you don't want that. Pick a better spot, even if it's with a worse hand.

tigerite
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
It's possible, but again, can you call an all-in? I guess it depends who from, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable about it?

curtains
07-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Folding is fine as is making a normal raise, allin is too much. Also assuming the BB will call no matter what is wrong. People routinely fold with only 1/5th of your stack posted preflop.

iMsoLucky0
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I'd raise it to 250 and pray I got the shortstack all in.

If a bigger stack pushes I probably fold (depending on the player).

Not that difficult a hand to play at all.

SammyKid11
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you make a normal raise. I would make it 275 approximately 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a terrible idea, but what's your plan when someone pushes over the top of you? You prepared to CALL all-in with your AJo? You prepared to forfeit over 20% of your stack to a re-raise?

I think a normal raise in this situation will often leave you with an awkward decision to make. If you're confident enough in your reads of the table, then maybe a regular raise is a good play. If you don't feel you have a handle on most of your opponents -- just lay it down.

Maulik
07-28-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a terrible idea, but what's your plan when someone pushes over the top of you? You prepared to CALL all-in with your AJo? You prepared to forfeit over 20% of your stack to a re-raise?

I think a normal raise in this situation will often leave you with an awkward decision to make. If you're confident enough in your reads of the table, then maybe a regular raise is a good play. If you don't feel you have a handle on most of your opponents -- just lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: I'm glad I played this hand re-played this tournament this has been very education.

If I took the line of raising ~2.5bb I think calling w/ 2:1 or better is good?

Nick B.
07-28-2005, 09:33 PM
What is wrong with the bb calling? In order to not have to deal with a reraise, you would rather open push for 13bb, and completely lose any chance at information? If you make a normal raise and somebody overpushes (which everybody assumes will happen, for some unknown reason), and then somebody else calls all in, you can easily muck.

Also, when a bb is pot committed you can't go after them with trash hands that aren't a favorite over a random hand. With AJ, I wouldn't mind a race with a shortstack.

adanthar
07-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I make a normal raise here. You can easily fold to a push from anyone but the BB and want his chips.

AQ is the fun hand in this spot, because you have to call the reraise and that usually sucks, too.

curtains
07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
btw I definitely make a normal raise here too. AJo 3 off the button is too strong for me. Although I doubt folding will cost you much at all. However I don't fold here.

tigerite
07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
This is a much better spot than the recent threads, for sure, where people have been raising with KJo for lots of their stack, I like this move, as you say you can muck depending on opponent and stack size. But I don't mind calling a shorter stack and probably being ahead.

yabastid
07-29-2005, 03:29 AM
I fold this. You still have a ways to go. Don't get involved with this hand.

The way I see it, if you make raise and someone comes over the top or if you get a caller and get bet into on a crappy flop you'll have to let it go. Next you move into the blinds and in 2 hands will be at 875 in chips (not to mention if the blinds go up next hand or when your in the SB which would change things as well). Finally, and this is my biggest reason for folding, you are right around the corner from push monkey time and I want to have all the chips I possibly can to cover the 3 other medium stacks and to have MAX FE. This is an easy fold for me.

yabastid

suited_ace
07-29-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
btw I definitely make a normal raise here too. AJo 3 off the button is too strong for me. Although I doubt folding will cost you much at all. However I don't fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even this being a $10+1? I think this is a spot where the buy-in comes into play. To me that's an auto-muck at the $11s.

curtains
07-29-2005, 04:13 AM
Yeah folding is fine. I play differently than I read sometimes. Usually a little more on the cautious side in late game bubble situations. It'd depend how I felt about the table as to what I'd do. I'm pretty sure that when I was playing the 20s-50s, I would fold this.