PDA

View Full Version : Weak AK

HentaiGaijin
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

I expected MP1 to bet the flop and was intending to call. Should I be raising in this situation instead?

OrianasDaad
07-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Grunch:

I lead this flop. There's a good chance your hand is best here, but it is very vulnerable to cards pairing your two opponents. The problem with checking is that the only way to continue with the hand is if everybody checks through. If you get raised on this board, then it's pretty easy to let go. If you check and MP1 or MP3 bets, it complicates things greatly.

With the flop check-through, it's rather likely that it missed everybody. I play the turn the same, and call a raise.

I check this river card as well, and probably fold to a bet from MP3. He could very well have a 7 or 5.

Play in a way that will simplify your decision making. Being able to put your opponents on ranges of hands helps as well. Since your hand is probably best, then bet it.

@bsolute_luck
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
it is likely you have the best hand here on the flop. by checking, you give your opponents infinite odds. by betting, yes, they may call figuring you to have UI overcards and suckout on you on the turn, but that is no reason to not make them pay now to draw. plus any fold helps your hand if it doesn't improve.

i doubt anyone thinks you have a 9 in your hand as you would have bet the flop with 99 and i doubt you're 3-betting A9s from SB, so i'd check/call here too.

Fantam
07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I dont think that betting the flop would have been terrible, but I also dont think that there was a lot in it.

Maybe you might have had some fold equity, if you had bet the flop, but I imagine that MP1 would probably have called with overcards and MP3 would probably have raised with an 8 or called with a 6 or a pocket pair.

Anyway, if you had bet the flop, a turn bet might have also folded MP3, but some players will call down if they have a pocket pair or a 6 in this situation.

Overall, you had a weak draw (which overcards usually are) on a somewhat coordinated board, which checking and calling/folding to a bet would not have been unreasonable on.

Entity
07-28-2005, 09:27 PM
This is a really easy flop bet 3-handed. Bet the best hand.

Fantam
07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold if raised ?

Entity
07-28-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold if raised ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call if raised, see a turn card.

Rob

Fantam
07-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for filling in the gap Rob.

HentaiGaijin
07-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. MP3 turned over A5 with a river pair ftw. I suspect had I raised on the flop the hand would have gone differently.