PDA

View Full Version : August $20k Quest

stinkypete
07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I've always enjoyed these quest posts, and since I've been less than happy with my results in July and need some discipline in my game, I think I'll try a quest of my own.

Poker Goals:

1. Stick to $10/$20 6-max and stop screwing around and LAGging it up in bigger games when I'm bored.

2. Play 40,000 hands.

3. Earn 20,000 dollars before rakeback.

Other Goals:

1. Play at least 15 rounds of golf. This isn't a lot. If I don't do this, I suck.

2. Get my handicap below 9. Currently at 9.9

I'll be posting daily updates starting August 1. Any suggestions on the type of content to include will be taken into consideration.

Surfbullet
07-28-2005, 08:32 PM
GL with the quest bro. If my math is correct it looks like you're hoping to run at 2.5BB/100 over these 40,000 jands - an auspicious task to be sure. I wish you the best.

Surf

stinkypete
07-28-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GL with the quest bro. If my math is correct it looks like you're hoping to run at 2.5BB/100 over these 40,000 jands - an auspicious task to be sure. I wish you the best.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

no point in planning on running bad! i think it should be doable if i can keep myself from tilting too much... but then i'm not sure if staying off tilt is a realistic goal :P

PorscheNGuns
07-28-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always cringed in pain at the very site of these quest posts, but since I've suffered life crippling losses in July and need something, hell, anything to improve my game, I think I'll try a quest of my own.

Poker Goals:

1. Keep my head above water until my next unemployment check clears

2. Move up from .02/.04 to .10/.20 limit once my bankroll is big enough

Other Goals:

1. Calculate Pi

2. Finally get my ass to Lowe's and apply for the weekday morning shift

I'll be posting daily updates starting August 1 if I don't take my own life before then. Any suggestions on on where to eat dinner tonight, Denny's or Arby's, will be taken into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

SmileyEH
07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
That was actually quite good. Stinkypete: you go girl!

-SmileyEH

FrankTheTank
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow, your situation is pretty much exactly the same as mine (10/20, need to cut down on LAG-ing). Every month I tell myself I'll get 40k hands but my max so far is 22k /images/graemlins/frown.gif. How many tables do you play, and do you use game selection, PV, etc., or just sit down? GL, and I look forward to following your progress.

grouchie
07-28-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. Finally get my ass to Lowe's and apply for the weekday morning shift

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I work at Lowe's
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

34TheTruth34
07-28-2005, 11:03 PM
best. FYP. ever.

Equal
07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
GL with your quest.

As for golf, pick up Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible. Practice and play instead of just playing and you should be able to get down 7 or 8 in a month easy.

imported_stealthcow
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
i'd spend less time posting those brag posts that make everyone else feel like crap and maybe post some hands with good content so we can learn from your mad skillz.

btw i think im setting a similar goal of 8k at 5/10sh so i can make the jump to 10/20 by end of summer

stealthcow-

bugstud
07-29-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always enjoyed these quest posts, and since I've been less than happy with my results in July and need some discipline in my game, I think I'll try a quest of my own.

Poker Goals:

1. Post a win in HULA
2. Get team captain strippers

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

baronzeus
07-29-2005, 03:37 AM
I'm on the downswing of my life. My goal is to not be down money in 30days.

oreogod
07-29-2005, 03:59 AM
That bad? We talking 150 here or more?

stinkypete
07-29-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Post a win in HULA

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't necessary. my team kicks so much ass, even if i lose every match, we will win 4-1 every week.

stinkypete
07-29-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd spend less time posting those brag posts that make everyone else feel like crap and maybe post some hands with good content so we can learn from your mad skillz.

[/ QUOTE ]

i will try to include such hands in my updates.

baronzeus
07-29-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That bad? We talking 150 here or more?

[/ QUOTE ]

150 waht? Dollars? BBs? Try like 350BBs at everything I try. I'm considering dropping back to 0.5/1

imported_CaseClosed326
07-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Hey, I was there at the begining of this month too. It sucks. Good luck.

MicroBob
07-29-2005, 10:50 PM
this is interesting because just a couple days before your post I had decided on a similar August-goal.

Mine is 30k hands of 10/20 6-max for $10k.

I'm not fully 'up to' 10/20 yet though so I am reserving the right to slide back to 5/10 or even 3/6 whenever I feel like it.

But I've been running well of late so I'm hoping I can last the whole month at 10/20 and get the hands in.

Instead of golf I have set some running goals for August.
I need to go running almost every day this month so that I don't feel I am holding back my rec-league soccer teams (I'm 34 and many of my teammates are under 30).

Back from Vegas and out of shape (again) I had a near-death experience trying to play 6-on-6 half-field in 100-degree heat last Sunday and I want to avoid that embarassment in the future.

I still have a goal that I would like to run a marathon somewhere in my lifetime....but since I'm currently at about 3 miles at the most I guess I have some training to do in order to achieve that (a marathon is 26.2 miles).

anyway - good luck to us both in our poker, golf, running and soccer goals for august!!!

Perseus
07-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Baron.

I'm currently on my own biggest downswing of the last year and a half. Not as bad as yours, but pretty darn bad. Just to let you know you're not alone...

...you're posts and advice are good, you'll come out of it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S sometimes it helps to learn a different game. Last time I had a downswing I learned O8 at .5/1 and it made poker fun again...this time I'm thinking stud...

might be worth a shot. Take your mind off hold'em. GL

TStoneMBD
07-30-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
best. FYP. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. its the worst.

dogmeat
07-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Good luck with your quest, Stinky. You are going to post every day? Then my suggestion is your content should be hysterical, or I'll be too bored to read it by the third day.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

etizzle
07-30-2005, 02:26 AM
hula>20k

TStoneMBD
07-30-2005, 05:14 AM
oh btw good luck!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stinkypete
07-30-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are going to post every day?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, i'm guessing i'll probably end up doing a few days at a time, but i haven't really decided on a schedule. i'll probably just post whenever i feel like it.

RevAgain
07-30-2005, 10:34 AM
This is excellent advice, a rarity on these boards at the moment:

1) You drop down in limits to where the money is meaningless.

2) You have to start to use your brain again in the way that made poker fun to start with. You are learning, not just assessing the situation then applying what already learnt to it.

These mean you're back actually 'playing' rather than working and poker, like most things, is done much better when you're enjoying it. When you remember what it's like to post a winning session or two you can get the positive attitude you need at your usual game.

[ QUOTE ]
Baron.
P.S sometimes it helps to learn a different game. Last time I had a downswing I learned O8 at .5/1 and it made poker fun again...this time I'm thinking stud...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perseus
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is excellent advice, a rarity on these boards at the moment:

1) You drop down in limits to where the money is meaningless.

2) You have to start to use your brain again in the way that made poker fun to start with. You are learning, not just assessing the situation then applying what already learnt to it.

These mean you're back actually 'playing' rather than working and poker, like most things, is done much better when you're enjoying it. When you remember what it's like to post a winning session or two you can get the positive attitude you need at your usual game.

[ QUOTE ]
Baron.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's exactly my rational. I'm almost looking to 5 future downswings from now when I can finally learn crazy pineapple w/ a full kill /images/graemlins/grin.gif

xCEO
07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always enjoyed these quest posts

[/ QUOTE ]

stinkypete
07-31-2005, 04:09 PM
i change my mind. poker is gay. no quest.

baronzeus
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poker is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

MicroBob
07-31-2005, 05:40 PM
i already knew that poker is gay but i'm still doing my quest.

(blogs, are gay too...but I still have one. quests and quest-journals are pretty gay as well fwiw)

is this just such a mind-blowing revelation that you are seriously blowing off the whole quest-thing?

stinkypete
07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

is this just such a mind-blowing revelation that you are seriously blowing off the whole quest-thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

i have changed my mind though, the quest is back, but with new goals:

- play less than 15,000 hands of poker
- win at poker. amount irrelevant.
- play at least 25 rounds of golf

i lost about $10k this week and have been tilting a lot so i need to do something else for a while.

i may add another goal:

- learn NL

also, i will not be posting updates.

MicroBob
07-31-2005, 08:43 PM
ouch. yes, -$10k will do that do you.

that's why i reserve the right to say "well...screw this goal-thing. i'm back to 3/6 and 5/10 for awhile."

i'm only kind of determined to make it through my goal of 30k hands. if i drop enough at the start i'm not about to stay up there and risk losing even more in a game i'm not sure i'm good enough for anyway.

however, i had a very nice performance the past couple of nights to pad the bankroll a bit more...so my chances of staying up there through the duration of the month are slightly increased.

sorry you won't be posting your updates though. was looking forward to them. perhaps you'll change your mind on that too. journal-update posts are definitely gay...but i like them.

Kyo Souma II
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I've decided to embark on a quest myself..

-spank it no more than once a day. Spank quota does not roll over.
-play cards.
-take people's money at cards.
-eat at least 2 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
-write a troll reply to at least one el diablo post per week.
-get laid.

-kyo

Subfallen
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided to embark on a quest myself..

-spank it no more than once a day. Spank quota does not roll over.
-play cards.
-take people's money at cards.
-eat at least 2 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
-write a troll reply to at least one el diablo post per week.
-get laid.

-kyo

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, only KKF123 may publicize his masturbation habits (or lack thereof.) You lose. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

08-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Id go with ARBYS bro i like there beff sandwitches with arby sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Joe Tall
08-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Pete,

I have to say this is a bad idea that can iduce more tilt and take you off your A-game as you'll feel obligated to play. If you feel you "have" to play and don't "want" to play how are concentrating on playing good poker? You aren't. 20k/months just happen, you run good, play good and you want to play so you play more and when you do play you are on your A-game and it'll just happen.

You can do this in 10k hands if you were to play A-game and run OK.

Tilt is the #1 leak.

djack
08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with this completely. One of the things we've learned about the quests is how hard they are to do. Running good just happens -- we don't control it. When you have a quest, you're too focused on results and that can induce tilt.

Surfbullet
08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this completely. One of the things we've learned about the quests is how hard they are to do. Running good just happens -- we don't control it. When you have a quest, you're too focused on results and that can induce tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Quests (if there is a time constraint) should be about a # of hands, not a # of $. it's pointless and inevitably leads to tilt rather than promoting an increase in interest in the game as it is meant to do.

Surf

stinkypete
08-03-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Quests (if there is a time constraint) should be about a # of hands, not a # of $. it's pointless and inevitably leads to tilt rather than promoting an increase in interest in the game as it is meant to do.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

a # of hands quest would be boring.

stinkypete
08-03-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pete,

I have to say this is a bad idea that can iduce more tilt and take you off your A-game as you'll feel obligated to play. If you feel you "have" to play and don't "want" to play how are concentrating on playing good poker? You aren't. 20k/months just happen, you run good, play good and you want to play so you play more and when you do play you are on your A-game and it'll just happen.

You can do this in 10k hands if you were to play A-game and run OK.

Tilt is the #1 leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

joe, your points are very valid. i chose 40k hands because i was pretty certain i would play more anyway, and $20k as a number that would just make the quest more interesting to follow. i fully realize that if i ran even a bit bad, i could fall well below the $20k mark in 40k hands.

really i just intended the quest as a form of motivation for staying at 10/20 because i have run bad in the bigger games i have played and been on tilt because of it.

but as i mentioned in another post, i've decided to do something completely different for a while. i've been playing some NL200 and NL400 the past 2 days and have been doing well. in fact, i'm on pace for about a $40k month :P (yes, sample size much too small, i know)

Surfbullet
08-03-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

a # of hands quest would be boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

True - then do a # of $ quest but don't put a time constraint on it.

Surf

arkady
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
pete,

i tihnk its a good idea to revise the goal. shooting for a number in poker in my opinion has always been problematic. The game and it's natural variance simply does not work like that.

Btw, I assume you were/are 4 tabling?