PDA

View Full Version : JTo in SB, unorthodox line vs LaP

Bodhi
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

The BB is loose and passive preflop and postflop, doesn't raise hands like KJs preflop, doesn't raise TPGK postflop. I love my seat position because he rarely raises, and always calls down. Moreover, he usually defends his BB by calling down.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

imported_CaseClosed326
07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I would raise this preflop. And bet the river. He seems like the type will call with any pocket pair enough times to make this profitable.

Bodhi
07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Right, but maybe I didn't make my thought process explicit enough. Is it worth it to raise here against someone who will always call? I almost never limp in this sort of situation, but it seemed like an exception.

MrStretchie
07-28-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, but maybe I didn't make my thought process explicit enough. Is it worth it to raise here against someone who will always call? I almost never limp in this sort of situation, but it seemed like an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they will always call, I'd say completing is usually better unless they miraculously become a good player postflop. (Because JTo is a favourite over a random hand, but your edge will be bigger postflop.)

Against any kind of normal player I'd check/call the river here. But against a very loose/passive postflop player, value bet (fold to a raise obviously).

chief444
07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Personally, I think you should have check/folded the turn. From your description you're pretty likely behind. On the other hand, even passive opponents tend to get more aggressive in blind vs. blind situations. But since you got to the river I'd check/call. He'll probably check behind JJ-KK or another T.

Open completing in the SB against a very loose/passive BB is IMO fine.

Bodhi
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I won't say exactly what he had, but my open-limping caused him to get overly frisky. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bobbyi
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Open completing in the SB against a very loose/passive BB is IMO fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but I think with JT you still want to raise. With something speculative like 57s, I would complete and hope he checks and we take a flop cheap.

With two broadway cards, I'm still raising even if he is fairly loose. If he always calls, you are a favorite against two random cards anyway and if he sometimes folds trash (which even a loose player will typically do sometimes), I like that better than giving him a free flop to try to make something.

chief444
07-28-2005, 09:40 PM
bobbyi,

Actually, I agree. I was thinking more generally but yeah I'd still raise JT as well.

Chief