PDA

View Full Version : A10 vs KJ

07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I've been playing casually for about 2 years, mostly SNG's. I say "casually" because while I pay attention while I play, and I read a bit, I'm not studying this game as much as I probably should. Even so, playing mostly $22 games, I'm up about $3000. The last 6 months or so though I've come to a halt. I'm barely keeping even, can't seem to get going, and I'm starting to think that the first $3000 was mostly luck. I still have so much to learn.

OK, here's my question.

I'm in last in a 10-seat SNG with 4 people remaining. $300 blinds and I've got maybe $1200. I get A-10, or A-6 or A-whatever. I go all-in and get called by KQ, or K10 or by 10-9, any two cards between mine. I've lost the last 5 out 6 situations like this. Am I crazy or should I be winning more of these?

I realize that my bigger problem is finding myself short-stacked near the end of the game, but I'm working on that.

Please let me know that whether in this situation I'm playing correctly.

SheridanCat
07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
In an all-in situation (where you're going to showdown no matter what) ATo vs. KJo is about a 60:40 favorite. It seems like it should be more, shouldn't it, but that's what Poker Stove says. These number change slightly if the suits overlap. So, your experience probably isn't all that strange since your sample size is so small.

As for whether it's right to push all-in when short stacked and on the bubble, the answer is probably yes.

You said $300 blinds, so I'll assume the blinds are $200 and $100. You have $1200. That means your raw M is only 4. But it get's worse. Of the original 10 players, there are only 4 left. So your effective M is less than 2. You can survive only 4 rounds (16 hands or so) so you must make a move right now while you have chips to make a move with. So, yes, about any ace is good. I'd try to get it all in with about any hand better than Q6o or so.

For more on the M factor and how that influences your play, see Harrington On Hold'em, Vol 2.

Regards,

T

Webster
07-29-2005, 07:44 AM
With 4 people playing I wait for OTHERS to play. Somebody will make a mistake and you will be in the money.

No need to put your ass on the line with out top 5 hands in my book. In my last 50 SnGs (mostely $22-$33) I'm ITM 50% and ROI 41%. SOMEBODY will go all-in before you forced to.

Wait them out.

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that my bigger problem is finding myself short-stacked near the end of the game, but I'm working on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your goal - to WIN the SnG or to win money. Once you re ITM - THEN be a berserker unit.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

the_joker
07-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Ax is a favorite over two cards in between. Losing 5 of 6 is just variance. If you're playing SNG's, you should definitely learn the basic pre-flop all-in odds.

Also, it's impossible to tell if you played properly without blind/stack size information. If it's down to 4 people and one is almost out, it may be incorrect to push into a bigger stack with AT, but most other times I'd say it's usually correct. Post some of these hands in the 1-table tournament forum.