PDA

View Full Version : What a difference Hellmuth Makes

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I've been unable to watch the UltimateBet.net Poker Challenge on Fox Sports up until now because it was just so booooring. Until I tuned in in today and found Hellmuth one of the Commentators. What a difference Hellmuth makes. He is by far the best Poker Commentator I've heard. They should hire him for the WPT when he's available. He's like the Howard Cosell of Poker.

Also, the commercial with Annie Duke is hillarious.

PairTheBoard

Jackal
07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I couldn't disagree more. He was still extremely annoying. Sure, he is better than the WSOP and WPT commentators, but that sure as heck isn't saying much. I'd much rather have someone like Lindgren or Harman. They were pretty good in the WSOP Final Table commentary.

07-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I liked Hellmuth at first and then he got a little anonying on the broadcast. I teter back and forth between getting a kick out of how obnoxious he is and being anonyed by how obnoxious he is. I think he's good for poker though because he draws attention to it.

Quicksilvre
07-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I didn't find Harman that good. Too dry. Lindgren, however, was very good. I would have rather listened to him on the UB broadcast.

Smoothcall
07-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I agree. Except not howard cosell. More like McEnroe. Nasty imature player but entertaining on the court and in the announcer booth.

carpe2k
07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Hellmouth surprised me on the cardplayer audio of the Final Table. He can be obnoxious sometimes, but I think he has passion and a reverance for the game. He was constantly adding historical perspectives and the stuff with Puggy was funny. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Chairman Wood
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
I used to hate him but after I heard the WSOP broadcast I've become a fanboy. His commentary is awesome.

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Except not howard cosell. More like McEnroe. Nasty imature player but entertaining on the court and in the announcer booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I was going out on a limb with Cosell. I like the McEnroe comparison too.

PairTheBoard

Quicksilvre
07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I think the McEnroe comparison is right on. I can't imagine anyone more similar.

daryn
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
i agree 100%. his analysis is often dead on even without seeing the hole cards

Smoothcall
07-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Yes he's a little annoying. But thats part of what makes him intetresting to watch and to listen to. To see what he will say next. And his analysis is much better than anyone doing it now.

ClaytonN
07-28-2005, 11:40 PM
What turned me into a Hellmuth fan, really, was the fact he took so much time out of his personal life to contribute to the CardPlayer final table radio broadcast into the wee, wee hours of the morning. And keep in mind, that morning was his birthday. And he's giving a really enjoyable final table broadcast. That says things.

I also totally agree with his opinion on why it would be silly to play Negreanu HU for any large sum of money.

MushashiAce
07-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Phil is by far the best commentator I've heard, so I think your wrong. He really brought the audio commentary of the WSOP ME to life, and his commentating is very in depth and intelligent. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jackal
07-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Being annyoing is in way interesting to me. It is, as it turns out, actually just annoying. If i want to watch someone be arrogant and obonxious i'll just turn on Real World or something. And i don't think his analysis was anywhere near as good as Lindgren.

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 01:24 AM
I wasn't referring to lindgren or anyone from the audio at the wsop. I didn't catch much of the broadcast. I was referring to all the guys on tv.

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Well i don't necessarily agree it was so nice of him to take time out of his busy schedule. I think Phil is thinking business and wants to broadcast one day maybe. And keep his name in the limelight and well known to sell books and other such things.

Btw what did he say about playing the HU matches against daniel? Does he think he plays better than daniel? And why did he say it was silly? Thanks for your response.

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 01:32 AM
I didn't here the broadcast but bet lindgren is a better player than Phil H and probably much more insightful than Phil. But i also bet it would be more fun listening to hellmuth each week to see what he says and does. Lindgren is a more of a meat and potatoes guy.

A_Junglen
07-29-2005, 02:05 AM
That commerical is funny the first 2 times..but it's on EVERY commercial break...ahh

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 03:21 AM
???? are you referring to a comercial if so which? Or are you trying to be sarcastic in response to my saying Eric L. is probably a better player than Phil H. If the latter go ask Daniel N. who the better player is.

A_Junglen
07-29-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
???? are you referring to a comercial if so which? Or are you trying to be sarcastic in response to my saying Eric L. is probably a better player than Phil H. If the latter go ask Daniel N. who the better player is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Original poster mentioned how the Hellmuth/Duke commercial was humorous. I said I thought it was funny but it got repetitve quickly...

07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
I thought his broadcast of the WSOP main event final table on cardplayer was really entertaining. He talked about himself a lot of course, but he also gave analysis about the hands that you don't hear on WPT or ESPN ever.

OldLearner
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about you.

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
My apologies. I had forgotten about the commercial. Thats why i was asking what you were talking about.

Yeah i thought it was funny too. At least the premise. But they could done more with it.

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Thats why i asked. i didnt say it was, i asked if it was.

PairTheBoard
07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That commerical is funny the first 2 times..but it's on EVERY commercial break...ahh

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I got a kick out of it though every time the Jerry Springer Type bouncer stepped in to prevent possible violence.

PairTheBoard

carpe2k
07-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Interesting about the McEnroe comparisons. Doyle Brunson and Howard Lederer were on McEnroe's Show (when it was still on last year) and they both joked with John about a certain player who was the "McEnroe" of poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CaptSensible
07-30-2005, 01:14 AM
I thought Howard Lederer did a great job when I saw him doing commentary. I liked him and Annie together too.
Howard was a "just the facts" kind of commentator but his understanding of the game makes his commentary fascinating to me. Personally I think Helmuth is great. As a player and commentator. I like his brattiness. He kind of expresses the way we all feel when we get that suck out bad beat, lol.
What I REALLY like about him is that he knows he's a brat and earlier on expressed an understanding that it wasn't cool and he needed to become a bit more mature about it all. I, personally, think that it's good buisness for him and he realizes that what was once just "bad form" is now good tv. I think he uses that image to his advantage now.

XPac
07-30-2005, 03:14 AM
Good point Johnny come lately...Riddle me this, why haven't you killed yourself, seriously you're OBVIOUSLY not getting laid you queer....

Jackal
07-30-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good point Johnny come lately...Riddle me this, why haven't you killed yourself, seriously you're OBVIOUSLY not getting laid you queer....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...you're right, i guess your mom doesn't count.

Self Made
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I was also amazed by how good Hellmuth's commentary on the UB/Fox event was. I instantly put him into the top two poker announcers on TV, along witht the other Phil, Gordon.

ClaytonN
07-31-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well i don't necessarily agree it was so nice of him to take time out of his busy schedule. I think Phil is thinking business and wants to broadcast one day maybe. And keep his name in the limelight and well known to sell books and other such things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but I would like to think a lot of people would not go out of their way to promote their own business by staying up until 6 AM of their birthday /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Btw what did he say about playing the HU matches against daniel? Does he think he plays better than daniel? And why did he say it was silly? Thanks for your response.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said it woulnd't make sense to play Daniel even IF he was a 55% favorite. He explained self-weighting strategy in layman's terms.